Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Possible to get widescreen on GC startup animation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to see the GC startup animation in widescreen whenever I start a GC game.
Is this possible to do with a widescreen hack? I remember that I tried to achieve this about a year ago but didn't manage to get it to work.
(02-04-2020, 01:22 AM)Dime333 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to see the GC startup animation in widescreen whenever I start a GC game.
Is this possible to do with a widescreen hack? I remember that I tried to achieve this about a year ago but didn't manage to get it to work.

I believe you can force a resolution in dolphin. Don’t know if that’s the thing what you want tho!
I always thought when using force 16:9 the intro looked normal and not stretched, I don't think there's a way to use a code for the system itself but I could be wrong.
Honestly, given the GC logo is essentially contained in a square, with a label at the bottom, and that the IPL animation is played centered on screen with a completely black background, I fail to see how it could benefit from a widescreen patch...
(03-10-2020, 06:19 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, given the GC logo is essentially contained in a square, with a label at the bottom, and that the IPL animation is played centered on screen with a completely black background, I fail to see how it could benefit from a widescreen patch...

Plus I would wager a good 75 percent of users don't even watch the startup, I always have it skip.
(03-12-2020, 06:18 AM)calebthegeek Wrote: [ -> ]Plus I would wager a good 75 percent of users don't even watch the startup, I always have it skip.

Just to be clear. My post is not a feature request or anything like that. I was simply wondering if it's possible to boot the games without having the IPL animation stretched since that would obviously look nicer. If that's not possible then that's totally fine and not a big deal at all. The number of users who watch or don't watch the startup is irrelevant.

Anyway. I found this post that seems to indicate that it is possible to make this work by using a gecko code in individual game inis. I still can't get it to work. Maby I'm doing something wrong or maby I'm completely misunderstanding the post. The animation still gets stretched for me.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...#pid410049
If the IPL is stretched then you have manually set Dolphin graphics settings to "Force 16:9" or "Stretch". By default, Dolphin is configured to "Auto" aspect ratio, which will give you a proper 4:3 GameCube IPL and will automatically switch to 16:9 on the GameCube/Wii games that natively support widescreen or that have properly written widescreen codes applied to them...
(03-13-2020, 10:22 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]If the IPL is stretched then you have manually set Dolphin graphics settings to "Force 16:9" or "Stretch". By default, Dolphin is configured to "Auto" aspect ratio, which will give you a proper 4:3 GameCube IPL and will automatically switch to 16:9 on the GameCube/Wii games that natively support widescreen or that have properly written widescreen codes applied to them...

You are right. I am using stretch. This is because when I play games that don't look good in widescreen, I use bezels. And the "auto" setting made my games not fit the bezels very well. But I can adjust that to fit if I really need to.

Here's something that I don't undersatand. I get different results with different games when using auto aspect ratio. Here are some examples.

Super Mario Sunshine displays the GC logo perfectly. I'm using Gecko widescreen codes for this one.
Super Mario Strikers displays the GC logo stretched when using the built-in widescreen hack.
Super Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door displays the GC logo perfectly when using the built-in widescreen hack.

How come some games stretch the GC logo and some don't?

All games are (USA) and confirmed good dumps by dolphin.

Thanks for your help.
(04-02-2020, 02:23 AM)Dime333 Wrote: [ -> ]You are right. I am using stretch. This is because when I play games that don't look good in widescreen, I use bezels. And the "auto" setting made my games not fit the bezels very well. But I can adjust that to fit if I really need to.
The TL;DR is that a lot of GC/Wii games don't run exactly at 4:3 or 16:9 ratios, as result some might have a little bit of black borders even when "Auto" aspect ratio is selected. On the Advanced tab of the Graphics settings, there's a "crop" option which should fix that without distorting the image. Try that, together with "Auto" aspect ratio.

(04-02-2020, 02:23 AM)Dime333 Wrote: [ -> ]How come some games stretch the GC logo and some don't?
Well, on the games you're relying solely on the widescreen hack, that's expected (it's a hack after all). Always prefer the game's native option (if available) or a Gecko/AR Code. Use widescreen hack as your last resort only.

Also keep in mind the majority of the GameCube game library do not natively support widescreen. On the few games that do support widescreen natively, it will work out of the box and Dolphin will switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 as needed (depending of the game you might need to manually enable widescreen through its options). There is also Gecko/AR Codes to enable widescreen support on games that don't have that option natively, and while that varies from code to code, most of them will also work with Dolphin's "Auto" aspect ratio, properly switching back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 as needed.
(04-02-2020, 08:16 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, on the games you're relying solely on the widescreen hack, that's expected (it's a hack after all). Always prefer the game's native option (if available) or a Gecko/AR Code. Use widescreen hack as your last resort only

Thank you for taking the time help me out. One of the first things I did when adding Gamecube games to my gaming PC was to go through all the games that natively support widescreen and activate it for those games. Then I set up the rest to use the widescreen hack. I know this is indeed a hack and I don't expect it to work with all games, so whenever I find a game that has issues with it, I check to see if there are widescreen codes for that game. Whenever I want to play through an entire game, I always make sure that I use specific widescreen codes and HD texture packs and so on in order to get the best experience possible. Lastly I use bezels for games like Resident Evil that uses static backgrounds and will never look good in widescreen.

I still don't understand why the IPL gets stretched when booting Mario Strikers and not when booting Paper Mario with the widescreen hack. Both are just executing the IPL before starting the game, right? Or am I mistaken about how that works.

This is obviously not a big deal. I'm just interested in how this works. Thanks again.
Pages: 1 2