Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GeForce GT 240 or 9800GT?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which one should I get?

1. GeForce GT 240
-128 bit
-512MB GDDR5 Memory
-96 Steam Processors

OR

2. GeForce 9800GT
-256 bit
-512MB GDDR3 Memory
-112 Steam Processors

I don't want to spend over $100 and I don't need a high end GPU. Also, my PSU doesn't have any PCI-E power connectors.

I would get a 9800GT but I need to hear from you guys first. For starters, my power supply is pretty weak at 385w maximum with two 12v rails both at 14A. Also, I've calculated that my processor is using about 130w with the overclock. Right now I'm currently running a weak 9400GT. I have heard that the GT 240 is supposed to be power efficient, using only 69w (don't know if it's idle or full load), and that the 9800GT is kind of power hungry. They seem to have similar performance, with the GT 240 being a little weaker. The 240 and 9400GT both say they need a 300w+ PSU and 18A to function full speed and the 9800GT needs a 400w+ PSU and 24A.

I'm thinking I should get the GT 240 simply because it uses less power, its requirements are similar to the 9400GT, and it had GDDR5. Also, on various forums, they suggest that the GDDR5 uses less power than GDDR3 and that it nearly doubles GDDR3 in theoretical bandwidth, rendering it similar to a 256-bit.

So what do you think would be best for me? Or do you want to suggest a good ATI card? Smile
Ick, ATI. We don't use that word in our house, son.

I'd go for the 240.
got with the 9800 it's much better and the 256 bit interface easily makes up for only using GDDR3
(12-04-2009, 12:27 PM)FlotsamX Wrote: [ -> ]Ick, ATI. We don't use that word in our house, son.

I'd go for the 240.

your a idiot. ATI has an amazing performance/price and is currently the market leader because they always release products with new features first. They also have great driver support that is updated monthly.
(12-04-2009, 12:20 PM)Apostacious Wrote: [ -> ]get your self an ATI Big Grin Ima get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-14150447

One problem: The price!

I was looking at some ATI cards and the closest one I could find was a 4670, but it has worse performance than a GT 240.
(12-04-2009, 12:36 PM)extreme64 Wrote: [ -> ]got with the 9800 it's much better and the 256 bit interface easily makes up for only using GDDR3
(12-04-2009, 12:27 PM)FlotsamX Wrote: [ -> ]Ick, ATI. We don't use that word in our house, son.

I'd go for the 240.

your a idiot. ATI has an amazing performance/price and is currently the market leader because they always release products with new features first. They also have great driver support that is updated monthly.

It's "you're an idiot."

Ahem.
(12-04-2009, 12:36 PM)extreme64 Wrote: [ -> ]got with the 9800 it's much better and the 256 bit interface easily makes up for only using GDDR3

I'd go for the 240.

QFA: ATI rules, nvidia drools, period.

And yes the price is way to high at the moment but it'll come down. i just said I was gonna get it Smile which i am, thats the reason that i bough a 4850. good enough to wait for a good dx11 card.

(i bought the xfx 4850 for 100 bucks at newegg in a special)
A Tom's Hardware review of the GT 240 shows it has good performance compared to the others for a budget card. I couldn't really find a decent ATI card around the same price range that matched up to it. But I know ATI makes good cards... And will I really need DX11?
(12-04-2009, 02:07 PM)a mad pigeon Wrote: [ -> ]A Tom's Hardware review of the GT 240 shows it has good performance compared to the others for a budget card. I couldn't really find a decent ATI card around the same price range that matched up to it. But I know ATI makes good cards... And will I really need DX11?

not for another 6 months at least.

But i do, Im developing a game engine for an indie game of mine.
Meh, I'll wait on DX11. The only reason I'm picking out worse graphics cards is because I don't have any PCI-E connectors Confused and that means I'd have to buy a new PSU... so.... yeah. Also trying to save up for a new bass guitar so I guess I'll stay with the low profile graphic cards.
Pages: 1 2 3