Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Vulkan more accurate than DirectX 11?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been told before that OpenGL is slightly more accurate for certain edge cases than DirectX 11, but I'm stuck with DirectX 11 since I have an Nvidia GPU and want to use Ubershaders (presumably they're still broken on other backends).

I have been wondering, though, if Vulkan's accuracy is closer to OpenGL than DirextX 11 is. Are there any visual effects or GPU timings that work better on Vulkan/OpenGL than on DirectX 11?
I believe that in dolphin, all backend have *exactly* the same accuracy. There may be small differences in speed or driver quality (like the Intel GPU tends to work much better in DX11 mode than OpenGL on windows), but they should all produce exactly the same image (assuming they all expose the same extensions, which isn't always guaranteed even on the same hardware).
OpenGL has better depth emulation than the others.
What's this about Ubershaders only working on DX11 with Nvidia GPUs?
(12-11-2018, 04:17 PM)Megapsychotron Wrote: [ -> ]What's this about Ubershaders only working on DX11 with Nvidia GPUs?

Ubershaders in themselves work on all backends with Nvidia GPUs. It's just that some of them can't do asynchronous shader compilation without stuttering, which is a problem, but a performance problem rather than an accuracy problem.
(12-11-2018, 04:57 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Ubershaders in themselves work on all backends with Nvidia GPUs. It's just that some of them can't do asynchronous shader compilation without stuttering, which is a problem, but a performance problem rather than an accuracy problem.

Does it work better with DX11 then in those cases. I have a GTX 970 and generally use Vulkan without problems, but in some cases I've noticed slowdown and stuttering, even in games that I didn't have issues before (Super Mario Strikers, for example). I update to the latest build everytime I use Dolphin.
(12-13-2018, 05:43 PM)Megapsychotron Wrote: [ -> ]Does it work better with DX11 then in those cases. I have a GTX 970 and generally use Vulkan without problems, but in some cases I've noticed slowdown and stuttering, even in games that I didn't have issues before (Super Mario Strikers, for example). I update to the latest build everytime I use Dolphin.

I have an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU and, although OGL is the fastest in my system, D3D still works better because it is less prone to cache compilation stutters, even with asynchronous compilation.  Most games run at least twice as fast as they need to anyway so D3D is my choice.
(12-05-2018, 01:50 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]I've been told before that OpenGL is slightly more accurate for certain edge cases than DirectX 11, but I'm stuck with DirectX 11 since I have an Nvidia GPU and want to use Ubershaders (presumably they're still broken on other backends).

I have been wondering, though, if Vulkan's accuracy is closer to OpenGL than DirextX 11 is. Are there any visual effects or GPU timings that work better on Vulkan/OpenGL than on DirectX 11?

Well, as far as I know, Vulkan overall is the best API, due to it's abilities to access the hardware more directly. AMD's drivers are also way better optimized for Vulkan than OGL, and DX11 performs OK. For Nvidia, I would try Vulkan first, then OGL, then DX11 if I was testing for performance, since Vulkan is newer, there may be some regressions, and DX usually has the most overall problems with dolphin. OGL works great on Nvidia, but it's old. 
(12-15-2018, 03:34 AM)Legoboy0109 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, as far as I know, Vulkan overall is the best API, due to it's abilities to access the hardware more directly.

No. That's what tech news sites have been parroting to users.

Quote: AMD's drivers are also way better optimized for Vulkan than OGL

Yes. They essentially wrote Vulkan by handing off Mantle to Khronos.

Quote:And DX11 performs OK 

D3D11 works well on AMD.

Quote:and DX usually has the most overall problems with dolphin. OGL works great on Nvidia, but it's old.

And again, no.

D3D11 is fine. OGL is our most mature and well tested backend. It's not deprecated because it's "old"
(12-15-2018, 04:37 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]No. That's what tech news sites have been parroting to users.

Yes. They essentially wrote Vulkan by handing off Mantle to Khronos.

D3D11 works well on AMD.

And again, no.

D3D11 is fine. OGL is our most mature and well tested backend. It's not deprecated because it's "old"

I wasn't saying OpenGL was bad, I was just saying it doesn't receive nearly as much driver support due to being an old API. Vulkan is currently the main API being integrated into PC gaming, due to the fact of just being a better overall API for many reasons. DX12 is also similar, but unique in its own ways, and only compatible with Windows 10, so it's mostly used only with mainstream titles that are windows only (also removed from dolphin a while back). I only said DX11 was my least preferred out of the options, due to having API unique bugs with some games in my library (Zelda: CE for instance, fixable with exclusive ubershaders, which is not feasible for everyone) Vulkan is not perfect, but is my preferred API, mostly due to working well regardless of having AMD or Nvidia, and not having very many unique bugs. 
Pages: 1 2