Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Paper Mario 'Dyllis' bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Cream Corn

Hello all,

I think I found a bug...

If playing Super Paper Mario using the newer build 5.0-14311:  When I enter Dyllis' restaurant "Hot Fraun" the game just sort of hangs.

If playing in build 5.0-1589, when entering Dyllis' restaurant, the game works as expected.

Description of the bug:  Normally when entering a house in Super Paper Mario, the scene shifts to a view inside the house, an animation of a 'fade from black' plays along with a corresponding sound effect, then the player characters walk into the house through the door, and finally control is passed back to the player.  But when entering Dyllis' restaurant in Flopside, the scene shifts to a view inside the house but the 'fade from black' doesn't occur (the sound effect still plays), the player characters are left standing outside of the house, and the game becomes soft-locked.  The game music continues to play, the idle animations still work, but it's as if the 'enter a house' animation gets stuck and controls are never passed back to the player, which effectively breaks the game.  This happens on build 14095 and 14311, but Not build 1589.

Have any of you seen this?  Is it something that should be reported in a formal bug report?

Thanks in advance for the info!
I don't believe this is a bug that has been reported before.

Please try Dolphin 5.0-14318 or later. It (and also the preceding change) fixes a bug regarding bounding box calculations, which this game relies on heavily.

Cream Corn

Thanks for the info, I tried 14318 and got the same result.  Here's a pic of what happens when going into Dyllis's restaurant:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=19680]

Everything's doing their idle animations and the game music is still playing, but Mario just stands in the door instead of finishing the animation of actually entering the building and continuing with the game.  What's weird is that Dolphin build 1589 doesn't have this problem.
Thanks for the reply, I tested build 14318 and got the same result. I tried to post a picture illustrating how it looks after the hang but the reply and the picture didn't appear in this thread.
Have you tried the other video backends? I suggest giving Vulkan a try...

PharaohMarcos

I'm having the same issue with Development builds from the past week. Currently just tested it with 5.0-14326 and have same exact bug.

Other backends: Vulkan doesn't even load for me even though I'm on latest Nvidia drivers (usually works in other emulators). I've had same problem with OpenGL, Direct3D 11 and Direct3D 12. Also I did try Native resolution and disabling my only Gecko code (Infinite Time in 3D Mode).

Bug occurs regardless of loading state from memory or loading from game save file. Only happens on Dyllis' restaurant and like others said music runs fine, just simply all controls stop working from controller and animations keep going. Mario is just frozen from being able to walk in, and can't walk out either.
I have a screenshot too but I'm new here so don't think I can post it yet. I don't know how to submit Bug but if someone can do that, I'd appreciate it.
I don't know what build 1589 is (is that stable version?) cause it's not in development versions. but I do want to know cause I can't complete my last 3 recipes until I fix this bug. Dyllis would not stand for Mario being stuck in doorway, she would say Go in or Go out, don't stay stuck.

Cream Corn

(06-02-2021, 05:13 AM)PharaohMarcos Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having the same issue with Development builds from the past week.  Currently just tested it with 5.0-14326 and have same exact bug.  

Other backends: Vulkan doesn't even load for me even though I'm on latest Nvidia drivers (usually works in other emulators).  I've had same problem with OpenGL, Direct3D 11 and Direct3D 12. Also I did try Native resolution and disabling my only Gecko code (Infinite Time in 3D Mode).

Bug occurs regardless of loading state from memory or loading from game save file.  Only happens on Dyllis' restaurant and like others said music runs fine, just simply all controls stop working from controller and animations keep going.  Mario is just frozen from being able to walk in, and can't walk out either.  
I have a screenshot too but I'm new here so don't think I can post it yet.  I don't know how to submit Bug but if someone can do that, I'd appreciate it.  
I don't know what build 1589 is (is that stable version?) cause it's not in development versions. but I do want to know cause I can't complete my last 3 recipes until I fix this bug.  Dyllis would not stand for Mario being stuck in doorway, she would say Go in or Go out, don't stay stuck.

