Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: synchronous (ubershaders) system requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dolphin says to use synchronous ubershaders it requires High gpu requirements and is recommended for "high end systems". it's a bit vague. what counts as a high end system. I have an i-3 7350k @ 4.2ghz and a gtx 1650 4GB and if it matters 8GB ddr4 2400. will synchronous ubershaders on a high end system really provide a nearly shutter free experience? I'm not sure it makes much of a difference on my pc i notice decreased gpu performance when enabled but i can just turn down the internal resolution and then performance seems about the same.
There is almost no reason to use synchronous over asynchronous, you're just adding more strain to your GPU for no reason.
I was looking for that shutter free part but both shutter either way.
Did you enable compile shader before starting. Also what backend and driver your using, and what games also.
yes compile sharers before starting is enabled. open gl nvidia 430.50 linux ubuntu based. most games shutter at least a little bit wii games seem to shutter more often.
That tooltip is misleading. 99% of users won't have any use for Synchronous Ubershaders, no matter how powerful their computers are. In fact, by using it you'll be just stressing out the GPU really hard for nothing, as the end results will be the same from Asynchronous Ubershaders. Now, about your casual stuttering even with ubershaders enabled, as far as I recall, it's a NVIDIA thing. On Windows, NVIDIA GPU + OpenGL also results in that same occasional stuttering even with ubershaders enabled, and that can be fixed by switching to another video backend (generally DirectX 11/12). Since that's not available on Linux, try Vulkan, should also fix the occasional stuttering...
Thank you. for some reason i forgot to try vulkan works better thanks again.
(11-12-2019, 02:44 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]That tooltip is misleading. 99% of users won't have any use for Synchronous Ubershaders, no matter how powerful their computers are. In fact, by using it you'll be just stressing out the GPU really hard for nothing, as the end results will be the same from Asynchronous Ubershaders. Now, about your casual stuttering even with ubershaders enabled, as far as I recall, it's a NVIDIA thing. On Windows, NVIDIA GPU + OpenGL also results in that same occasional stuttering even with ubershaders enabled, and that can be fixed by switching to another video backend (generally DirectX 11/12). Since that's not available on Linux, try Vulkan, should also fix the occasional stuttering...

I am inclinded to humbly disagree here. While slight, for me, Synchronous Ubershaders would further increase the reflection effects in certain games, in others it would add more or better colors. However, the effect is pretty low, and the FPS hit is hard and imo indeed not worth it.

To say that it stresses your GPU for no benefit is wrong however in my experience. To say that the huge FPS hit is not worth it is accurate though. I could probably get Synchronous Ubershaders to run if I lower MSAA or internal resolution... But then i´d be sacrificing sharpness and detail for more shader effects.... A no go there for me personaly. Plus as said, Synchronous Ubershaders don´t add much that the standard Synchronous shader doesn´t already add. In my experience depending on game, the Synchronous Shader already adds 80 to 95% of the shader effects. So using Ubershaders, in the best case scenario, may add a neglegible 20% in effects, and all that for a huge FPS hit that my system cannot handle.

Since my GPU is a bottleneck and i´m likely going for Navi, I will try again after adding a Navi card and more GPU power. If it is possible to run Ubershaders without lag(minimum 60fps constantly) I would add this option. I´m a graphics fetishist and for me, the slightly enhanced effects in games make it a worthy option to choose if you have the power for it.

In my oppinion Dolphin developers should keep working on Ubershaders so that future generations of Ubershaders might create less fps hits. To say that Ubershaders don´t add effects or visual enhancement, is just plain wrong. Also, keep in mind that with every passing year, average GPU and CPU performance rise.

It´s not really a feasible option though unless you have one beast of a PC. The Synchronous shader is definitely the best of the both worlds, visual effects and performance, right now.
(11-20-2019, 10:54 AM)Materia Wrote: [ -> ]To say that Ubershaders don´t add effects or visual enhancement, is just plain wrong.

No, this is actually completely correct. The graphics are identical between all shader compilation modes other than Skip Drawing (barring driver bugs).
(11-20-2019, 09:18 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No, this is actually completely correct. The graphics are identical between all shader compilation modes other than Skip Drawing (barring driver bugs).

Since you said it, I tested again in more detailed, and again have to disagree. Although correction from my side, narrow the difference down to less then 10% in certain games actualy.

First and foremost, any games that support detailed reflections will profit, albeit there are only a few titles who do that. Maybe that it is the first problem. The next problem might be that I run at simple 1080 HD and not at 1440 pixels or higher. Need a monitor update first. It is possible that the difference I see only occurs at 1080 pixels or less as higher resolutions might already tickle out the last improvements, including reflections, there are to be had from these old titles.

Other details might improve too. For instance, a flackering cape will maybe look the same, but is sharper and smoother on ubershaders. Without ubershaders it would appear to have slight blurr and imperfections at a closer look.
Pages: 1 2