Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ryzen 5 setup running unusally slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently running a setup with a Ryzen 5 2600 (currently OC'd to 3.9GHz) with RX 560 4GB and 16GBs of RAM.

Whenever I try to run dolphin (5.0-9287) and play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn I end up with dolphin lagging around 30 to 40 fps with emulation speed being around the 50% to 60% ish area. I can't figure out what's the issue that is slowing down dolphin so much considering the game isn't even among the most demanding. Task manager sidewise, dolphin barely ever hits using 10% of the CPU and GPU usage never goes beyond 9%. Running the CPU in stock speed didn't change much either with the fps remaining roughly the same.

Settings wise, dual core is enabled, I've tried using Vulkan and D3D 11 (both with Synchronous Ubershader and Asynch Ubershader) under native resolution, but even in higher resolution the fps remains the same. Other than that, the settings are Windows build default except I have checked off compile shaders before start and GPU texture decoding.

Any ideas on what to do to get dolphin running better? On youtube I've seen weaker setups get better performance, so I don't know where it went wrong.

I've tried other emulators just to see if it was happening with those too, but it seems the issue is only when running dolphin (cemu ran fine, and rpcs3 was getting 29 to 30 fps on persona 5 which is near full speed).
It just seems weird when this rig is running dolphin slower than my phone (which pushes high 50s to 60fps on the same game).
May need to make sure your power plan is set to max performance. May want to turn off vsync too.
(01-04-2019, 07:26 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]May need to make sure your power plan is set to max performance.  May want to turn off vsync too.

Vsync was off by default, but I checked then unchecked it to make sure. I put the power plan to High Performance as well.

The game is sitting around 35 fps 58% in the File Menu when I tested again, and it falls below that during video cutscenes and gameplay.

I've added pictures of the settings and a picture of dolphin render window during the File Menu (the fps didn't match up the moment I screenshotted it, the 2 fps values are same in general).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17698][Image: attachment.php?aid=17699][Image: attachment.php?aid=17700][Image: attachment.php?aid=17701][Image: attachment.php?aid=17702][Image: attachment.php?aid=17703]

I've added two pictures of the task manager, one showing that the cpu speed set to 3.9 (though it runs between 3.8 to 3.85), and the second picture of the dolphin process while I'm running the game. It barely uses the CPU and the GPU.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17704][Image: attachment.php?aid=17705]
Use Async (Ubershaders) instead. Even at 1X IR, Synchronous Ubershaders usually are VERY taxing on the GPU.
(01-05-2019, 01:44 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Use Async (Ubershaders) instead. Even at 1X IR, Synchronous Ubershaders usually are VERY taxing on the GPU.

I've tried it but it doesn't seem to change the framerate the games runs at all. Skipping EFB access doesn't help too.
Dolphin still uses less than 10% of the cpu during emulation, and for the gpu I'm lucky to see it hit past 5% usage.
(01-04-2019, 05:22 AM)eclipse351 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently running a setup with a Ryzen 5 2600 (currently OC'd to 3.9GHz) with RX 560 4GB and 16GBs of RAM.

Whenever I try to run dolphin (5.0-9287) and play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn I end up with dolphin lagging around 30 to 40 fps with emulation speed being around the 50% to 60% ish area. I can't figure out what's the issue that is slowing down dolphin so much considering the game isn't even among the most demanding. Task manager sidewise, dolphin barely ever hits using 10% of the CPU and GPU usage never goes beyond 9%. Running the CPU in stock speed didn't change much either with the fps remaining roughly the same.

Settings wise, dual core is enabled, I've tried using Vulkan and D3D 11 (both with Synchronous Ubershader and Asynch Ubershader) under native resolution, but even in higher resolution the fps remains the same. Other than that, the settings are Windows build default except I have checked off compile shaders before start and GPU texture decoding.

Any ideas on what to do to get dolphin running better? On youtube I've seen weaker setups get better performance, so I don't know where it went wrong.

I've tried other emulators just to see if it was happening with those too, but it seems the issue is only when running dolphin (cemu ran fine, and rpcs3 was getting 29 to 30 fps on persona 5 which is near full speed).
It just seems weird when this rig is running dolphin slower than my phone (which pushes high 50s to 60fps on the same game).

Hey buddy I'm running a different PC Setup, but also Ryzen CPU, Fire Emblem runs at full speed, not even a single fps shutter.. I Have the PAL version of the game.
May I ask which version you have? Probably doesn't matter at all since no one report version compatibility about this Game Title.. But you never know.. : )

Also Have you try any other 60FPS Game for Example: Super Mario Galaxy, OR Kirby Land, Metroid Other M, DKC?
Have you Notice any Freezing seconds on Other Emulatros like Cemu or RPCS3? Like shuttering for 1 2 seconds?
Also I suggest you to try some Heavy PC game, Like Witcher 3, Lower Setting Preset..

If the game have freezing shutter it may you have Memory Leaks on the RAM. I notice you running Ryzen CPU OC Mode, Your Ram is Overclocked?
IF you are running windows try this on startup>run>mdsched.exe

Do something else Set Backend: OpenGL, V-Sync: Off, Shaders: 1. Synchronous. Compile shaders before starting [OFF].

