Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: LLE audio suddenly needs realtime CPU priority (?!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm on build 5.0-12017 on Windows 10, and all of a sudden, LLE Recompiler is causing Dolphin to chug down to unplayable speeds unless I use Task Manager to force Dolphin's CPU priority to Realtime (High priority doesn't work), which according to Raymond Chen, is an absolutely terrible idea. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Some things to try:
-Have you tried a Restart (not shutdown) of your computer
-Is Windows up to date?
-Do you have a profile for dolphin setup in the Nvidia Control Panel to under Manage 3D settings to set the Power management to 'prefer maximum performance'?
-Is there a previous version where LLE doesn't cause this problem? If you use the Bisecting Tool ( you can find it somewhere on this forum), can you pinpoint the exact version where it starts to cause problems?
-Why not just use HLE?
(05-19-2020, 08:35 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Some things to try:
-Have you tried a Restart (not shutdown) of your computer
-Is Windows up to date?
-Do you have a profile for dolphin setup in the Nvidia Control Panel to under Manage 3D settings to set the Power management to 'prefer maximum performance'?
-Is there a previous version where LLE doesn't cause this problem? If you use the Bisecting Tool ( you can find it somewhere on this forum), can you pinpoint the exact version where it starts to cause problems?
-Why not just use HLE?

-Rebooting did not fix the issue.
-Windows is up to date, at least until MS finally issues the May 2020 Update
-Yes, and I don't see how that would affect a CPU-related slowdown problem
-Irrelevant; I was able to use LLE Audio with no such issues on this exact version of Dolphin until today.
-LLE is required for most homebrew to work properly.

EDIT: I just tried LLE Interpreter; of all things, THAT ran at full speed.
I'd worry that anyone who'd even think of trying realtime priority for Dolphin might have tried doing it for something else. Maybe something that runs periodically was stealing CPU cycles and it's just coincidence that it happened at the same time.
(05-19-2020, 09:14 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd worry that anyone who'd even think of trying realtime priority for Dolphin might have tried doing it for something else. Maybe something that runs periodically was stealing CPU cycles and it's just coincidence that it happened at the same time.

I have never used realtime priority for anything else, and I'd like to not need it for homebrew in Dolphin.
(05-19-2020, 08:39 AM)AutoFire Wrote: [ -> ]...
-Yes, and I don't see how that would affect a CPU-related slowdown problem
This is a general-purpose thing that you should do to prevent the GPU thread from stalling the CPU thread in Dolphin.

(05-19-2020, 08:39 AM)AutoFire Wrote: [ -> ]...
-Irrelevant; I was able to use LLE Audio with no such issues on this exact version of Dolphin until today.
-LLE is required for most homebrew to work properly.

EDIT: I just tried LLE Interpreter; of all things, THAT ran at full speed.
More questions:
-Did the slowdown happen during the use of Dolphin, or right when you opened a new Dolphin session?
-Are you using the Dolphin-provided reverse-engineered DSP ROM files, or did you dump them yourself from your Wii?
-Does this happen if you disable dual-core mode (aka running in single-core mode)?
-Which homebrew specifically are you trying to run? Or are you making homebrew?
-If you boot into Windows Safe Mode, do you have the same problem? (This is to negate the possibility of something else interfering with Dolphin's CPU usage)
(05-20-2020, 01:48 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]This is a general-purpose thing that you should do to prevent the GPU thread from stalling the CPU thread in Dolphin.

More questions:
-Did the slowdown happen during the use of Dolphin, or right when you opened a new Dolphin session?
-Are you using the Dolphin-provided reverse-engineered DSP ROM files, or did you dump them yourself from your Wii?
-Does this happen if you disable dual-core mode (aka running in single-core mode)?
-Which homebrew specifically are you trying to run? Or are you making homebrew?
-If you boot into Windows Safe Mode, do you have the same problem? (This is to negate the possibility of something else interfering with Dolphin's CPU usage)

-It kicks in a few seconds after the first software boot after Dolphin is launched for the first time. It then happens immediately to all software Dolphin subsequently boots, even after Dolphin itself is closed and relaunched.
-I use DSP roms dumped from my Wii; switching to the reverse-engineered ones made no difference.
-Yes, it still happens in single core.
-I was trying to run Project M 3.6.
-You might be on to something here; When I watch the CPU Performance graph in Task Manager, I notice a spike in usage, followed by a sudden drop in CPU utilization when the slowdown starts. This did not happen in Safe Mode, though I am unsure how to figure out what is interfering, and why it only happens in DSP LLE Recompiler mode.
Are you running the Project M as a rebuilt ISO, or loading off the (virtual) sd card?

Do you have any antivirus or scanner programs running in the background?
(05-20-2020, 07:14 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Are you running the Project M as a rebuilt ISO, or loading off the (virtual) sd card?

Do you have any antivirus or scanner programs running in the background?

SD Card.

All I have is Microsoft Defender, and that isn't responsible - granting Dolphin.exe an exception from virus scanning had no effect...

Also, I stopped trying to run Project M, and Dolphin is still being throttled, even in GC games (where "Insert SD Card" should be irrelevant).
Have you tried LLE interpreter?? I have the same problem (I reckon). I posted here in this forum and no one was able to help me..
If I use LLE recompiler there is serious stuttering, with interpreter all goes smooth. Sorry, I just read you tried and it is fine.
Well, I think it is an issue. I have the same cpu, IDK if that is the problem.
Pages: 1 2