Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU upgrade question... i7 or Core2Duo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Helo! I couldn't find topic with my problem, so i decided to write here. I have:
Processor - AMD Athlon 7750 Dual Core processor 2,70 GHz
Memory - 2 gb ram
Graphic card - gforce 9600 gt 512 mb ddr3

When i start emulating Wii games, in menu i see 50fps, but when game starts it's 20-15 fps.
I have 1 questions:
1. What should i change in my pc so games will be in normal speed. Or maybe this is problem with setuping the program? I thought about memory, but i don't know.
please help.
@bugmenot

Most games will require a better cpu than that for playable speeds. Upgrade to a phenom II and use efb to texture instead of efb to ram.
(11-27-2010, 09:13 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]None of this matters. With efb to ram memory bandwidth will bottleneck the cpu more than anything else. An i7 920 clocked at 2.66GHz gets more than double the performance of an e8400 core 2 duo clocked at 4.0 GHz when efb to ram is being used. It's like comparing a pistol to a rocket launcher as far as dolphin is concerned.

is the difference realy that much?
i mean, 50% is really much !

and what about eft to texture?
upgrading only ram will be cheaper for me than buying new processor. Will it be enough? Phenom is more expensive than buyyng 2 gb of new ram. I read that AMD 2.7 ghz is enough at others forum. About graphic card 8600 gt people says that it is very good for dolphin, and i have 9600 gt so it is better. I'm not an expert in this topic.
@bugmenot

Your memory and gpu are both fine. Upgrading them will not make any difference whatsoever. You just need a better cpu. Unless you need the extra ram for something else it would be a waste of money (dolphin uses surprisingly little ram).

@sNk

Yes. These results come from xtreme2damax, who just upgraded his system from an e8400 core 2 duo OCed to 4 GHz to an i7 950. He turned off turbo boost so the i7 950 was running at it's stock clock rate (3.06 GHz). Even though the core 2 duo has a core clock rate that is 1/3 higher the i7 was achieving more than double the performance with efb to ram. Their is a speed improvement with efb to texture but it's much less significant compared to the difference with efb to ram. So the amount of difference depends on your settings. In most games he was still getting a 30% or more speedup with efb to texture even with the lower clock rate.
okay thanks, maybe i'm gonna upgrade to i7 then...
If right now, you're thinking about upgrading your desktop pc, I'd advice to get an i7. Core2duo's are already outdated if we look what's on the market.
When buying a cpu upgrade you should look at the bigger picture, not just dolphin performance. And in that light an i7 is always the better choice.
Unless money is a real big issue, then you could consider taking smaller upgrade steps, and just doing more of them over the same period of time Wink
Yes but for most people an amd phenom II would do just fine and is far cheaper. Video encoders, cgi rendering (maya, 3dstudio max, etc.), high end emulators, or database servers are really the only reasons to spend the extra money to get an i7.

@sNk

I recommend you wait until intels new sandy bridge cpus come out in January before you make that decision.
(11-30-2010, 03:59 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]@sNk

I recommend you wait until intels new sandy bridge cpus come out in January before you make that decision.

yes i should. my e8400 at 4ghz is doing her (a wife) job very well! ;D
Is EFB to RAM performance really *that* important?

I find EFB to RAM a waste of CPU resources and memory bandwidth for the very little benefit it offers over EFB to Texture.

Only one game is affected : Zelda Twilight Princess (and not by much)

The map colors in the minimap of Zelda Twilight Princess are not visible. Big Deal !
You can still see the contours of the arrows and the destination points on the now-transparent minimap when using EFB to Texture. And if you really need a more detailed view of the map, you can always use the large map. This little glitch does not make the game less playable or unbeatable.

Are there any other games that are unbeatable / unplayable without EFB to RAM ?
Pages: 1 2 3