Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Support for nvidia optimus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

I just bought my wonderfull new notebook, it is a ASUS N82 JV028X.

It's quite powerfull:
Core i5
GT335 M

The thing is it includes the brand new tech from nvidia that handles with a software whether a program should run on integrated chipset or with graphic card.

It works great overall but for programs unofficials such as dolphin it is up to the user to tell the computer to run it with the graphic card, which i DID!

Yet in dolphin options i can't choose my GT335 M it only let me choose "INTEL GMA HD".

And i end up with quite poor performance like 25fps never more...

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? or if an update will ever come up to fix this!

Please answer a sad dolphin user Sad.
That's a unique problem. I heard of these gaming laptops that have both an integrated chip for 2d desktop usage and a good 3d card for gaming.

Only thing I can think of is to either decieve your computer to think you're in 3d mode through nvidia control panel, or disable the intel gma chip while you're playing dolphin.

Dolphin just lists the card which is active at the moment,
(05-24-2010, 01:13 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]That's a unique problem. I heard of these gaming laptops that have both an integrated chip for 2d desktop usage and a good 3d card for gaming.

Only thing I can think of is to either decieve your computer to think you're in 3d mode through nvidia control panel, or disable the intel gma chip while you're playing dolphin.

Dolphin just lists the card which is active at the moment,

thx for the answer first.

Now about decieving my computer as i said in my original post it's i already done as much as possible to do so.

With optimus you can whether go in optimus software, point an .EXE and tell nvidia to run it with graphic card only, OR you can right click on the exe and you get to choose between (run with chipset or run with high performance nvidia processor).

Whether i do one of these or even both, dolphin never let me choose my nvidia graphic card.

How about an update of dolphin for this? because optimus seems to be here to stay (it'll probable get implemented in more laptops in the near fututre) and so cases like mine will be frequents.

Hope you understood my english (i'm french ^^)

EDIT: by the way maybe i'm worrying too much, i mean i run games like wario world or zelda the wind waker at a constant 25 fps, maybe i'm too demanding and that's the best my pc can do? i'm still quite new with this dolphin thing but a friend of mine with a slower notebook told me games ran "smoothly" so are 25 fps smooth? can i hope to achieve more with my machine if i get this optimus thing solved?
UP please anyone?
I noticed a similar thread on another forum I read yesterday.. Here is a topic with other people that battle with similar problem with nvidia optimus: It selects intel gma automatically instead of the 3d card.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4451045

You can try any of those solutions, but there is a high likelihood the drivers are just crappy at this point and nvidia will have to come up with better ones soon. Optimus is a very recent laptop graphics management driver for dual card setups (where 1 is weaker to conserve power, 1 is for gaming/visual processing)

Quote:EDIT: by the way maybe i'm worrying too much, i mean i run games like wario world or zelda the wind waker at a constant 25 fps, maybe i'm too demanding and that's the best my pc can do?

No, your processor is in the higher range of laptop processors and your gfx card is equivalent to desktop gtx200 series cards or a radeon 4600+.. It can run all games at full speed just fine. You just have to find a way to temporarily disable intel GMA chip through bios, nvidia cp or optimus settings.

Mind you dolphin lists your gpu when it's active. Once you are able to run desktop in 3d mode and have disabled intel gma, dolphin will recognise it instantly.
thx ocean for the answer once again!

I updated all my drivers and i discovered how to run my computer always on nvidia graphics (by choosing it in nvidia control panel.

Yet dolphin still won't let me choose it in the options: ODD.

So as i see it it will take an update to solve this...(crying).

THe new question is, could an update from the dolphin developper solve this on it's own if they look into that or will it also take an update from nvidia first?

And if an update from dolphin guys would be enough where can i go to mail them to tell them my issue?
(05-24-2010, 07:14 PM)dark shetane Wrote: [ -> ]thx ocean for the answer once again!

I updated all my drivers and i discovered how to run my computer always on nvidia graphics (by choosing it in nvidia control panel.

Yet dolphin still won't let me choose it in the options: ODD.

So as i see it it will take an update to solve this...(crying).

THe new question is, could an update from the dolphin developper solve this on it's own if they look into that or will it also take an update from nvidia first?

And if an update from dolphin guys would be enough where can i go to mail them to tell them my issue?

Anyone?

OCEAN ^^?
Tried disabling the Intel gpu in device manager leaving only the Nvidia gpu? Also, make sure you update your Nvidia drivers.
already done, drivers up to date and impossible to completely disable the gma, if i uninstall drivers or something like that i end up with a black screen...
(05-25-2010, 03:46 PM)dark shetane Wrote: [ -> ]already done, drivers up to date and impossible to completely disable the gma, if i uninstall drivers or something like that i end up with a black screen...

Hi just in case some people were in the same situation i was.

Nvidia recently released new drivers for optimus and it all works now!
Pages: 1 2