Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Are there games rendered below 640x480?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I didn't know whether to post here, in off-topic or in "development".

Take the PlayStation 3: Even though games can be outputted at 1280x720 (or 1920x1080), some games like Metal Gear Solid 4 are rendered at non-traditional resolutions like 1024x768 before.being processed...

Now.. Are every games on the GameCube and Wii rendered at native 480p or are some of them rendered below that?

I found lists for the Xbox, the PlayStation 3, WiiU and PSP Vita, but nothing about the Wii and the GameCube.

Thanks!
Probably stuff like Mega Man X Collection and Mega Man Anniversary Collection do. I'm guessing they render games via software, then scale them as necessary to match the GC's target output. I wouldn't know the specifics though.
It's complicated. The signal to the screen never changes, because it's analog and it's literally driving the television so it can't, but what is rendered by the GC/Wii can change significantly and how VI adjusts the image within that signal can change too.

For example, Wii VC titles render in 240pish (let's ignore that 224p business for simplicity), however they output in Double Strike mode (240p on a 480i signal) like the original hardware did. If you look at the output, it's still a 480i signal, it just looks like this and VI makes the television squish it and tada, a progressive 60fps image on an interlaced signal.

Also almost no games are -exactly- 640x480, usually games go a little over and expect cropping from the television to handle it.
Thanks to both of you for replying! I did assume that the signal to the screen never change (240p, 480i, or 480p).