Dyllis is a no-nonsense chef, and she Can be pretty demanding...  I think she'd put Chef Ramsey in his place if he ever had to work with her!  It probably annoys her to no end to see Mario and company just Standing in front of her open door, so this bug should be fixed ASAP before she puts the Dolphin crew in her sights.  Thank you for quantifying my bug finding, I posted a report in the bug forum: Bug 12531

I'm new to the forums too, so Welcome!  Dev build 1589 is an old development build after 5.0 was released, and it included the first implementation of the 'bounding box' fix (I think).  I needed it to play Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door (an Epic game).  By the way, I'm So Glad that Dolphin is a thing, since my son scratched the crud out of my Super Paper Mario DVD, and my Thousand Year Door game is packed wherever my GameCube is located (somewhere in my basement).  It's nice to be able to play those games again. Heart

PharaohMarcos

(06-02-2021, 09:08 AM)Cream Corn Wrote: [ -> ]Dyllis is a no-nonsense chef, and she Can be pretty demanding...  I think she'd put Chef Ramsey in his place if he ever had to work with her!  It probably annoys her to no end to see Mario and company just Standing in front of her open door, so this bug should be fixed ASAP before she puts the Dolphin crew in her sights.  Thank you for quantifying my bug finding, I posted a report in the bug forum: Bug 12531

I'm new to the forums too, so Welcome!  Dev build 1589 is an old development build after 5.0 was released, and it included the first implementation of the 'bounding box' fix (I think).  I needed it to play Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door (an Epic game).  By the way, I'm So Glad that Dolphin is a thing, since my son scratched the crud out of my Super Paper Mario DVD, and my Thousand Year Door game is packed wherever my GameCube is located (somewhere in my basement).  It's nice to be able to play those games again. Heart

I followed up and did a lot more tests and narrowed down the Exact Build that broke it. If you can update the Bug Report because there's an error on there, you said that version 5.0-14095 problem occurs but I think you should retry it because it does work fine for me.  Be sure to load from game save rather than save state.

Basically Latest Beta Works:
dolphin-master-5.0-14095-x64 Beta Works

Development Versions:

dolphin-master-5.0-14254-x64 Dev Works

dolphin-master-5.0-14257-x64 Dev Bugged - Changelog VideoCommon: Account for pixel quads in bounding box calculation (PR #9736 from Techjar) 
dolphin-master-5.0-14259-x64 Dev Bugged 
Every version after dolphin-master-5.0-14259-x64 Dev is Bugged in Development Builds

Simply reverting that changelog for that version or looking into why will fix it for future builds.

I'm also on R8PE01 (0001000052385045) and this occurs on ISO and WBFS versions.
For better support create an issue here https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues
(06-04-2021, 02:13 AM)nonexist Wrote: [ -> ]For better support create an issue here https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues

They've already made an issue there: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/12531

Also, the issue tracker is not for support, it's for the developers to keep track of bugs that need to be fixed. Though in this case, it does seem like the problem is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Cream Corn

(06-03-2021, 03:12 PM)PharaohMarcos Wrote: [ -> ]I followed up and did a lot more tests and narrowed down the Exact Build that broke it. If you can update the Bug Report because there's an error on there, you said that version 5.0-14095 problem occurs but I think you should retry it because it does work fine for me.  Be sure to load from game save rather than save state.

Basically Latest Beta Works:
dolphin-master-5.0-14095-x64 Beta Works

Development Versions:

dolphin-master-5.0-14254-x64 Dev Works

dolphin-master-5.0-14257-x64 Dev Bugged - Changelog VideoCommon: Account for pixel quads in bounding box calculation (PR #9736 from Techjar) 
dolphin-master-5.0-14259-x64 Dev Bugged 
Every version after dolphin-master-5.0-14259-x64 Dev is Bugged in Development Builds

Simply reverting that changelog for that version or looking into why will fix it for future builds.

I'm also on R8PE01 (0001000052385045) and this occurs on ISO and WBFS versions.

You rock!  I went ahead and updated the bug report, hopefully the coding gurus will figure out what was causing the Dyllis Crash soon and write a new update to correct it.  It's possible that fixing the Dyllis bug will fix some other bugs too.  Sorta reminds me of when I was learning how to create an index buffer for a DirectX vertex buffer that I used in an early 2D game, the math I used worked on NVidia cards but not ATI/AMD card.  I almost released that game in a bugged state until I released a beta, and heard from about half of the testers that the game was coming up to a black screen!  It worked Fine on my programming machine though.  I went out and bought an AMD video card and tested it myself and sure enough, the game came up on a black screen while it ran fine on my nVidia rig.  I checked my index buffer code and found where the math wasn't correct when constructing the indexed quads out of triangle strips, and nVidia cards didn't care about the error while the AMD card wouldn't display anything.  So I Totally understand plugging away on a project without even knowing that there's an obscure bug in your code, and then finding out about it weeks or months later and having to backtrack to fix it.  I genuinely appreciate the teamwork and collaboration that goes into the Dolphin project, and as a result it is a Superior emulator and a true testament to the dedication of the ones who are putting it together.