Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What if Nintendo where to use Dolphin code for Wii2's backwards compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since Nintendo has confirmed that their next console will be HD but it won't just be a Wii with HD this could then mean that the current Wii's 100% backwards compatibility because of it's hardware would be gone in the new console. If they are radically different from each other which would mean that it's backwards compatibility would rely on emulation of the Wii.

So then what if Nintendo decided to use some Dolphin code since it is open source and simply tweaked it till it worked perfectly since they know what their consoles could do and how they did, wouldn't that be an achievement for Dolphin to be officially recognized sort of anyway by them.
They might - that is if they see our efforts at Dolphin as legit and doesn't actively promote piracy. Nintendo had a vendetta with emus before, ever since NESticle and other such apps became mainstream, and ROM sharing was commonplace.

On the other hand, if they decide to rely on emulation for backwards compatibility, which they did on the Virtual Console service, who knows? They might take a look at us and implement our handiwork on the Wii 2.
Most of dolphin codes works for x86 machines, so it be kind of pointless, and they know how their own system works. Im sure Wii 2 will use some PowerPC Processor and a similar GPU.
not going to happen.

since nintendo has stepped away from ati (sadly Sad ) and has moved to nvidia im guessing hardware will be completely different. therefor i guess backwards compatibility will be something for the homebrew scene (why you would want wii on the successor is beyond me tho)
What i meant is that the new console would have to be backwards compatible with the wii which would mean that it would also have some gamecube compatibility and since Nintendo are saying that it would be something completely different from the current Wii then their likely option would be emulation of the Wii, not that the next console would be a jacked up Wii excluding the snes that's not Nintendo's style.
(02-26-2010, 01:38 AM)Daco Wrote: [ -> ]not going to happen.

since nintendo has stepped away from ati (sadly Sad ) and has moved to nvidia im guessing hardware will be completely different. therefor i guess backwards compatibility will be something for the homebrew scene (why you would want wii on the successor is beyond me tho)

Depends if they make a GPU emulator inside, like how the Xbox 360 runs Xbox games.
I've noticed there is a recent trend of moving away from backwards compatibility. XBox 360 doesn't support all XBox games, PS3 removed completely the backwards compatibility of PS2/PS games, and the DS lost its GBA slot. If this recent news about the new Nintendo console is to be believed, I very much doubt the backwards compatibility will be retained, sorry to say. Apparently simple convenience doesn't sell well, despite its popularity among users.
Ugoo, Nintendo does not need to use any other organization's code to use with their consoles. Nintendo is the company who makes their hardware and their code and they would not need any help from anyone in the production of their own stuff. Get it? Do you honestly think that the Dolphin dev team is better at making Nintendo code/hardware than Nintendo? That would be like Ford motor company asking your local joe who works at a gas station garage to help them build a new car. It's just ridiculous.
Yeah i know they could easily do it after all they made the console they know what it can and cannot do and how to do it but it would be even easier to just use what's already there than start from the beginning.
They don't have to start from the beginning, they already have it all figured out, that's why they made the console.
Pages: 1 2