Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Settings to use for a Radeon Gpu (6900xt)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

syndicator

I don't think my cpu is the problem.. (5950x) but for the life of me i can not get this emulator to work with out it stuttering. Games will work at 60 fps then pauses for a sec. I have tried a lot of combination of settings. Vulkan direct3d 11 direct3d 12. I have the isos on a NVME drive..
Your CPU and GPU are certainly fine! Is it stuttering that appears when in a new area or a new object appears, then goes away if nothing new appears for a bit? If so, you are likely encountering shader compilation stuttering. Fortunately, we have Ubershaders! Try Async Ubershaders, and if you still get some stuttering, try Exclusive Ubershaders.

syndicator

what Backend should i use.. I know openGL runs like crap on amd gpus.. but should i go with vulkan or direct3d 11-12
Any of those are fine. The main differences will be between what games do and what APIs handle the specific things more efficiently.
I'm running Dolphin on a Radeon 5700XT GPU on a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, which is quite a step back from your setup, but it's more than capable of handling serious gaming...the 5950x shouldn't break a sweat for gaming, that's more of a professional content creator's workstation CPU, with some serious rendering power behind it. So, I highly doubt your CPU or GPU have anything to do with stuttering...I would double-check your graphics config, especially enhancements, if you're using SSAA, 2x is way more than enough.

From personal experience, Vulkan is the best back-end overall for my particular AMD GPU, but there may be some titles that work better with D3D11 or 12. I've found that D3D12 has more numerous graphical glitches compared to Vulkan or D3D11.

To smooth out your game play, definitely consider using hybrid or exclusive ubershaders...you may see some stuttering when the game first loads, but the bulk majority of your gameplay will be quite smooth. For graphics enhancements, if your internal resolution is set to 6x Native or higher (4k and up), I'd recommend 4x MSAA or 2x SSAA (or lower), anything higher than that can result in some stuttering even on high-end GPU's. Your 6900XT should be able to easily handle 4k and up resolutions without any drops in frame rate.
Your also better off using the compile before game starts. It compile the ubershader shaders to avoid stuttering better(in my experience at least). It does make the booting the game the first time or sometime after a update take longer though.