Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Exclusive Ubershades recommended for RTX 3060
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello so recently I used Hybrid Ubershades which is meant for stutter-free experience but I still encountered lag for a second, dolphin told me to not use exclusive ubershades if I encounter stuttering on hybrid ubershades and having a very powerful gpu, so Im wondering If RTX 3060 is recommended for this!
As explained in the tooltip, it's a last resort, so I would advise trying other combinations (like Vulkan + Hybrid Ubershaders, or Direct3D 12 + Hybrid Ubershaders) before switching to exclusive ubershaders...
(09-16-2023, 01:47 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]As explained in the tooltip, it's a last resort, so I would advise trying other combinations (like Vulkan + Hybrid Ubershaders, or Direct3D 12 + Hybrid Ubershaders) before switching to exclusive ubershaders...

Im using D3D11 right now intel 5 10th generation 8 gb ram, also dolphin windows support discord recommended D3D11 instead of D3D12
(09-17-2023, 12:43 AM)therealkiddude Wrote: [ -> ]Im using D3D11 right now intel 5 10th generation 8 gb ram, also dolphin windows support discord recommended D3D11 instead of D3D1
I guess ill use D3D12, you sure my specs can handle compiling 978 shaders
(09-17-2023, 02:44 AM)therealkiddude Wrote: [ -> ]I guess ill use D3D12, you sure my specs can handle compiling 978 shaders

also should i go overkill with 8x ssaa
My personal preference is Vulkan over any of the D3D backends, but for me that's mainly in the realm of AMD, Intel, and/or Linux, so...

Anyway, I was able to use exclusive ubershaders in F-Zero GX on the integrated graphics of a Ryzen 4800U (albeit at like only 1x or 2x internal resolution) so a 3060 should have no issue.

The real question is whether SSAA as well as presumably a high internal resolution will work. Honestly I have no idea, so you really should just try it yourself since you can actually modify graphics settings in real-time while the emulator is running, so just watch your FPS as you change the settings and see if your hardware can handle it or not.

That being said, I'm not even sure you'll be able to notice much of a difference between 4xSSAA and 8xSSA unless you're using a very low resolution (it's technically there even at high resolutions, but SSAA being the highest quality form of anti-aliasing means that you shouldn't need quite as much). The higher your internal resolution is, the less of a difference there is between 4xSSAA and 8xSSAA.
(09-17-2023, 12:43 AM)therealkiddude Wrote: [ -> ]Im using D3D11 right now intel 5 10th generation 8 gb ram, also dolphin windows support discord recommended D3D11 instead of D3D12
Um, I don't see how is this relevant? You said you have a RTX 3060, which is a fairly modern GPU and consequently will benefit the most from recent APIs like Vulkan or D3D12. Try switching to one of those two backends + Hybrid Ubershaders and your stuttering issues should go away.

(09-17-2023, 07:21 AM)therealkiddude Wrote: [ -> ]also should i go overkill with 8x ssaa
Be careful with SSAA, it can bring even the beefiest GPUs to its knees if used improperly. For example, if you're already using 3x IR and enable 8x SSAA on top of that, you're essentially asking your GPU to render in 15360x12672 (same as setting the IR to 24x with no AA)...
(09-18-2023, 11:24 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]My personal preference is Vulkan over any of the D3D backends, but for me that's mainly in the realm of AMD, Intel, and/or Linux, so...

Anyway, I was able to use exclusive ubershaders in F-Zero GX on the integrated graphics of a Ryzen 4800U (albeit at like only 1x or 2x internal resolution) so a 3060 should have no issue.

The real question is whether SSAA as well as presumably a high internal resolution will work. Honestly I have no idea, so you really should just try it yourself since you can actually modify graphics settings in real-time while the emulator is running, so just watch your FPS as you change the settings and see if your hardware can handle it or not.

That being said, I'm not even sure you'll be able to notice much of a difference between 4xSSAA and 8xSSA unless you're using a very low resolution (it's technically there even at high resolutions, but SSAA being the highest quality form of anti-aliasing means that you shouldn't need quite as much).  The higher your internal resolution is, the less of a difference there is between 4xSSAA and 8xSSAA.
also how do I fix this weird color lines on the 3d
That's color-banding which you may or may not be seeing because GeForce GPUs specifically don't support dithering on Windows by default; the easiest way to enable dithering in your case is probably to use the program "CalibrationTools":
That being said, having "force 24-bit color" enabled should have already taken care of any color-banding, unless the issue here is that you're even seeing the limits of 24-bit color in which case I recommend to enable dithering via the aforementioned "CalibrationTools".

Alternatively, perhaps the issue is that Dolphin will still only use 6-bit precision for the alpha channel? (and I do not know if it's possible any longer to force 8-bit precision for the alpha channel since it always defaults to 6-bit for compatibility reasons)
(09-21-2023, 09:15 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]That's color-banding which you may or may not be seeing because GeForce GPUs specifically don't support dithering on Windows by default; the easiest way to enable dithering in your case is probably to use the program "CalibrationTools":
That being said, having "force 24-bit color" enabled should have already taken care of any color-banding, unless the issue here is that you're even seeing the limits of 24-bit color in which case I recommend to enable dithering via the aforementioned "CalibrationTools".

Alternatively, perhaps the issue is that Dolphin will still only use 6-bit precision for the alpha channel? (and I do not know if it's possible any longer to force 8-bit precision for the alpha channel since it always defaults to 6-bit for compatibility reasons)

You sure this will fix this, my full gpu name is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, also exclusive ubershaders caused lag
Pages: 1 2