Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on PS3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

faithful

Hello everyone i'm new here.
I own a PS3, the old model not the new one, so i can run linux on it.
My question is: there is any chance for my PS3 to run Dolphin above linux?
After googling around i found 2 problems:
1) Dolphin need SSE2 instruction set, that the cell processor doesn't have (but altivec instructions that does similar things)
2) Dolphin needs NVIDIA CG Toolkit to build, that is a binary-only software without support for the cell processor.
There are any other problems that i didn't see?
Can I avoid this problems in any way?

Thank you in advance.
Maybe the architecture of processor . Dolphin only run in x86, It doesn't run in PPC architecture
Not enough RAM, Dolphin does not have a core prepared to run on a Cell CPU, no GPU access...
Discussed many times.
It would be easier ( well , really no ) to make the games run natively
(01-22-2010, 05:11 AM)James333 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be easier ( well , really no ) to make the games run natively

(01-22-2010, 05:08 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin does not have a core prepared to run on a Cell CPU
(01-22-2010, 05:14 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2010, 05:11 AM)James333 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be easier ( well , really no ) to make the games run natively

(01-22-2010, 05:08 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin does not have a core prepared to run on a Cell CPU
Sorry , I wasn't talking about dolphin in that post Tongue
(01-22-2010, 05:21 AM)James333 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2010, 05:14 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry , I wasn't talking about dolphin in that post Tongue

Yet the PS3 lacks hardware needed by those games. (DSP, Controller ports, other devices), as well as some cpu instructions needed.
So, those would have to be emulated somehow.

faithful

(01-22-2010, 05:08 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Not enough RAM, Dolphin does not have a core prepared to run on a Cell CPU, no GPU access...
Discussed many times.
No GPU access but 6 SPU to use:
http://www.mesa3d.org/cell.html
Dolpin has C and C++ sources why is so x86 dependent?
(01-22-2010, 05:39 AM)faithful Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2010, 05:08 AM)CacoFFF Wrote: [ -> ]Not enough RAM, Dolphin does not have a core prepared to run on a Cell CPU, no GPU access...
Discussed many times.
No GPU access but 6 SPU to use:
http://www.mesa3d.org/cell.html
Dolpin has C and C++ sources why is so x86 dependent?

The emulation core would have to be rewritten from scratch, because the current ones (JIT, JITIL, Int) only translate to x86.
That SPU core still is nowhere near powerful enough to efficiently handle Gamecube/Wii emulation, Sony has access to all hardware in the PS3 for the PS2 emulator they use for backwards compatibility.

Also Dolphin is only compatible with the x86 and x86-64 architectures, creating a core that can run on the PS3's cell processor would be far too time consuming, porting Dolphin over to be compatible with PS3 hardware would be like coding the emulator from scratch.

Get a better PC, because there will likely never be a Dolphin build for anything other than platforms that use and are compatible with the x86 and x86-64 architectures such as Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Pages: 1 2