Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this run it at 60fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

archlvt

I tried dolphin a few months back, and it ran, but it often stuttered and froze up making the games unplayable. Tales of Symphonia for example was just fine when you were walking around, but the battles were extremely choppy. Baten Kaitos worked fine in Larikush's house at the start, but when you walked out into the village the frame rate dropped dramatically.

Back then, I had:

Intel core 2 duo E6550 2.33ghz
2GB ram
Win7 RC beta
nVidia 8600gt 256mb

Since then I've upgraded my video card to a Powercolor Radeon hd5770 1gb, and I'm back on vista 32-bit. Will the game run better now, or was my CPU in fact the choke point?
cpu. Until you upgrade your cpu don't expect to be able to play most games fullspeed.
80-90% because your radeon 5770 is strongly bottlenecked by cpu
probably its the cpu
How well do you think this system will run.

Athlon II X4 630 2.8
1.5 GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT 512
Win 7/Ubuntu x64
Quote:Athlon II X4 630 2.8
1.5 GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT 512
Win 7/Ubuntu x64

Ok. Not good not bad. Getting a bit more ram would be a good idea and upgrading your cpu to a phenom II would nearly double your framerate. Your cutting it really close with the ram depending on where your using a 64 bit or 32 bit build.

Daemos

hey guys I am also wondering if I can run things at 60fps

I currently have an Asus G73 which has all the bloat ware and useless crud removed.

Specs are:
Core i7-720qm @ 1.6ghz to 2.8ghz with 2 cores but with twin turbo mode it gets close to 3ghz (2.95 ghz)
8GB ram DDR3
Radeon 5870m 1GB GDDR5
built in bluetooth
wiimote + wmp + nunchuck and wireless sensor bar.
Quote:hey guys I am also wondering if I can run things at 60fps

I currently have an Asus G73 which has all the bloat ware and useless crud removed.

See what clock rate it's running at while dolphin is running. Just because it can reach 2.8GHz with turbo does not mean it will, turbo may require only 1 core to be active in order for the tdp to be low enough to clock that high.

Keep in mind that for most gamecube and wii games 30 fps is fullspeed, not 60, therefore running the game at 60fps will cause the game to run at double the normal speed. So you should change your question from "can I run things at 60 fps" to "can I run most games at fullspeed". I have never benchmarked that particular cpu Daemos but based on the cpu specs it should be able to ran the vast majority of games at fullspeed, certain games like twilight princess still won't run fullspeed all the time though since they are very cpu heavy.

Daemos

(04-22-2010, 10:27 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:hey guys I am also wondering if I can run things at 60fps

See what clock rate it's running at while dolphin is running. Just because it can reach 2.8GHz with turbo does not mean it will, turbo may require only 1 core to be active in order for the tdp to be low enough to clock that high.

Keep in mind that for most gamecube and wii games 30 fps is fullspeed, not 60, therefore running the game at 60fps will cause the game to run at double the normal speed. So you should change your question from "can I run things at 60 fps" to "can I run most games at fullspeed". I have never benchmarked that particular cpu Daemos but based on the cpu specs it should be able to ran the vast majority of games at fullspeed, certain games like twilight princess still won't run fullspeed all the time though since they are very cpu heavy.

It fluctuates but as long as I don't have too many other background programs open it fluctuates between 2.4ghz-2.53ghz (watching using CPU-Z) if I lock down the dolphin.exe affinity to cores 0 and 2. So it doesn't use hyperthreading.

What's VPS?

I guess if my cpu isn't powerful enough I'm gonna have to wait until dolphin is optimized more. I'm guessing it's the conversion code of whatever base instruction set from the wii to x64/x86 the compiler needs to be optimized more.

I know I could of built a way more powerful desktop for less, but having a desktop is inconvient for college life, esp when I need to move out of where I'm living every year or so when I go home for holidays.
your cpu is fine. Zelda TP will run about 75-100% so it shouldn't be bad, well, except hyrule :/
Pages: 1 2