Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting full speed with SSBM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've read that others, especially in old threads, have been able to pull this off, but how? I'm using Dolphin SNV R 4525 32-bit.

Dual-core, Idle skipping, cheats, HLE, JIT Recompiler, Lock threads to cores, Optimize Quantizers, and DSP on thread are all enabled. I'm using the Direct3D9 plugin; OpenGL seems to be even slower. No settings have been altered within the Direct3D9 plugin.

In the menu/character selection screens of SSBM, I get full frame rates, but in game, say, the first stage of adventure mode, frame rates dip down to 40-35 fps, sometimes even lower if I'm battling mutiple characters (Say.. the Yoshi section.) Other stages are somewhat tolerable depending on how many characters are running around.

System specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram
AMD Athlon x2 240 Regor 2.8 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4200 (OC'd from 500 MHz core to 750 MHz)
(12-09-2009, 09:26 AM)PashPoot Wrote: [ -> ]I've read that others, especially in old threads, have been able to pull this off, but how? I'm using Dolphin SNV R 4525 32-bit.

Dual-core, Idle skipping, cheats, HLE, JIT Recompiler, Lock threads to cores, Optimize Quantizers, and DSP on thread are all enabled. I'm using the Direct3D9 plugin; OpenGL seems to be even slower. No settings have been altered within the Direct3D9 plugin.

In the menu/character selection screens of SSBM, I get full frame rates, but in game, say, the first stage of adventure mode, frame rates dip down to 40-35 fps, sometimes even lower if I'm battling mutiple characters (Say.. the Yoshi section.) Other stages are somewhat tolerable depending on how many characters are running around.

System specs:

2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram

It's very possible to get full framerate in Dolphin, What settings on it, such as video resolution?, and how many processes is Windows running?
(12-09-2009, 09:56 AM)twilightrose Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2009, 09:26 AM)PashPoot Wrote: [ -> ]I've read that others, especially in old threads, have been able to pull this off, but how? I'm using Dolphin SNV R 4525 32-bit.

System specs:

2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram

It's very possible to get full framerate in Dolphin, What settings on it, such as video resolution?, and how many processes is Windows running?

[Image: 2sb376v.png]

Everything else in the other two tabs has been disabled. Settings such as AA, anisotropic filtering, etc., within the ATI catalyst settings are also set to run from the applications settings. Frame rate is set to auto.

Windows task manager reports 49 processes running and physical memory 36%. I've also tried giving Dolphin above-normal priority in task manager.
(12-09-2009, 10:10 AM)PashPoot Wrote: [ -> ]

System specs:

2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram

Everything else in the other two tabs has been disabled. Settings such as AA, anisotropic filtering, etc., within the ATI catalyst settings are also set to run from the applications settings. Frame rate is set to auto.

Windows task manager reports 49 processes running and physical memory 36%. I've also tried giving Dolphin above-normal priority in task manager.

Have you tried disabling unused processes with programs such as GameBooster? Or manually disabled them in services.msc? also, Disabling the Themes service may speed up dolphin slightly, and another important question is, can you OC your cpu?
(12-09-2009, 10:22 AM)twilightrose Wrote: [ -> ]

System specs:

2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram

Have you tried disabling unused processes with programs such as GameBooster? Or manually disabled them in services.msc? also, Disabling the Themes service may speed up dolphin slightly, and another important question is, can you OC your cpu?

I tried OCing my cpu to 3.2 GHz and frame rates did improve a bit, but it was still dipping down to 40-30 fps in character-heavy areas.

With your suggestion, I tried AMD Fusion and OC'd my cpu to 3.4 GHz and performance improved again slightly. Many levels aren't lagging anymore but if there are 3 or more characters on screen, lag kicks in again.
(12-09-2009, 11:15 AM)PashPoot Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2009, 10:22 AM)twilightrose Wrote: [ -> ]

System specs:

2 gb Wintec DDR2-800 ram

I tried OCing my cpu to 3.2 GHz and frame rates did improve a bit, but it was still dipping down to 40-30 fps in character-heavy areas.

