Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Conditional EFB scaling to fix bloom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Going to upload the EFB Slider build - check first post. If anyone wants to use it on games with issues and report what values are good, that'd help. You probably want the slider as far left as possible without issues appearing.
Did you ever get the code working? As far as I know, your gecko codes seem to work without any issues but you said in your pull request that it affected efb copies that shouldn't be touched.
The PR request for the backend EFB slider change can affect other stuff on some games. I think it works fine for Xenoblade. My problem was I didn't have many games to test it on.

I was also wondering if I could detect efb copies made with offsets and use that as the conditional scaling, but couldn't figure out how. Someone seemed to be working on backend changes in that area, so I put that idea on hold.

Right now I was going to bundle it with my next WIP Debugger build and go from there, but there's been some minor bugs I couldn't find easily, so it's a bit stalled.
Stenzek did a really big rewrite to videocommon since that pull request, so it'll probably need to be rebased at the very least. I personally like the change as something to look at, but, I think it may be something better suited to an INI option for games so that users are never aware of it existing.
One question: do these codes simply disable bloom or are there games where the effect can be restored?
For example, I like using the code on MKW because it reduces or eliminates ghosting but the bloom effect is effectively gone (it's gone too without it, though).
Fixing bloom for MKW causes other, worse, visual bugs. It's because the bloom effect isn't isolated so messing with it screws up other things I guess.

Xenoblade should restore it without much issue (maybe slight brightness changes).
HOTD Overkill looks to be restored correctly.
Twilight Princess (GC) had very little testing, but is meant to restore the bloom.
I went back through MKW with a custom build that counts EFB copies and conditionally excludes various combinations from being scaled. I was hoping to find a combination that worked better than the EFB exclusion slider. I did see that I only had to exclude a single EFB copy to fix bloom, and doing so reduced an unwanted shimmer effect that happens with the EFB exclusion slider.

Not sure if I can make a custom MKW code to prevent the single efb copy from being scaled. I also don't think there's a proper way to change the dolphin code to exclude it... having to count efb copies and use the game's ini to select which one to exclude seems like a bit much.

On some levels the efb exclusion slider works just fine. So it's not that bad to use overall.
Thanks for your continued dedication. Where is this slider? Is it only in you custom build? I've been using just the code.
I attached a custom build in the first post. You can give it a try and tell me how you think it looks. Set it to 160 for MKW. Mario Circuit was one level that had an annoying shimmer.
(03-24-2019, 12:43 AM)One More Try Wrote: [ -> ]I attached a custom build in the first post.  You can give it a try and tell me how you think it looks. Set it to 160 for MKW.  Mario Circuit was one level that had an annoying shimmer.

I gave it a try last night with 160 as the slider value, but it is worse than using your code.  The issue seems most obvious on Mushroom Gorge.  With the code, the ghosting is greatly reduced, but you can see some strange shimmering over the mushrooms and, of course, there is not actual bloom.  With the slider build, that shimmering extends to almost the whole screen on several areas of that track.

Bloom is one of those final frontiers in Wii emulation.  People have managed to find work-arounds for most other incompatibilities with high resolution rendering of the original material.  Luckily, you've had good success with some games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7