Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pokemon Battle Revolution - Texture Dumping each written word as a single texture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
in Pokemon Battle Revolution, each written word is dumped as a individual texture frame. is a big resolution .png with most a transparency layer and a bunch of letters forming each word. 
now you might say to me "its ok its understandable to have a texture dump for each word if the game uses a weird language generator" (the "announcer" of the game must write if X pokemon does X damage/effect on Z enemy target pokemon/s so its kinda complex)

the issue, is that its dropping about 30 k of textures, because EACH word typed on EACH match, the game considers it as an INDIVIDUAL and unique texture frame. at this rate on text textures alone will be going over 100 gbs... each frame is over 2 mbs multiplied by almost 30 k = 60 gbs.

there should be a way to disable this dumping on this particular game, since even game purists will not overrun their hard disk in gigabytes and gigabytes of garbage data. not to mention the game seems unable to reload those text textures unless is the same text on the same stage. for example:
in the poketropia street colosseum, in a battle between A trainer and B trainer, pikachu VS zapdos. if pikachu uses thunder and hits zapdos. the text would be reused. IF zapdos uses thunder on pikachu A NEW set of text textures will be generated with the same WORDS. i have even detected on some cases, single letters to be outputed as unique text as well.

i am afraid of deleting text textures since some do work properly while others dont.
Texture dumping is only useful if you plan on making texture packs. Many games use "shaders" to modify text textures directly in real time, and there's simply no way for Dolphin to only use the source text textures as a way to overwrite all of them. Dolphin is basically seeing new textures for each frame of each text due to the way this game works
(06-04-2021, 04:19 AM)KatIsntGood Wrote: [ -> ]Texture dumping is only useful if you plan on making texture packs. Many games use "shaders" to modify text textures directly in real time, and there's simply no way for Dolphin to only use the source text textures as a way to overwrite all of them. Dolphin is basically seeing new textures for each frame of each text due to the way this game works

I understand that. I am upscaling the original texturas with AI witch are not only perfect upscales, but detail Is restored to them.
I Guess i Will manually delete the textures or get a terabyte External hard disk...
Does the text look the same? What about the texture names are they similar at all?

If the "texture hash" is the same for all entries (the first set of numbers) you may be able to use a wildcard, see https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...tures-info (the section "Duplicate Dumps and the Wildcard Character").

If the "tlut hash" (second set of numbers) is the same for all textures then I have a new feature open to address that, it will likely be merged in the coming weeks, see: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/9711

These features won't help you with the large amount of images being dumped but they will help you with providing a smaller set of textures for your texture pack.
(06-05-2021, 01:41 PM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Does the text look the same?  What about the texture names are they similar at all?

If the "texture hash" is the same for all entries (the first set of numbers) you may be able to use a wildcard, see https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ho...tures-info (the section "Duplicate Dumps and the Wildcard Character").

If the "tlut hash" (second set of numbers) is the same for all textures then I have a new feature open to address that, it will likely be merged in the coming weeks, see: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/9711

These features won't help you with the large amount of images being dumped but they will help you with providing a smaller set of textures for your texture pack.

i can check the names but i think its a generic name, since the text textures where mixed with pokemon skins. the output is a half screen of an alpha transparent layer, then a bunch of symbols and letters, with the worlds on white bold. the words are scrambled. for each word a new texture is created. on EACH level EACH word is re-generated. i just deleted over 20 gbs of text duplicates. will dump some textures and will upload a compressed folder of text textures to give out as an example if you can help me to unify or do something to disable dumping on this game in this kind of texture, since i am getting 80% of text textures and 20% of useful textures. so from 1000 textures 800 is garbage text and 200 useful from stages/pokemons/pokemons attacks.

EDIT:
here about 938 text textures. and this is just from a single battle that lasted like 10 minutes. some text textures where outside since from 1000 textures, only 30 are useful for upscale.
compressed text textures