Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin stops accepting inputs while running The Last Story, then crashes.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(03-30-2024, 05:49 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I would extract Dolphin to a new folder and create a file in the root of the folder called "portable.txt", this will prevent the old version of Dolphin from changing any of your current settings.

As for what version to test it's hard to say, I'd say 5.0, but that's quite old. You could try going back about 1000 versions maybe (so about 5.0-20000) and if you are still having the issue go back another 1000 till you find one that works (if there is one).

I tested it on Dolphin 5.0-20001. Started a new game in The Last Story and played for about an hour and a half with controller settings similar to what I used before. Didn't encounter the issue.
(03-30-2024, 05:49 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I would extract Dolphin to a new folder and create a file in the root of the folder called "portable.txt", this will prevent the old version of Dolphin from changing any of your current settings.

As for what version to test it's hard to say, I'd say 5.0, but that's quite old. You could try going back about 1000 versions maybe (so about 5.0-20000) and if you are still having the issue go back another 1000 till you find one that works (if there is one).

Any recommendations for next steps?
Try another version in between (like 5.0-20500), keep doing this till you find the last working version/the broken version.
(04-03-2024, 06:57 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Try another version in between (like 5.0-20500), keep doing this till you find the last working version/the broken version.

I can do that, but it sounds a bit tedious. Are we trying to figure out which version "broke" the game? What is the purpose of testing out the different versions?
(04-04-2024, 04:32 AM)RejectedPast Wrote: [ -> ]I can do that, but it sounds a bit tedious. Are we trying to figure out which version "broke" the game? What is the purpose of testing out the different versions?

Yes, if you found what version broke it, it will be much easier for someone to fix.
(03-27-2024, 03:43 AM)Wreck3d Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having the same issue but playing on Android, Pixel 6a. Didn't have any crashes or issues playing upto the Tavern/town or whatever. I was using a Switch Pro controller via OTG and Xbox via Bluetooth too, but I've just been using the touch controls and having the dead controls issue. Thought at first was just crash but fps still rolls along and audio etc and after reading OP post I think I'm dealing with the same issue. I'll give controllers ago and see if still happening

Can I ask which version you were having the issue on and how far into the game you first starting experiencing the issue?
(04-04-2024, 06:10 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, if you found what version broke it, it will be much easier for someone to fix.

Do you think time/progress might be a factor? I ask because I got several hours into my initial playthrough without experiencing the issue. I didn't have any problems when I tested both 5.0-2001 and 5.0-20502, but I only played about 1-1 1/2 hours in both cases. If the issue only occurs after several hours of gameplay, that will make testing that much more arduous. On the other hand, if a more recent update is responsible, that'll be a lot easier to test.
(04-13-2024, 05:35 AM)RejectedPast Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think time/progress might be a factor? I ask because I got several hours into my initial playthrough without experiencing the issue. I didn't have any problems when I tested both 5.0-2001 and 5.0-20502, but I only played about 1-1 1/2 hours in both cases. If the issue only occurs after several hours of gameplay, that will make testing that much more arduous. On the other hand, if a more recent update is responsible, that'll be a lot easier to test.

It's very possible, I can't really say much on the matter. Unless you know of a way to consistently trigger the issue, it's going to be hard to pinpoint. If simply restarting Dolphin fixes it, you may want to deal with it (up to you). Have you had this issue with any other games?
(04-13-2024, 07:21 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's very possible, I can't really say much on the matter. Unless you know of a way to consistently trigger the issue, it's going to be hard to pinpoint. If simply restarting Dolphin fixes it, you may want to deal with it (up to you). Have you had this issue with any other games?

Good(ish) news! Out of curiosity, I tested out the latest version (5.0-21356) and experienced the issue within about a half hour of playing a new save. That indicates that the issue isn't tied to how far you progress in the game. Since I managed to get several hours into the game without experiencing the issue, my current theory is that I updated Dolphin and it broke something. I'm going to try out the versions just before I started experiencing the issue to try to determine if this is the case.
(04-13-2024, 07:21 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's very possible, I can't really say much on the matter. Unless you know of a way to consistently trigger the issue, it's going to be hard to pinpoint. If simply restarting Dolphin fixes it, you may want to deal with it (up to you). Have you had this issue with any other games?

As far as I can tell, 5.0-21206 is the last iteration not to have the issue. Do I submit a bug report?
Pages: 1 2 3