Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Surpassing the GCN's framerate...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

slartibartfast42

I was just wondering if it should be possible to run things on the Dolphin emulator that you couldn't on the original gamecube system due to slowdown. I'm talking about like how in Melee the game would slow down if you put 4 players into a match on Fountain of Dreams because the game renders both the characters and the reflections, or when the game freezes due to the black hole glitch (where you infinitely stack peach's turnips on top of each other).

I'm running dolphin smoothly on a decent rig, but I still get slowdown doing stuff like this. Should it be possible to run it smoothly with better processing or is the slowdown at certain points built into the emulator?
if it was caused because the gcn couldn't render it fast enough then with dolphin and a really good cpu you MIGHT be able to get it to run smoothly at those points
Fountain of Dreams is really slow on Dolphin... But with good enough specs, of course

(That was probably framedumped though)
Well considering Dolphin emulates the actual hardware, you would probably see the same slowdown if not worse. I would say the slowdowns would differ from the actual hardware since the Dolphin code is not fully optimized yet, still plenty of room left for optimization and performance improvements according to ector.

The Dolphin team could probably add an option to overclock the Wii CPU/GPU as hardware becomes more powerful, but current PC hardware is barely just powerful enough to run most games at acceptable speeds. The Gamecube/Wii are fairly demanding pieces of hardware, the speeds on Dolphin that we currently see wouldn't be possible without hacks. If truly accurate emulation was sought, emulation on current hardware would be as slow as running Dolphin in Interpreter mode if not slower.

Overclocking the Wii CPU/GPU wouldn't be feasible and make Dolphin even more prone to instabilities, synchronization/threading issues, and crashes despite any performance improvements it may have.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, just wanted to explain why you would still experience the same slowdowns with emulation.