Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unable to run any games without freezing, Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

duskmourn

I've been attempting to play Pokemon Colosseum on Dolphin 5.0-9458 (as the stable 5.0 release gives me horrible performance) and, when using OpenGL as the video backend I'm always greeted with this error upon opening a game "Failed to create shared context for shader compiling", the selected shader doesn't seem to matter at all with this issue either. The game does start after the warning, however, randomly while playing a few minutes in the game freezes. The emulation itself doesn't seem to crash if that makes sense, my FPS just falls to 0 suddenly and Dolphin takes a minute to kill the process.

Sure, OpenGL doesn't work, but how about Vulkan? Well, Vulkan refuses to work at all for me after I installed the Vulkan SDK, at least not in Dolphin. I installed Vulkan using these instructions as there is no Vulkan package in my distro. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/gpu-636

But anyways, even selecting Vulkan for the video backend greets me with "Failed to load Vulkan library". So either I'm doing something wrong, or Dolphin is messing up somewhere.

For reference, I'm running the newest version of the AMDGPU driver (18.1.0), Xorg 1.20.3, and Mesa 18.2.0.
AMDVLK (the open-source vulkan driver) should be shipped as part of mesa.

I'm not sure its a good idea mixing the kernel mainline amdgpu driver (as used by mesa) and the AMD modified version (as used in the binary packages from AMDs website. I am unsure if they guarantee compatibility, and even then it's likely a poorly tested combination.

duskmourn

(01-27-2019, 08:55 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]AMDVLK (the open-source vulkan driver) should be shipped as part of mesa.

I'm not sure its a good idea mixing the kernel mainline amdgpu driver (as used by mesa) and the AMD modified version (as used in the binary packages from AMDs website. I am unsure if they guarantee compatibility, and even then it's likely a poorly tested combination.

I'm not using the AMD modified driver, I just tried to install the Vulkan SDK they linked from their guide, if that's what you're referring too.

And yeah I had no idea Vulkan's supposed to be included in Mesa, I'll have to figure that out

duskmourn

Bump because no answer yet on how to fix the OpenGL error.
It's normally a bad idea to install the vulkan SDK directly on linux - each distro packages things slightly differently, so you should always use the version from your distros package manager - as otherwise it may not be doing what the rest of the distro expectes (different paths, or overwriting conflicting libraries)

So it's likely you'll get more useful answers on your distro's forums or support, as failing to load vulkan is more likely a system issue than a dolphin issue as such.

As for the OpenGL black screen/hang - do you get GPU restarts in the kernel log? If so it might be worth reporting that issue to the Mesa guys (after ensuring it's not already a known issue, and are using the latest mesa/kernel available to make sure it isn't fixed already).

(and it was pointed out that I got the wrong name for the AMD vulkan drivers - "AMDVLK" is the amd-provided versions, while "RADV" are the community ones as shipped in mesa)