With your suggestion, I tried AMD Fusion and OC'd my cpu to 3.4 GHz and performance improved again slightly. Many levels aren't lagging anymore but if there are 3 or more characters on screen, lag kicks in again.

Well, thats good news that the framerate is getting better, keep knocking out those few excess programs(until they are system critical processes)and hope for the best. You could 'try' setting the dolphin process priority to realtime to dedicate the absolute most possible CPU towards it, but, on a dualcore CPU, that will basically force you to hard reset your PC to close dolphin..(as far as i remember)so I don't recommend it unless your absolutly wanting that tiny extra bit...on another note, OCing your CPU to 4Ghz would probobly work out the lag problem completly, but youd want to invest in better cooling system before doing that. Also, have you tried enabling frameskipping? I know it gives a more choppy look and feel, but frameskip 2 or 3 would probobly give you 55-60 ingame
Quote:Well, thats good news that the framerate is getting better, keep knocking out those few excess programs(until they are system critical processes)and hope for the best. You could 'try' setting the dolphin process priority to realtime to dedicate the absolute most possible CPU towards it, but, on a dualcore CPU, that will basically force you to hard reset your PC to close dolphin..(as far as i remember)so I don't recommend it unless your absolutly wanting that tiny extra bit...on another note, OCing your CPU to 4Ghz would probobly work out the lag problem completly, but youd want to invest in better cooling system before doing that. Also, have you tried enabling frameskipping? I know it gives a more choppy look and feel, but frameskip 2 or 3 would probobly give you 55-60 ingame

I haven't really bothered with frameskip, but I'll definitely give it a try. Tongue

Thanks a lot for the help so far.
Hmm, I guess try to kill any processes that are using up your CPU... Oh and 32 bit versions of Dolphin are supposed to be slower than 64 bit versions (source), but I don't know how much since I've always used x64 dolphin builds. If you just happen to have a 64 bit version of Windows lying around, try dual booting and run x64 version of Dolphin on it. Another thing, is your HD 4200 integrated? I used that exact same IGP overclocked and anything above 640x480 with eye candy would cause Dolphin to go below 60fps. But I really don't know what else to say... Your system is plenty fast enough to get 60fps in cube games with D3D9.
I just ran r4525 x86 and I got 30-55fps in melee in a 4 player vs match, slowly working its way up to 55fps where it hit its limit, all graphics settings at their lowest. It also seems like r4460 x64 had a lot more headroom even though it was already running at 60fps from the start... Maybe it is the processor architecture after all...
(12-09-2009, 01:18 PM)a mad pigeon Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, I guess try to kill any processes that are using up your CPU... Oh and 32 bit versions of Dolphin are supposed to be slower than 64 bit versions (source), but I don't know how much since I've always used x64 dolphin builds. If you just happen to have a 64 bit version of Windows lying around, try dual booting and run x64 version of Dolphin on it. Another thing, is your HD 4200 integrated? I used that exact same IGP overclocked and anything above 640x480 with eye candy would cause Dolphin to go below 60fps. But I really don't know what else to say... Your system is plenty fast enough to get 60fps in cube games with D3D9.
I just ran r4525 x86 and I got 30-55fps in melee in a 4 player vs match, slowly working its way up to 55fps where it hit its limit, all graphics settings at their lowest. It also seems like r4460 x64 had a lot more headroom even though it was already running at 60fps from the start... Maybe it is the processor architecture after all...

Hm, good point. Whenever I pick up another stick of ram I might just try Windows 7 64-bit instead.. or maybe I could try Windows XP 64-bit?

My CPU is constantly peaking 99-100% on both cores when running the emulator btw. My HD 4200 is an IGP.

d3t0x

I've got an AMD Athlon II x2 245 Regor core overclocked to 3.77. The processor can't be the problem, it has to be your onboard graphics chip that isn't fast enough. I'd suggest getting a new card, even if it is cheap. I've seen people running dolphin on a geforce 9500/9600GT with decent framerates. I have a 9800GT that can run any game in dolphin up to 1360x768 with antialiasing and such without any slowdowns below 60FPS.
Pages: 1 2