Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Black Screens in SMG! Is there really a fix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've been having some black screens in Super Mario Galaxy, they happen when I go into first person view, and in some bosses where the camera changes (i think). So far it happened in the Dinasour Plant boss, and the first Bowser fight.

The thing is, I already fought the Dinosaur Plant before and it worked without any problems.

I've been reading this forum alot and I've heard this was a Nvidia exclusive problem.
Well, I have an ATI.

I heard disabling AA worked.
Tried it, still keep getting the black screen.

Finally, OpenGL plugin.
It works, but it's very slow.

Is OpenGL REALLY the only way? I mean, it can't be cause I remember going into first person before and passing that plant boss, I just can't find out what I changed that started causing the problem.

Any ideas?
Anyone?
I made an issue a while ago, not quite sure what the "GameIssue" label means, but seems to have been dispatched as not interisting to look at

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/iss...t%20person
Yes, OpenGL is the only fix and has been ever since the issue started with smg1.

The main problem is that you have a nvidia gpu if a black screen crash comes during all boss battles. This issue doesn't seem to happen much, if at all, on ati cards.
I keep geting framebuffermanager::create FAIL: creat color taxture error with directx and black screen on opengl.
Playing the game in lower resolutions doesn't make the bug appear as far as I've played SMG
When using the DSP-LLE plugin I was able to progress to the second world without a problem, the HLE plugin would just freeze with a black screen after getting the grand star. The only problem is that the LLE plugin is molasses slow, and LLE JIT is currently not worth using in it's current state.
(05-26-2010, 10:32 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, OpenGL is the only fix and has been ever since the issue started with smg1.

The main problem is that you have a nvidia gpu if a black screen crash comes during all boss battles. This issue doesn't seem to happen much, if at all, on ati cards.

I'm on ATI card and it happens alot. In almost all bosses and everytime I got to first person view.

(05-27-2010, 05:22 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Playing the game in lower resolutions doesn't make the bug appear as far as I've played SMG

Hum.. how low? Haven't tried that yet so I'm gonna try it now.
WOW, as soon as I started playing at 640x480 I noticed that the exploding ghosts were black, when they were previously white, and sure enough, the game didn't crash.

So it seems the problem really is related to the resolution. Gonna try increasing it slowly till it starts happening again.
(05-31-2010, 09:54 AM)Metalmurphy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2010, 10:32 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, OpenGL is the only fix and has been ever since the issue started with smg1.

I'm on ATI card and it happens alot. In almost all bosses and everytime I got to first person view.

(05-27-2010, 05:22 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Playing the game in lower resolutions doesn't make the bug appear as far as I've played SMG

Hum.. how low? Haven't tried that yet so I'm gonna try it now.
WOW, as soon as I started playing at 640x480 I noticed that the exploding ghosts were black, when they were previously white, and sure enough, the game didn't crash.

So it seems the problem really is related to the resolution. Gonna try increasing it slowly till it starts happening again.

so up to which resolution u come to be max and not to couse crash?
I got the errors when I played at 1280x1024, now I'm playing it at 1024x768 and it runs flawlessly.

Playing it at 1152x864 causes some graphical problems, like white bomb ghosts instead of black, but the game doesn't crash.
Pages: 1 2