Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this surface laptop run Dolphin well?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface...B0713X4DKY

What do you guys think? Is there also a big performance difference between i5 or i7?

Mainly asking with respect to GCN games in 720. Thanks.
The i7-7660U has much better single threaded performance versus the i5-7200U.... but in all honesty unless you have a gun to your head forcing you to buy the Surface laptop, don't buy a surface laptop (if you do have a gun to your head I would still probably recommend against it.)

For that kind of money there are better thin and light laptops like a razer blade 14 with a 7700HQ and 1060 under the hood (if that is too big\heavy or too hard to find in your area)
The razer stealth now uses the i7-8550U which is just better then the i7-7660U and is around $800 less when similarly equipped (it also saves you the $50 you would have to pay to get rid of windows 10S which dolphin does not run on)
(06-11-2018, 03:33 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]The i7-7660U has much better single threaded performance versus the i5-7200U.... but in all honesty unless you have a gun to your head forcing you to buy the Surface laptop, don't buy a surface laptop (if you do have a gun to your head I would still probably recommend against it.)

For that kind of money there are better thin and light laptops like a razer blade 14 with a 7700HQ and 1060 under the hood (if that is too big\heavy or too hard to find in your area)
The razer stealth now uses the i7-8550U which is just better then the i7-7660U and is around $800 less when similarly equipped (it also saves you the $50 you would have to pay to get rid of windows 10S which dolphin does not run on)

I thought as much. Can you link to the particular model you are talking about if you don't mind? It's safe to assume this could run all GCN and Wii games at 1080p? 
https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/raz...de-stealth this is the stealth that is just cheaper and overall a little better
The 14" is getting harder to find but razer is currently replacing their lineup so maybe a new version is coming.

There are also other vendors that make laptops with good CPUs and discrete graphics for $1,800 or less depending on what you want I can give more tailored recommendations.
(06-12-2018, 12:01 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/raz...de-stealth  this is the stealth that is just cheaper and overall a little better
The 14" is getting harder to find but razer is currently replacing their lineup so maybe a new version is coming.

There are also other vendors that make laptops with good CPUs and discrete graphics for $1,800 or less depending on what you want I can give more tailored recommendations.

Will definitely look into the razor. One of the main things I am interested in is a laptop that can rub dolphin smoothly at 1080p. What other recommendations can you give that fit this bill? Thanks. 
(06-12-2018, 05:50 PM)Prototype50 Wrote: [ -> ]Will definitely look into the razor. One of the main things I am interested in is a laptop that can rub dolphin smoothly at 1080p. What other recommendations can you give that fit this bill? Thanks. 

Basically make sure to get a non-ultra low voltage 4th gen i5 CPU with 4GB of Dual Channel RAM and a GTX750ti GPU inside a roomy case with separate heatsinks and you should be good to go.

My 5 year old laptop with a i7 4800MQ, 16GB of ram and a GTX870 6GB runs basically every game without any issue (Except the StarWars games).
(06-12-2018, 11:11 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Basically make sure to get a non-ultra low voltage 4th gen i5 CPU with 4GB of Dual Channel RAM and a GTX750ti GPU inside a roomy case with separate heatsinks and you should be good to go.

My 5 year old laptop with a i7 4800MQ, 16GB of ram and a GTX870 6GB runs basically every game without any issue (Except the StarWars games).

For $1800 as max budget he can do a lot better than 5 year old laptop. For that money getting a 45W TDP i7 kaby lake or coffee lake is completely doable.
Asus ROG Ryzen 1700 RX580 17" - for the AMD fans (just remember to use Vulkan or DirectX11 backends with AMD graphics)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GBJCNC/ref...nkCode=asn

Dell Inspiron 7700HQ GTX 1050 15.6" - one of the least expensive choices with this level of performance
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Gam...659&sr=1-9

Here are 2 options these levels of specs should generally handle dolphin well at 1080p though there are lots of other choices depending what you like in size weight and other factors.
It kinda depends on what you want - the two TKSilver linked would likely be pretty fast, but in a different class for form factor/weight/battery life. This thread seems to be veering wildly between small ultrabooks and massive "desktop replacement" gamer laptops.
(06-13-2018, 01:49 AM)Nintonito Wrote: [ -> ]For $1800 as max budget he can do a lot better than 5 year old laptop.  For that money getting a 45W TDP i7 kaby lake or coffee lake is completely doable.

He never explicitly said he has $1800 to spend, then he asked what other recommendations we could give to run games at 1080p, so I gave him a relatively cheap option that will run most games perfectly at 1080p.
Pages: 1 2