Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: wii emu musing (while having a few beers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok so I've been reading a bit about the whole emu thing, as I find it fascinating.

Anyway while I was having a beer, I was reading about how some emulated versions of games actually look better than they do on their consoles.

I was also reading some other comments from some emulator devs that said that they are not interested in enhancing the games with better graphics and stuff, prefering to keep it more accurate and faithful to the original.

After a few more beers later, and I started to ponder about emulating a wii on a wii.

The way I see that this could be done 2 different ways:
1. via homebrew or somesuch to allow Dolphin to run on a wii OR
2. entirely replacing the BIOS altogether.

Option 1 probably wouldn't work, because the amount of processing power that a wii has would mean that it was unfeasible.

Option 2 on the other hand, is a facinating prospect of actually offering graphical enhancements that are not part of the original wii design.

Anyway, I think its an interesting idea.
lol no because the wii needs that much power just to emulate itself then the time that the interface and the enhancements are made it doesn't have any where nere enough power
So there wouldn't be enough juice left over for the additional changes?
Even if you went the homebrew (hacked) BIOS route, rather than the emulation route?

I mean, it wouldn't be trying to emulate anything...
Im sorry but this thread is just silly...
This is completely impossible - just think about RAM to immediately see why it can't be done, even if you were happy with 1/10th of the speed.
Ok. Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly the first time around.
Yes, emulating a wii on a wii wouldn't be possible AS I ALREADY STATED.

It is the 2nd idea that has merit: Replacing the wii OS with a homebrew OS that operates IDENTICALLY to the wii, but features the graphic enhancements.

I don't think that this would be so unfeasible because you ARE NOT trying to actually emulate the entire device as such. Hence the additional RAM usage would not be as great. Think of it more as a hacked OS which contains the same sort of graphical enhancements as we see in emulator.

Do you still think that there would not be enough RAM left over to do this? Yes/No?
ALL THE RAM IS USED IN PLAYING THE DAMN GAME! NOW CLOSE THIS STUPID THREAD
Good tip for the world at large...

Don't drink and try to have a good idea.
(12-08-2009, 07:33 AM)extreme64 Wrote: [ -> ]ALL THE RAM IS USED IN PLAYING THE DAMN GAME! NOW CLOSE THIS STUPID THREAD

Well thats not the same as what you said the first time around.
You said that all the RAM would be used if trying to emulate the wii in a wii.

Sorry I did not realise that there is not even any RAM left over after trying to run games.

No need to be a cunt about it though.
(12-08-2009, 08:13 AM)Gouken20xx Wrote: [ -> ]Good tip for the world at large...

Don't drink and try to have a good idea.

ditto Tongue I lol'd Big Grin

P.s. to OP:

There is already homebrew wii os's, maybe you should try to talk to their teams about it, see what the think Big Grin..
Pages: 1 2 3