Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy stutter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, i've recently reset my computer to get better performance. Before my computer ran SMG perfectly and now i'm getting stutters and FPS drops. I have a GTX 1060 which I think is enough to run this game so what could I do to fix that ?
Hey ! I found was caused stutters. In the settings, i checked the setting named :
Ignore access to the EFB from the CPU.
I'm happy that the stutters are gone but …. What the heck is EFB ? Does that setting removes something to the game ?
If you enable that setting, pull stars won't work and you won't be able to aim correctly when shooting star bits.
(12-07-2019, 01:21 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you enable that setting, pull stars won't work and you won't be able to aim correctly when shooting star bits.

Hey Jos, I had one question about another game I was playing. I use OpenGL, Win 7, and 1080ti. Performance is amazing generally. In NSMB I have to enable Store EFB Copies to Texture Only, or on World 2 I get nearly 20FPS drops on the sand geysers. I use 4K internal and a couple other settings checked, but this setting is the only issue that prevents me from doing 60FPS solid. Is this normal? Is it better to leave it on this setting, or does this cause issues in other games? Obviously, the 1080ti has tons of RAM, so I am not sure if I even need to leave this unchecked ever. I can't seem to find much on the wiki about this specific setting. Thanks.
While having that setting enabled can cause issues in some games, games that need to have it disabled generally have it be disabled automatically using the game INI system. (The same applies to Skip EFB Access from CPU – Super Mario Galaxy is one of the games that that setting automatically gets disabled for.) As long as you don't override Dolphin's game INIs by manually turning the setting on when you're in the middle of playing a game that needs the setting to be off (New Super Mario Bros. Wii is not one of them), it should be fine.
(12-07-2019, 08:47 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]While having that setting enabled can cause issues in some games, games that need to have it disabled generally have it be disabled automatically using the game INI system. (The same applies to Skip EFB Access from CPU – Super Mario Galaxy is one of the games that that setting automatically gets disabled for.) As long as you don't override Dolphin's game INIs by manually turning the setting on when you're in the middle of playing a game that needs the setting to be off (New Super Mario Bros. Wii is not one of them), it should be fine.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I can surely leave it off except for NSMB, but I was wondering if that was even needed or if the 1080ti would be okay with tons of RAM. Do you have a reason as to why I would see a huge 20 FPS drop like that with it off in NSMB? Anyway, not a huge deal, I was just glad I found the issue.

The CPU thing I understand. I always have that off. But to texture setting seems like it would be better off just on my GPU, so that is why I left it on. In NSMB it obviously helped a ton.
There is something very wrong with your system or config if you have that CPU and GPU and you're having issues achieving full speed in anything.
(12-08-2019, 12:31 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]There is something very wrong with your system or config if you have that CPU and GPU and you're having issues achieving full speed in anything.

I don't see anything wrong anywhere else. Actually, that is my old config lol. I have a 1080ti and 3770K. I use dual core and WASAPI. I use OpenGL, async uber, and compile before start up with 4K native, 4xMSAA, 16x Aniso, per-pixel, force 24 bit, disable copy filter, force filtering, and scaled EFB copy checked. Nothing else really seems amiss, and I don't have any issues in other games.

As I said when I uncheck this setting, the issue goes away completely. So that would point to that setting in my config being the issue, as long as I don't have other issues. But it's not like I am running this native wii res lol.

Can anyone tell me if store efb to texture only has any issues elsewhere? My 1080ti has tons of RAM. But yeah if that is not checked I get super slowdown in parts of NSMB. But why not check it? What issues does it cause? I don't want to use my system memory if I don't have to for this. Obviously, I will just leave it checked until I see issues. I haven't though. Games are smooth as butter.
EFB to texture only unchecked isn't for low memory video cards. It allows the gamecube to read the EFB. Many games don't read the efb, and disabling it can improve performance.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2018/07/21/...fer-copies
Years ago, NSMBWii needed this setting for coins to rotate. You can leave EFB to texture only checked.

NSMBWii is not hard to run. On my gtx 1060 I get much better performance (on the latest dev build, at least. Did not test stable)
Same settings at the 2-1 first geyser (assuming you mean 6x native for 4k, not 4x native for 1440p)
EFB to texture only checked: 136 fps
EFB to texture only unchecked, Defer efb checked: 76 fps
EFB to texture only unchecked, Defer efb unchecked: 61 fps

Make sure windows and nvidia control panel are set to high performance. Are these very short drops when the geyser first appears? It might still be shader compilation. Nvidia with async ubershaders tends to work better on d3d11.

You can probably leave most of the hacks on. Dolphin automatically will turn off anything that will prevent you from beating the game, however, it may prevent some non-essential effects from working. For example, Smash Brawl with all hacks on has a green/purple rectangle in classic mode results, will not allow you to take in-game screenshots, and will have the character offstage effect incorrect.
(12-21-2019, 09:23 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]EFB to texture only unchecked isn't for low memory video cards. It allows the gamecube to read the EFB. Many games don't read the efb, and disabling it can improve performance.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2018/07/21/...fer-copies
Years ago, NSMBWii needed this setting for coins to rotate. You can leave EFB to texture only checked.

NSMBWii is not hard to run. On my gtx 1060 I get much better performance (on the latest dev build, at least. Did not test stable)
Same settings at the 2-1 first geyser (assuming you mean 6x native for 4k, not 4x native for 1440p)
EFB to texture only checked: 136 fps
EFB to texture only unchecked, Defer efb checked: 76 fps
EFB to texture only unchecked, Defer efb unchecked: 61 fps

Make sure windows and nvidia control panel are set to high performance. Are these very short drops when the geyser first appears? It might still be shader compilation. Nvidia with async ubershaders tends to work better on d3d11.

You can probably leave most of the hacks on. Dolphin automatically will turn off anything that will prevent you from beating the game, however, it may prevent some non-essential effects from working. For example, Smash Brawl with all hacks on has a green/purple rectangle in classic mode results, will not allow you to take in-game screenshots, and will have the character offstage effect incorrect.

Okay thanks. It does seem like you are getting gigantic drops too just not as bad as I am. I am on Win 7, and only use a 3770K, so there could be issues there. Of course I have a bunch of other stuff checked and the texture pack as I mostly outlined above.

Yes, the geyser immediately drops me hard down to like 40FPS with it unchecked.

Edit: everything is fine with Nvidia profile. Behavior is much like you are experiencing. Game is not hard to run, but you got 60+ FPS drops, and that is what I am seeing as well. I mean for a setting that drops your performance that much in any game, I don't think it should be checked by default unless there are other issues. Also, we do have different GPUs, so there can always be strange issues there. But at any rate that game is objectively hard to run with the setting off.

It tanks to like 40 though on my system consistently the whole time. I turned off async, tried uber, which made it way worse, and did a couple other things. It is definitely this ONE setting which completely tanks this game for me. Good to know I guess. I'll be leaving this setting on. In fact, why even leave it off? It seems like the drawbacks are huge.
Pages: 1 2