All other settings default stock Dolphin-Emu native x1 GPU Texture Decoding OFF

: )
(01-10-2019, 12:33 AM)BlackAngel Wrote: [ -> ]Hey buddy I'm running a different PC Setup, but also Ryzen CPU, Fire Emblem runs at full speed, not even a single fps shutter.. I Have the PAL version of the game.
May I ask which version you have? Probably doesn't matter at all since no one report version compatibility about this Game Title.. But you never know.. : )

Also Have you try any other 60FPS Game for Example: Super Mario Galaxy, OR Kirby Land, Metroid Other M, DKC?
Have you Notice any Freezing seconds on Other Emulatros like Cemu or RPCS3? Like shuttering for 1 2 seconds?
Also I suggest you to try some Heavy PC game, Like Witcher 3, Lower Setting Preset..

If the game have freezing shutter it may you have Memory Leaks on the RAM. I notice you running Ryzen CPU OC Mode, Your Ram is Overclocked?
IF you are running windows try this on startup>run>mdsched.exe

Do something else Set Backend: OpenGL, V-Sync: Off, Shaders: 1. Synchronous. Compile shaders before starting [OFF].

All other settings default stock Dolphin-Emu native x1 GPU Texture Decoding OFF

: )
mdsched didn't throw any warnings of memory leaks, fortunately.
In Cemu and RPCS3, there are couple stutterings that occur, but its seems more due to loading in shaders since its inconsistent and generally only happens when I do a new action or enter a new zrea. (Cemu runs BotW in the low 20s, RPCS3 runs Persona 5 at a near flat 30, the frame cap)

Oddly enough, changing the graphics settings to what you posted didn't change the framerate of the emulation at all. You would think when looking at OpenGL vs Vulkan and no Ubershaders vs Ubershaders, you would see some difference in speed.
I haven't tried a different game on dolphin yet, but I'll try Brawl when I get the time.
(01-12-2019, 12:48 AM)eclipse351 Wrote: [ -> ]mdsched didn't throw any warnings of memory leaks, fortunately.
In Cemu and RPCS3, there are couple stutterings that occur, but its seems more due to loading in shaders since its inconsistent and generally only happens when I do a new action or enter a new zrea. (Cemu runs BotW in the low 20s, RPCS3 runs Persona 5 at a near flat 30, the frame cap)

Oddly enough, changing the graphics settings to what you posted didn't change the framerate of the emulation at all. You would think when looking at OpenGL vs Vulkan and no Ubershaders vs Ubershaders, you would see some difference in speed.
I haven't tried a different game on dolphin yet, but I'll try Brawl when I get the time.

I see... no memory problems at all, yeap shuttering inside game emulation with that 2 emulators is classic due to shader compilation..

I mostly suggest you to turn Off Compile Shaders before starting, &  1. Synchronous Shaders cause is Less demand that other options..
In recent test I'v done, sometimes Compile Shaders before starting makes emulation heavy & suffering FPS.. I don't know why, I don't understand since I'm not a Developer
maybe something goes wrong storing shaders..

Your PC Build should perform better with Vulkan-API and DX11-API indeed! Due to multi-thread CPU-GPU communication..
Your Build have enough power to run Anything at full Speed with OpenGL.. Old AMD-CPU Arch-Tech was bad Handling OpenGL but the Ryzen its really good.
At least to my Build, I have run plenty of games OpenGL vs DX11 without unlocked framerate difference are pretty small..

You certainly need to test some other games buddy, you can also read that thread.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...ou-say-hmm
[color=#333333][color=#339933]Helios[/color] [/color]developer explains & clarifying shader performance due to hardware compatibility

I cannot help you further sorry.
(01-12-2019, 11:46 PM)BlackAngel Wrote: [ -> ]I see... no memory problems at all, yeap shuttering inside game emulation with that 2 emulators is classic due to shader compilation..

I mostly suggest you to turn Off Compile Shaders before starting, &  1. Synchronous Shaders cause is Less demand that other options..
In recent test I'v done, sometimes Compile Shaders before starting makes emulation heavy & suffering FPS.. I don't know why, I don't understand since I'm not a Developer
maybe something goes wrong storing shaders..

Your PC Build should perform better with Vulkan-API and DX11-API indeed! Due to multi-thread CPU-GPU communication..
Your Build have enough power to run Anything at full Speed with OpenGL.. Old AMD-CPU Arch-Tech was bad Handling OpenGL but the Ryzen its really good.
At least to my Build, I have run plenty of games OpenGL vs DX11 without unlocked framerate difference are pretty small..

You certainly need to test some other games buddy, you can also read that thread.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...ou-say-hmm
[color=#333333][color=#339933]Helios[/color] [/color]developer explains & clarifying shader performance due to hardware compatibility

I cannot help you further sorry.

Thanks for the help regardless.

I ran Brawl on dolphin with the same exact settings, and behold it runs 60 fps with no trouble!

This is certainly a head scratcher for sure. I'm using a NTSC-U version for the image since there is a mod I want to try and the mod doesn't seem to work with the PAL version.

I wonder if an update to dolphin in the during somewhere in 5.0 range broke compatibility/efficiency for the game on AMD?
So I have tweaking a bit around and was able to get to the 40s in fps.

In addition, changing the dual core settings does not affect the speed of the emulation in any visible way, with the fps range no really changing at all with dual core on or off. Maybe this is the reason? Does dual core option not work with ryzen cpus?
Pages: 1 2