Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin and Intel's Turbo Boost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Without disabling two cores, is there anyway to make Windows only use two cores while I'm using Dolphin. I ask this here because I'm wondering if it's possible to do something settings for Dolphin under the task manager or something. I want to get a consistent 3.2Ghz turbo clock. Right now, I only get 2.8Ghz Turbo Boost because Windows is using the other cores but not for much of anything. Assuming I'm not running any other applications, is this possible?
Overlocking is what you want...
No it's not. If it was I would've asked for it or just done it myself. I know how to overclock.

All I need to know, if possible, is how to have Windows only use two cores while I am using Dolphin without disabling two cores in the BIOS,
if you know what to do, you should know that you can set affinity in taskmanager to two cores Smile . You can't tell Windows itself on the fly that only 2 cores are available if you got 4,only set manually 2 cores for the task you chose !!!

BTW, even if your min fps are 25 at 2.8GHz your min fps at 3.2GHz will only be 29fps=16%

OC will be the best choice if you really want a speedup
Today I just did two videos in which the two showing the game Need for Speed Carbon.

In the video showing him running this beauty (if it were true!) After they adjusted the speed in the video twice.

Apparently this was the performance of the Dolphin for the Core i7. But I'm realizing that's not much difference compared to my Core 2 Duo so I'd rather buy a wii because I have no money to invest in a new machine.

If you want to see the video is still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCL16VAlnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGRwjbbACA

I'm not belittling those who work in the emulator, on the contrary, I admire their work, thanks to them I can test the game before recording. And many of my favorite games I still play on my computer while I do not have a Wii.

Thank you all.
(05-30-2010, 12:05 PM)Running Postman Wrote: [ -> ]if you know what to do, you should know that you can set affinity in taskmanager to two cores Smile . You can't tell Windows itself on the fly that only 2 cores are available if you got 4,only set manually 2 cores for the task you chose !!!

BTW, even if your min fps are 25 at 2.8GHz your min fps at 3.2GHz will only be 29fps=16%

OC will be the best choice if you really want a speedup

You misunderstand me. I don't want Dolphin to use two cores. It already uses two cores and I doubt setting the affinity would do anything besides possibly denying it the threads from switching cores. What I want to do is tell Windows not to use the other two cores during the time Dolphin is being used so that I can get the maximum turbo boost.

As for the FPS, anywhere I have a slowdown it's usually in the 48-55 FPS range. This turbo boost would likely reach that sweet spot of full speed.
(05-30-2010, 01:16 PM)ALEXSAYS Wrote: [ -> ]Today I just did two videos in which the two showing the game Need for Speed Carbon.

In the video showing him running this beauty (if it were true!) After they adjusted the speed in the video twice.

Apparently this was the performance of the Dolphin for the Core i7. But I'm realizing that's not much difference compared to my Core 2 Duo so I'd rather buy a wii because I have no money to invest in a new machine.

If you want to see the video is still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCL16VAlnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGRwjbbACA

I'm not belittling those who work in the emulator, on the contrary, I admire their work, thanks to them I can test the game before recording. And many of my favorite games I still play on my computer while I do not have a Wii.

Thank you all.

If you don't got a Wii and don't dump your own games you're breaking the rules. Sad
(05-30-2010, 12:05 PM)Running Postman Wrote: [ -> ]OC will be the best choice if you really want a speedup

Sorry if this is considered offtopic, but I'm planning to overclock my i7 in the next days, so do you get full speed all the time? I can play at almost full speed super mario galaxy but i experience some rare slow downs (not overclocked!).
(05-30-2010, 11:31 PM)Wiiskur Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2010, 12:05 PM)Running Postman Wrote: [ -> ]OC will be the best choice if you really want a speedup

Sorry if this is considered offtopic, but I'm planning to overclock my i7 in the next days, so do you get full speed all the time? I can play at almost full speed super mario galaxy but i experience some rare slow downs (not overclocked!).

Your i7 920 at stock will get max available speed with smg even without oc. The fps jumps between 55 and 60 like on the real wii though, so it isn't a constant 100%. It's one of the most demanding games that can be emulated on dolphin. If you switch off audio throttle it could also effect the fps positively.

The starting area (with luma) can even start at 53, because there is so much content on screen, but it goes back to 60 when you enter any level.

I noticed that for stable 100% speed and less bumps to 98-99%, oc'ing the graphics card by about 1/5th higher (memory and core clocks) there was a positive impact. You can use rivatuner or atitool.
Maybe you guys can stop asking and answering questions that are not related to the thread here? Start a conversation somewhere else about your i7's.
Pages: 1 2 3