Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using upscaled textures causes GPU error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently working on HD texture pack for TLoZ: FSA. It was going fairly well until Eastern Temple (Level 2-3).

This game generates loads and loads of a tiny bit different recolors of spritesheets for different usages, but now ones for grounds are important. After I add upscaled versions of ground titles used in this level, game eventually hits GPU error (invalid instruction ff) and either instantly or soon hangs (it even resulted in shader cache corruption at one point). Letting shadow link use his hammer always results in such an error, but it might very well happen before that. It seems to have happened once even in (in-game) menu before starting level. Disabling dual core does nothing.

What could cause such a problem? Is fact that adding those textures results in going over 4GB (to 5000+ MB) for custom texture memory relevant? Of course, I could try bisecting textures to find which one(s) is/are causing troubles, but there are lots of them and I have little idea what to do after that.
Does this happen regardless of whether the dual core setting is enabled? Usually when custom textures case issues, it's because they increase the GPU load, which in the case of using dual core can make the game misbehave if you're unlucky.
(03-01-2020, 04:24 AM)v1993 Wrote: [ -> ]Disabling dual core does nothing.

Yes, it does not help.
(03-01-2020, 04:28 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Does this happen regardless of whether the dual core setting is enabled? Usually when custom textures case issues, it's because they increase the GPU load, which in the case of using dual core can make the game misbehave if you're unlucky.

Yes, disabling dual core does nothing. (Sorry for messing up with reply first time, I'm still new to this forum)
I'm having the same issue. Any texture pack over like 5GB breaks dolphin if I prefetch them. My SSD is fast enough that I don't need to prefetch, but I'd prefer not to use that
(03-01-2020, 11:04 AM)KatIsntGood Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having the same issue. Any texture pack over like 5GB breaks dolphin if I prefetch them. My SSD is fast enough that I don't need to prefetch, but I'd prefer not to use that

You likely don't have enough RAM 5GB is alot for only 8GB of RAM
(03-01-2020, 11:51 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]You likely don't have enough RAM 5GB is alot for only 8GB of RAM

Forgot to mention that I'm using prefetch (not using it leads to horrible lags all the time). I have 16GB RAM (+8GB ZRAM) and running Dolphin leaves some memory free, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Looks like this is an actual issue. If I remove some other textures and keep new ones, reducing size, crash doesn't happen.

My stupid guess is that somewhere in Dolphin pointer offset gets stored as 32-bit unsigned, leading to problems with accessing memory beyond some size.

UPD: created bug for this: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/11994
(03-01-2020, 04:28 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Does this happen regardless of whether the dual core setting is enabled? Usually when custom textures case issues, it's because they increase the GPU load, which in the case of using dual core can make the game misbehave if you're unlucky.

Testing more reveals that this problem happens not because of individual textures but because of big total size combined with "Prefetch Custom Textures" option. If I either remove some textures or disable that option, crashes no longer happen. However, lack of prefetching results in horrible lags even if I store custom textures on ramdisk.
Are you using .png or .dds textures?
(03-02-2020, 04:15 AM)Miksel12 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using .png or .dds textures?

.png
Pages: 1 2