Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does PAL perform better than NTSC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw it asked elsewhere but didn't see an answer.

Not knowing much about emulation, but I was wondering if PAL natively being 50fps performed better with dolphin than ntsc versions?
I don't know anything about it, but if PAL games run 100% at 50 FPS, it'll be probly faster than NTSC.
Just guessing...
Only difference is that pal runs at 25/50 fps for fullspeed and ntsc runs at 30/60. Since the fullspeed framerate is lower it does technically perform better (only slightly) but in exchange fullspeed gameplay won't be quite as smooth since the max framerate is lower.
there are very rare occasions where pal is faster then ntsc.
metal gear twin snakes is one of them.

for some reason both games runs at same fps 40-44 but thats 6 fps missing to pal and 16 missing to ntsc.huge difference.

but as i sad its very rare occasion.

that mostly manifest in games which uses full 50 or 60 fps in game instead 25/30.

punch out,metal gear..etc.
even though PAL fullspeed is lower, its not going to be as smooth as on NTSC.
A PAL frame is rendered with 50 interlaced fields every second on 625 lines by every odd frame (1,3,5,7,9). A NTSC frame renders 59.94 fields on 525 lines per second, and every second frame is drawn (0,2,4,6,8).

There is no visible difference to the eye, if you see video footage at full frames on PAL or NTSC system, in a double blind test they are indistinguishable.

If you set the screen refresh rate at 60 hertz (Pal60), you will get the same fps as in ntsc games. Most video games made these days for native 50hz ask you whether you want to run in 50hz or 60hz.
Alright we've now had 4 people give the exact same answer. We can stop now.
(06-10-2010, 11:54 AM)thaCASHdude Wrote: [ -> ]even though PAL fullspeed is lower, its not going to be as smooth as on NTSC.

Our eyes work at 24 fps, so this shouldn't be noticed...
This can be proved by seeing that when something runs lower than 24fps it seems to be much less smooth than something running at 25 or 26 fps, for example...
Didn't knew that...
(06-11-2010, 06:44 AM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]Our eyes work at 24 fps, so this shouldn't be noticed...

Thats not entirely true. Check that: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_ca...ns_see.htm
Pages: 1 2 3