Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The Ultimate Way to Optimize Your Windows OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Ultimate Way to Optimize Your Windows OS

[color=#FF0000]ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS WHEN USING THIS GUIDE OR DON'T USE IT![/color]

(02-06-2010, 03:20 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Optimizing means even small, positive gains, which are not necessary, but can prove to be useful.

Browser

I recommend Firefox because it is the fastest browser out there....if you can tweak it right. So I provided a way to do just that.

Download Firefox Here

Firefox Tweaking Guide

Windows 7
Can Be Used For XP and Vista

Speeding Up Windows 7 - MSCONFIG

Speeding Up Windows 7 - Programs

Speeding Up Windows 7 Services

Speeding Up Windows 7 - Uncategorized

[color=#FF0000]Warning! Use of the below can be dangerous![/color]

Speeding Up Windows 7 - Registry Edits

Extra! Extra!

[color=#FF0000]Warning! Use the below at your own risk! [/color]

Batch Files For Extra FPS in Dolphin
Attachments would have been useful.
I guess everything is the same for Vista, isn't it? It is.
It would be good to add a list of useful, free programs, like CPU-Z. Can do that here if you don't want to pollute your own post.
[color=#EFEFEF]Just reserving the 2nd post for me as well, plan to make use of this space later[/color]
A bunch of megaupload links to .txt files, that you could have easily just put in quotes?

....Why??
Use ccleaner daily...
Scan spyware/virus weekly..
Defragment all hard-drives 1 to 2 times per week..
Clean dust from all computer components and fans 1 time per month..
Apply new thermal paste regularly (at least every 6 months)
Update gpu drivers whenever newer version is out..

I only got full fps in all games (also PC and PS2/xbox emulator), all games on highest settings... It's very simple. And all temperatures around 30-35c idle and 45-50 under load.
(02-05-2010, 08:03 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Use ccleaner daily...
Scan spyware/virus weekly..
Defragment all hard-drives 1 to 2 times per week..
Clean dust from all computer components and fans 1 time per month..
Apply new thermal paste regularly (at least every 6 months)
Update gpu drivers whenever newer version is out..

I only got full fps in all games (also PC and PS2/xbox emulator), all games on highest settings... It's very simple. And all temperatures around 30-35c idle and 45-50 under load.
ccleaner daily is pointless. even i produce no more then <100MB / week
spyware/virus scans are user related. not going to argue there since most users are filled with spyware and other crap

defragment depends on the drive setup. i do it 1once a month and windows boots very fast thank you

dust is also relative. i need to do it once a 3/4months
the re-appling of thermal paste i do not recommend. cause thermal paste gets better over time , reaches its high peek and then slowly gets worse

and updating of drivers....what? you must have some real shit drivers if they cause a global slowdown of the system to a noticable level
It is disappointing to see a moderator claims so many false information pieces.. (I post this reply just for info of other forum readers seeking for accurate info)

1. Modern thermal pastes reach it's peak performance two hours after applying [1] (source) [2]

2. Updating of drivers: Using latest nvidia forceware, all games are already playable on highest possible configs with no frame delay. When new forceware (or for ATI, catalyst control center) is released, the performance can be boosted even higher by 3 to 5 FPS if there is a significant structure change in the dll drivers. I don't think the current CCC or FW can be 'shit' at any time like you vulgarly point it out to be, whereas, a new release can always inherently make your graphics card more efficient.

For example, check the forceware difference of such short-time changes as 190.38 and 190.62: http://beforedark.co.uk/cms/reviews/14-d...19062-whql

3. Boot time is always affected by even slight fragmentation of files, and is significantly improved by disk defragment http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b90047/ebook...ect-3.html

I believe the title was suggesting ways to 'optimize' the operating system (though these also apply to any linux or anything else you might be running). Optimizing means even small, positive gains, which are not necessary, but can prove to be useful.
(02-06-2010, 03:20 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]It is disappointing to see a moderator claims so many false information pieces.. (I post this reply just for info of other forum readers seeking for accurate info)

1. Modern thermal pastes reach it's peak performance two hours after applying [1] (source) [2]

2. Updating of drivers: Using latest nvidia forceware, all games are already playable on highest possible configs with no frame delay. When new forceware (or for ATI, catalyst control center) is released, the performance can be boosted even higher by 3 to 5 FPS if there is a significant structure change in the dll drivers. I don't think the current CCC or FW can be 'shit' at any time like you vulgarly point it out to be, whereas, a new release can always inherently make your graphics card more efficient.

For example, check the forceware difference of such short-time changes as 190.38 and 190.62: http://beforedark.co.uk/cms/reviews/14-d...19062-whql

3. Boot time is always affected by even slight fragmentation of files, and is significantly improved by disk defragment http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b90047/ebook...ect-3.html

I believe the title was suggesting ways to 'optimize' the operating system (though these also apply to any linux or anything else you might be running). Optimizing means even small, positive gains, which are not necessary, but can prove to be useful.

That's why when you make a clean install, the new OS automatically places its files at the beggining of the partition.
Having a 500gb SATA2 with 64mb cache makes defragmenting files pointless.
My xp64 is installed in the middle of a partitioned and fragmented 80gb IDE drive, yet it takes less than a minute to boot.
So when it comes to boot times, the only thing you can do to optimise it, is to reduce startup processes or use a faster hard drive.

Updating graphic drivers every month is only useful for newer cards, and newer games. If you don't fit into that category, don't bother putting your computer to the fire test, did you know that some Radeon 5xxx have stopped working recently on W7 due to an apparent driver problem?

About the thermal paste, you're right, but it can become a pain to change if the cpu gets glued to the heatsink Confused
You really do have to replace the thermal paste at some point...
When I replaced my CPU, there wasn't any left, it had turned to dust. Frankly my processor was getting pretty hot (65C).
Why not just replace the damn thing when it's not working anymore ? xD
(02-06-2010, 03:56 AM)James333 Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just replace the damn thing when it's not working anymore ? xD

Lol, I do that with an old Celeron 330.
Everytime I get 2 random BSODs in a day (happens between 6-12 months), I open the case and remove the thick layer of dust blocking the whole heatsink.
Been doing that for almost 5 years and the little bastard hasn't burnt yet.
Ontopic: TheBboyKnowledge, can you reupload those files as attachments?
It's not fun to wait 45 secs on Megashit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6