Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this laptop run Gamecube w/ Dolphin (Batocera)??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm looking at a cheap laptop on Craigslist to use solely as a batcera retro arcade portable.  Here are the specs on it.  Just wondering if this would play Gamecube properly (no stuttering, dropped frames, etc).  I hope these specs are enough to go by:
  • HP PAVILION DV7-4277NR ENTERTAINMENT NOTEBOOK PC
  • SPS-IC PROC I5-480M 2.66GHZ 35W 3MB PGA
  • ATI mobility radeon premium graphics DirectX11
  • 4gb Ram
Those are the only specs I have at the moment.  I'm just uncertain as to whether the integrated video will handle it.  Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.  Thinking about picking it up this evening.  I would be running Batocera (Linux based) for multiple systems, but my primary goal is to run Gamecube games if possible.

Thanks!  Rick
You might be able to run some games at playable speeds (not full speed). Most games will probably not even run at playable speeds though. There will be slow downs, stuttering, ect. so it would not be properly running by what you want.

If you give me your budget, I might be able to recommend some alternatives that would work for you. It would also help to know what games you own and want to play in Dolphin.
(08-01-2019, 05:19 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]You might be able to run some games at playable speeds (not full speed).  Most games will probably not even run at playable speeds though.  There will be slow downs, stuttering, ect. so it would not be properly running by what you want.

If you give me your budget, I might be able to recommend some alternatives that would work for you.  It would also help to know what games you own and want to play in Dolphin.

Thanks for the info.  I actually passed on getting that laptop from CL.  I did however buy one yesterday for $15 (it didn't have hdd or ram, but for that price I couldn't pass it up.  I added 500gb hdd and 8GB ram).  I'm hoping to be able to run Dolphin for Gamecube games on it.  Here are the specs.  Do you think this'll run Gamecube ok (native resolution, 1x, 30/60 fps?

SPECS:
Dell Latitude E6230 w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000
3rd gen Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (2.9GHz, 4M cache)
8GB RAM - Hynix HMT351S6BFR8C-H9 (4GB x 2) PC3-10600S 1333MHz DDR3 Laptop Memory/RAM
500GB sata Hard Drive

I just got it last night but haven't had the time to play with it.  I'm looking to either run Batocera (linux OS) with Dolphin or could run Windows 10 Pro with Launchbox/Bigbox.

So... would this laptop be capable of Dolphin emulation (and if so, would it be better to run Win 10 w/ Bigbox or Batocera)?

This was just a cheap buy for my little one to play portable games with on the go.

Thanks!  Rick  Smile
Sorry but that's definitely a no. A first gen i5m doesn't even come close to the minimum spec for dolphin. I honestly couldn't see that even running some of the easiest to run games; I could be wrong there. However, you're definitely not going to have a playable experience in most. Not sure what options you have but an alternative is highly recommended.
It'll run animal crossing, melee, brawl just fine.

Most games will be less than full speed. I wouldn't use that laptop
Thanks to all for the input! Smile

I thought these specs might be ok. I'll give it a test and see just what I can do with it. For $15 this wasn't a bad deal at all:
SPECS:
Dell Latitude E6230 w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000
8GB RAM - Hynix HMT351S6BFR8C-H9 (4GB x 2) PC3-10600S 1333MHz DDR3 Laptop Memory/RAM
500GB sata Hard Drive
It is better then the first one in terms of the CPU. I am not sure how the HD4000 handles Dolphin in windows or linux, but Helios would probably know. Not sure if his response was to the first laptop or the second one though.
The CPU is ok for most games Dolphin can emulate, the bottleneck will be the Intel HD Graphics 4000. You won't get past native resolution with it and even at native demanding games will experience slowdowns...
(08-02-2019, 06:04 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU is ok for most games Dolphin can emulate, the bottleneck will be the Intel HD Graphics 4000. You won't get past native resolution with it and even at native demanding games will experience slowdowns...

Great.  Thanks again to all.  I have other pc's running Dolphin just fine.  Was just looking for a small laptop for portability that my kids could use.  This laptop was only 15 bucks so even if it doesn't work with gamecube it'll still make a good system for other emulation.  

I'll probably pop dolphin on it at some point just to monkey with it and see what I can get out of it.   Big Grin
(08-02-2019, 10:49 AM)RickWJ324 Wrote: [ -> ]Great.  Thanks again to all.  I have other pc's running Dolphin just fine.  Was just looking for a small laptop for portability that my kids could use.  This laptop was only 15 bucks so even if it doesn't work with gamecube it'll still make a good system for other emulation.  

I'll probably pop dolphin on it at some point just to monkey with it and see what I can get out of it.   Big Grin

Well, I loaded Dolphin on the laptop and tested Mario Kart Double Dash.  I'm happy to say that it ran a full 60fps without hiccups.  Played several full games without issue.  I even bumped it to 2x and VSYNC is on.  It ran without a problem!  I'll test a few more games and report the results.  I made a slight change with the storage before I even tested it, but other than that its the same specs I posted before:

Dell Latitude E6230 w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000
8GB RAM - Hynix HMT351S6BFR8C-H9 (4GB x 2) PC3-10600S 1333MHz DDR3 Laptop Memory/RAM
128gb SSD for OS and a 2nd 500gb hard drive for game storage.

I proceeded to load a few Windows games on it and so far they've been running fine (nothing demanding, things like Cuphead, Geometry Wars, and a couple others).  Best $15 I spent in a long time!!  Smile Going to load my launchbox/Big Box and pass this on to my 6 year old son to play with.   Big Grin

UPDATE: I just tested Zelda: Twilight Princess. It ran at a full 30 frames during all cinematics and gameplay was at 30, sometimes spiking a bit above 30. Same thing for Luigi's Mansion. The only problem I noticed in Luigi's Mansion was a weird glitch on his mouth during the opening cinematics when he's walking to the house. Other than that, it played fine.
**Just tried SSB and Mario Sunshine. SSB was a solid 60 and Mario was a solid 30. No hiccups in either game.
Pages: 1 2