Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super smash bros brawl extreme lag stutters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a good enough system to run this, all other wii games run fine except this one, no idea why. I left all settings on default, didn't work. Then copied settings from here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZrNcJaEPE, did not work. Im at a loss now, I easily surpass requirements to run this, why am I having these issues? if anyone can help please comment and let me know how.

specs
Asus GL702VS
32 gigs of ram
windows 10 home
nvidia geforce gtx 1070 8gb
1 terabyte SSD and 1 terabyte HDD
7700 HQ i7 processor
Cpu speed 2.8 - 3.8ghz
75hz
Gsync
your system may be getting confused on Dolphin's relatively light workload compared to your hardware and is downclocking either the CPU or the GPU.

Also, avoid youtube videos that recommend settings. They're usually wrong. Typically default is fine and you just want to fiddle with internal resolution.
(12-18-2018, 03:26 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]your system may be getting confused on Dolphin's relatively light workload compared to your hardware and is downclocking either the CPU or the GPU.

Also, avoid youtube videos that recommend settings. They're usually wrong. Typically default is fine and you just want to fiddle with internal resolution.

Ok, well I left the settings at default, but the fps keeps dropping every 5 seconds, plus its stuttering, pretty much making it unplayable. On super smash bros brawl is the worse I have, the fps is garbage on it, idk what to put the settings on. default does not do anything. Also I know my cpu isn't the best but if it can run Gta 5 on max settings then dophin shouldn't be giving me problems
(12-18-2018, 03:31 PM)crimsontide Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, well I left the settings at default, but the fps keeps dropping every 5 seconds, plus its stuttering, pretty much making it unplayable. On super smash bros brawl is the worse I have, the fps is garbage on it, idk what to put the settings on. default does not do anything. Also I know my cpu isn't the best but if it can run Gta 5 on max settings then dophin shouldn't be giving me problems

Yes, this CPU should have no issues with SSBB. It's like the power issues mentioned above, or a cooling issue causing throttling. Have you tried changing windows to the "high power" power profile, and ensuring that it's plugged in to test? 

It's likely also worth ensuring that the discrete GPU is actually being used correctly - and then similarly ensuring that is in the high performance mode in the nvidia control panel.
(12-19-2018, 05:28 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this CPU should have no issues with SSBB. It's like the power issues mentioned above, or a cooling issue causing throttling. Have you tried changing windows to the "high power" power profile, and ensuring that it's plugged in to test? 

It's likely also worth ensuring that the discrete GPU is actually being used correctly - and then similarly ensuring that is in the high performance mode in the nvidia control panI left
I left everything on default, but nothing is helping, the game is majorly stuttering. dropping frames every 5 seconds. At this point im probably going to stick to gamecube games, the wii part is just unplayable. Does not make sense.
try to change the graphic engine from OpenGL to direct3d 11
(12-19-2018, 05:28 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this CPU should have no issues with SSBB. It's like the power issues mentioned above, or a cooling issue causing throttling. Have you tried changing windows to the "high power" power profile, and ensuring that it's plugged in to test? 

It's likely also worth ensuring that the discrete GPU is actually being used correctly - and then similarly ensuring that is in the high performance mode in the nvidia control panel.

Tried that, everything is set to max performance and everything. but the game is just a stutter mess. I really want to play this game, but I don't see that happening with all the stutters and lag I am getting.
You never actually replied to what JonnyH said about the power profile.
-Do you have your laptop plugged in to the charger?
-Do you have Windows set to High Performance in the Power Options settings?
-Do you have a profile setup in the NVIDIA Control Panel to use the NVIDIA GPU, and Prefer Maximum Performance for the power option?
(12-19-2018, 12:58 PM)crimsontide Wrote: [ -> ]Tried that, everything is set to max performance and everything. but the game is just a stutter mess. I really want to play this game, but I don't see that happening with all the stutters and lag I am getting.

That's good - I was worried when you said "the defaults", as often the defaults are power-saving focused and interact badly with dolphin.

It may be worth trying to see if the gpu/cpu frequency change at all during gameplay. I believe if the high-power mode is correctly set, the CPU will always be at its top frequency (excluding turbo). Not sure what the nvidia GPU DVFS implementation does.

Other options to try:
- Make sure you have cheats disabled (I believe the current cheat handler can cause stutter)
- Make sure that the "ubershaders" graphics option is set to "asynchronous" - and on nvidia try the directx11 graphics backend (NVidia's OpenGL and vulkan drivers can still stutter a bit with async ubershaders)
(12-20-2018, 03:27 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You never actually replied to what JonnyH said about the power profile.
-Do you have your laptop plugged in to the charger?
-Do you have Windows set to High Performance in the Power Options settings?
-Do you have a profile setup in the NVIDIA Control Panel to use the NVIDIA GPU, and Prefer Maximum Performance for the power option?

I will right now.
Yes the laptop is always plugged in
it is always set to high performance
and yes it is using my nvidia gpu
and yes it is set to max performance
(12-20-2018, 04:58 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]That's good - I was worried when you said "the defaults", as often the defaults are power-saving focused and interact badly with dolphin.

It may be worth trying to see if the gpu/cpu frequency change at all during gameplay. I believe if the high-power mode is correctly set, the CPU will always be at its top frequency (excluding turbo). Not sure what the nvidia GPU DVFS implementation does.

Other options to try:
- Make sure you have cheats disabled (I believe the current cheat handler can cause stutter)
- Make sure that the "ubershaders" graphics option is set to "asynchronous" - and on nvidia try the directx11 graphics backend (NVidia's OpenGL and vulkan drivers can still stutter a bit with async ubershaders)

When I said "defaults" I mean I left everything in the dolphin settings to what they were. except trying direct3d11 and direct3d 12, none of those made a difference
(12-20-2018, 04:58 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]That's good - I was worried when you said "the defaults", as often the defaults are power-saving focused and interact badly with dolphin.

Other options to try:

cheats are disabled made no difference, and the computer has been set to high mode for a while. I just set them to "asynchronous" I think it made it worse, its still stuttering every 3-4 seconds, which causes the game to hitch or "pause" for about a second, this game is unplayable at this point, no way you can play a game that pauses every 3 seconds.

Other options to try:

The moderators aren't approving some of my posts, don't know why im not cursing or making threats or anything like that, but whatever. I did respond to everyone in here, not my fault if the moderators aren't approving it. But back to dolphin, I tried opengl, direct3d11, and vulkan, none made any impact on improvement. the game is still stuttering and has one second pauses every 3 seconds. SSBB is unplayable at this point for me. If im unable to solve this im probably just going to uninstall it, and go back to project 64
Pages: 1 2