Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 5.0-9638-x64 causing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Minty Meeo

I am having an issue with Dolphin builds past 5.0-9638-x64 (The big one that the recent blog post praises).

Whenever I try to start any game while using the Direct3D 11 backend, it fails to start.  I also see these messages appear in the log, which seem to be important:

Code:
videocommon\postprocessing.cpp:62 E[Video]: Post-processing shader not found: C:\Program Files\Dolphin-x64/Sys/Shaders/(off).glsl
common\msghandler.cpp:92 E[MASTER]: Warning: Failed to create 1024x1024x1 D3D backing texture
common\msghandler.cpp:92 E[MASTER]: Warning: Failed to create utility textures.
common\msghandler.cpp:92 E[MASTER]: Warning: Fifo shutting down while active
videobackends\d3d\d3dbase.cpp:190 N[Video]: Successfully released all device references!
common\msghandler.cpp:92 E[MASTER]: Warning: Failed to initialize video backend!

Unfortunately for me, Direct3D 11 is my only option.  OpenGL tanks because my drivers do not support "ARB_buffer_storage" (and I do not believe I can update to receive this feature).  Direct3D 12 and Vulkan are not options on my older hardware, afaik.  Software rendering is a meme.

Interestingly, OpenGL does work past 5.0-9638-x64 for me.

I am new to these forums, so I am unfamiliar with how to display my computer specs from my profile on this post.  Will I be forced to stick with 5.0-9633-x64 forever?  Thanks.
Your hardware is really ancient and doesn't fully support D3D11. There was probably a workaround that got removed in the VideoCommon unification. Unfortunately, unless you can upgrade your hardware, you will be stuck using an older build. For what it's worth, a GT 710 which will support D3D12 and Vulkan can be had for extremely cheap.

Minty Meeo

(04-04-2019, 07:04 PM)Techjar Wrote: [ -> ]Your hardware is really ancient and doesn't fully support D3D11. There was probably a workaround that got removed in the VideoCommon unification. Unfortunately, unless you can upgrade your hardware, you will be stuck using an older build. For what it's worth, a GT 710 which will support D3D12 and Vulkan can be had for extremely cheap.

That's what I was afraid of.   Sad   For a long time, my spare-parts computer was a living example of how even crud could run Dolphin Emulator's latest builds.  Hopefully, if there's any chance that re-implementing the workaround is considered, my log output and current hardware can hint at the problem.  Thanks to the Dolphin devs for everything thus far.

PS: The GeForce GT 240's last driver was 342.01.  Not sure if that can help.
If you decide to replace the video card, the GT 710 would suffice, and costs around $50. But I’d suggest the GT 1030 for around $85, which provides 3X the performance for less than 2X the cost, and is a 3 years newer design.