Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this laptop run Gamecube w/ Dolphin (Batocera)??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry, but full speed with current development versions above native internal resolution on an Intel HD 4000 is definitely a hard sell, especially with Zelda Twilight Princess (have you reached Faron Woods? or Hyrule Field?). My laptop has this same iGPU in addition to the dedicated GT 635M and everything I tried on it above native resolution had FPS drops, some had FPS issues even at native.

TL;DR you're either lying or using hacky/inaccurate settings (e.g. EFB to RAM disabled and Skip EFB Access enabled on games that needs them, emulated GPU downclocking, etc)...
(08-04-2019, 03:33 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but full speed with current development versions above native internal resolution on an Intel HD 4000 is definitely a hard sell, especially with Zelda Twilight Princess (have you reached Faron Woods? or Hyrule Field?). My laptop has this same iGPU in addition to the dedicated GT 635M and everything I tried on it above native resolution had FPS drops, some had FPS issues even at native.

TL;DR you're either lying or using hacky/inaccurate settings (e.g. EFB to RAM disabled and Skip EFB Access enabled on games that needs them, emulated GPU downclocking, etc)...

Well.. not lying or hacking anything.  Don't know what to tell ya.  I have nothing to prove.  You can totally choose to not believe me..I'm ok with that.  I'm no expert on Dolphin or using it as emulation (I have a modded wii and a wii-u and have always played my Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U games on the actual consoles).  I have a beast of a pc that I do graphics/video editing on and it will run any game or emulator I throw at it with ease, however I don't want to game on that pc as it serves a specific function in my network.  When I got this laptop, my goal was to build a portable emulator system mainly for my son to use.  I thought Gamecube would be the max system I'd try to emulate and I'm glad to say that this laptop does the job nicely.  I'm a 49 year old dad with no reason to come on to a board like this to lie about something to try to impress anyone.   Confused

I've done NO hacks on any game (hell, I don't even know how to do that as I haven't played with Dolphin enough to do things like that).  The only thing that's different from my last posting is I am using the native 1x setting, but I did test a few iso's with 2x and they didn't have an issue.  I played Mario Kart for quite a bit on that setting with 150cc car.... no stutters.

As I tested a few other games, I found one that scared me (Zelda Ocarina of Time).  I found that I was only getting 20fps and figured maybe I hit a game that wasn't running smoothly.  However, researching it a bit it looks like that game is natively running at 20fps.  So...every game I've tried has been very smooth so far.  

As for your question about twilight princess, I only played for a very few minutes. Never was a zelda fan and only popped it in to test. Worked very smoothly for the time I played it.
I can also confirm that Intel 4000 is working smoothly for me.

Hardware - HP EliteBook 8470p:
CPU Intel i7-3740QM
iGPU Intel HD 4000
no dGPU

OS - Ubuntu 20.04
Vulkan backend
latest Kisak-Valve mesa ppa

I basically upgraded the old laptop with parts from eBay.
  • Replaced the DVD drive with 1TB SSD
  • Bought fastest cpu mobo could handle (3740QM) and replaced the old i5 Sandy Bridge generation on it.
  • Bumped up ram to 16GB
  • Ripped out crappy Windows replaced with Ubuntu
  • Display port to HDMI adapter
  • Old X360 Controller
  • Just bought a couple of Wiimotes plus
Project was to replaced an old Pentium NUC HTPC that was used primarily for Kodi, TV Front-end, and Video library.
Wanted to introduce light gaming to my 4yr old son; NUC couldn't handle it.
Also functions as a IoT temp station for room with a python sever on it so can check room temp where kids are at when I'm away from home.

What can I say I agree with the OP regarding HD 4000 as thus far we've been able to play quite smoothly...
  1. Luigi's Mansion
  2. Super Paper Mario
  3. Super Mario All Stars
  4. Mario Kart Wii
  5. Super Mario Sunshine
  6. Zelda Wind Waker
  7. Zelda Ocarina of Time.
  8. Dragon's Lair 3D Special Ed
  9. Wario World
  10. Sonic Unleased
All work quite fluidly and don't seem to have any dramas.
Using Native resolution on 50inch old plasma screen (11yrs old).
Also Using:
Vsync
Dolphin's async ubershaders
2x Anisotropic Filtering
Scaled EFB Copy
Per-Pixel Lighting
Force 24-bit Color
Arbitrary Mipmap Detection
Disabled Copy Filter
Store EFB Copies to Texture Only
Safe Accuracy
GPU Texture Decoding
Store XFB Copies to Texture Only
Skip Presenting Duplicate Frames
Fast Depth Calculation
Save Texture Cache to State

I do build and update from the latest master branch of Dolphin using CMake with gcc-10.

All in all, I believe what the OP is saying as I've got a pretty similar setup using eBay parts.
This is necropost but you're still (kinda) on topic, so I'll let this pass.

There's a big difference between using an Intel HD 4000 iGPU on Windows (like the OP reportedly did) and on Linux (like you), especially since Mesa drivers still provides updates for the Intel HD 4000 and even enable Vulkan support, compared to the proprietary Intel drivers for Windows which lacks any kind of Vulkan support and that stopped being updated years ago (apart from infrequent security fixes that often makes performance even worse -- and yes, that CVE mitigation eventually got ported to their Windows drivers).

And I still stand by what I said: an Intel HD 4000 GPU on Windows, with current development versions of Dolphin, won't get past native resolution while maintaining full speed on most games and demanding games will experience slowdowns even at native resolution. It'll likely perform better on Linux due to the better Mesa drivers available there but I still wouldn't expect any miracle.
Pages: 1 2