Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Savestates with Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How in the heck do you actually load states into an input recording? I have a semi finished input recording that I want to add more to, how do I go about that? I have to play the input recording to get to where I want to add more and then...what happens after? How do I reload savestates in the middle of recording to edit something?
I don't have much TASing experience, but... The important thing to do after loading the movie is to disable Movie > Read-Only Mode at the point where you want to edit it. When it comes to loading savestates, I think all you have to keep in mind is that you only can load savestates that were saved while you were playing back the same movie? Sorry if that isn't very helpful – feel free to ask again if what I'm saying doesn't make too much sense.
(06-08-2019, 03:14 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have much TASing experience, but... The important thing to do after loading the movie is to disable Movie > Read-Only Mode at the point where you want to edit it. When it comes to loading savestates, I think all you have to keep in mind is that you only can load savestates that were saved while you were playing back the same movie? Sorry if that isn't very helpful – feel free to ask again if what I'm saying doesn't make too much sense.

So to edit an input file I've already made, pause it at a certain point and then turn off Read-Only Mode, I understand that. But then how do I save that edit to the same file to dump the frames later? I can't play a movie and record one at the same time, can I?
To save, you can either use Movie > Export Recording... or just close the emulation window. You choose whether you want to overwrite the existing file or save to a new file.
(06-08-2019, 03:27 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]To save, you can either use Movie > Export Recording... or just close the emulation window. You choose whether you want to overwrite the existing file or save to a new file.

I didn't have that option after playing and adding onto a .dtm I already have.
Huh, okay. Hmm... If you save a savestate then I think it'll save a DTM file right next to it at the same time. You could use that if the "usual" way of saving a DTM doesn't work.
(06-08-2019, 06:47 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Huh, okay. Hmm... If you save a savestate then I think it'll save a DTM file right next to it at the same time. You could use that if the "usual" way of saving a DTM doesn't work.
It doesn't save my inputs though. It's just a savestate as a separate file. All I want to do is add onto the end of an existing DTM file. The savestate doesn't include all inputs before it, does it?
(06-08-2019, 06:47 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Huh, okay. Hmm... If you save a savestate then I think it'll save a DTM file right next to it at the same time. You could use that if the "usual" way of saving a DTM doesn't work.

When I save the slot, it saves it as a seperate file somewhere in the middle of my recording. I haven't been able to edit/add more inputs this whole time, which is what my goal is. To be able to go back and re-record a move in a missed Melee tas.
Just so we're on the same page, you're trying to change a specific part of a TAS but keep the later parts of that TAS identical?
(06-08-2019, 03:59 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Just so we're on the same page, you're trying to change a specific part of a TAS but keep the later parts of that TAS identical?

No, I'm pretty much trying to re-write the TAS from a certain point on. I'm messing with 20XX hackpack and I got hit during a TAS, so I want to go back to before I got hit, shield the attack, and then I'll play and add onto the inputs already recorded.
Pages: 1 2