Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU upgrade question... i7 or Core2Duo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everybody... i have a simple question...

which CPU of these two (Core i7 or E8400) gives more FPS when is comes to dolphin (at the same clock)...

maybe i wanna go for an i7 950. if not, i will stock on my current CPU. because it is good for new Computer Games.
Core i7 definitely
For Dolphin there won't be much of a difference between C2D and I7 clocked at 4.0 but modern pc games will benefit a lot from it.
(08-31-2010, 03:47 AM)fagoatse Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin there won't be much of a difference between C2D and I7 clocked at 4.0 but modern pc games will benefit a lot from it.

thanks, thats all i want to know Big Grin
0-30% performance boost if you switch from wolfdale to nehalem.
(08-31-2010, 08:12 AM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]0-30% performance boost if you switch from wolfdale to nehalem.

when it comes to dolphin? or pc games?
The core I7 has 6 cores, and the core 2 duo has 2 (obvious =P).
In my experiance, it's not the number of cores you have, but how fast it's clocked at.
you don't understand

what i mean is: if the i7 runs at same clock as an E8400, will those 2 have the same performance in dolphin? or not?
(11-27-2010, 03:49 AM)thecrusader118 Wrote: [ -> ]The core I7 has 6 cores, and the core 2 duo has 2 (obvious =P).
In my experiance, it's not the number of cores you have, but how fast it's clocked at.

What the Heck ?
Only the i7 980X has 6 Cores and you may get a 30% Increase by switching to a Core i7.
(And overclock it)

None of this matters. With efb to ram memory bandwidth will bottleneck the cpu more than anything else. An i7 920 clocked at 2.66GHz gets more than double the performance of an e8400 core 2 duo clocked at 4.0 GHz when efb to ram is being used. It's like comparing a pistol to a rocket launcher as far as dolphin is concerned.

Quote:For Dolphin there won't be much of a difference between C2D and I7 clocked at 4.0 but modern pc games will benefit a lot from it.

Exact opposite. For dolphin the difference in night and day for any pc game their basically is no difference since any modern pc game can easily render at least 120 fps with a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo and is bottlenecked only by the gpu. As long as your cpu is not massively out of date pc games won't gain any benefit from a better cpu since they will always be limited by the gpu. Think of it like this. If your gpu can draw 40 fps in a particular game at particular settings and a particular resolution and your cpu would be capable of running the game at 120 fps if their was no bottleneck the game will still run at 40 fps. So if you then upgrade to a cpu that could run the game at 180 fps without any bottlenecking the game will still run at 40 fps even though the new cpu is much faster than the old one.
Pages: 1 2 3