Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: System Freeze when Playing Twilight Princess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
No idea why this is happening, but whenever I start the game, and go to the area with the spring. My entire system locks up, meaning I have to forcefully restart my computer.
This happens with both Vulkan and OpenGL modes.

GPU: RX 480
Driver: Mesa 18.1.0
Dolphin Version: 5.0-7741

Any help would be appreciated.
Have you checked the MD5 sum of the game to verify its a good dump?
(05-26-2018, 02:28 PM)charadon Wrote: [ -> ]No idea why this is happening, but whenever I start the game, and go to the area with the spring. My entire system locks up, meaning I have to forcefully restart my computer.
This happens with both Vulkan and OpenGL modes.

GPU: RX 480
Driver: Mesa 18.1.0
Dolphin Version: 5.0-7741

Any help would be appreciated.

What are your CPU and GPU temps at time of freeze? What CPU are you actually using?
MD5 sum checks out.

And I use a Ryzen 5 1600X, the cpu temp was normal (I have the CPU temp showing at all times on my xfce panel), plus if it was an overheat issue my computer would just flat out shutdown.

I also decided to (painfully) use software renderer to see if it still freezes my system when I try to go to the area with the spring, and it didn't crash. So it has something to do with either the emulator itself or the mesa drivers.
I read the rules to see if double posting was allowed, didn't see anything about it so. So I think i'm in the clear.

I borrowed the EU version of twilight princess from a friend. We checked the md5, and it checked out. It still freezes the system in the exact same spot. I'd test it on windows, but I don't have a copy of it on hand. I also tried wind waker, and got pretty far into it without system freezes (It didn't freeze the system at all actually). So its definately a twilight princess only issue.
Dolphin being able to freeze your computer sounds like a driver issue to me.
Oh yeah definately, I have a ubuntu minimal dual-boot for amdgpu-pro (some games don't run due to lack of legacy opengl support in mesa), I'll try it on that and see if it freezes.
Absolutely a driver issue. Especially because while I love Arch, I have had a few mesa updates screw my intel GPU.
The drivers work perfectly on everything else though. And why does it crash at the spring? Why not when the first 3D graphics are rendered? What is it about that spring that crashes the system? I have no idea, all i know is that this only happens with twilight princess.
Tried dolphin-emu using the amdgpu-pro drivers. Worked perfectly (even ran slightly better) But dual-booting into my amdpro distro is a last resort thing, and i'd rather use my main distro.
Pages: 1 2