Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will AMD FX-8300 and AMD RX560 be enough to run GameCube and Wii games smoothly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My current system's specification is

CPU : AMD FX-8300
RAM : 32GB
GPU : AMD HD6450

HD6450 is an ancient GPU that is no good for gaming.

If I replaced HD6450 with AMD RX560 2GB, would I be able to run every GameCube and Wii game on dolphin smoothly?

Or, should I wait a bit longer and build a new PC?
Every single game? Not really. Build a new PC instead.
(03-20-2018, 08:22 PM)MikroTik Wrote: [ -> ]My current system's specification is

CPU : AMD FX-8300
RAM : 32GB
GPU : AMD HD6450

HD6450 is an ancient GPU that is no good for gaming.

If I replaced HD6450 with AMD RX560 2GB, would I be able to run every GameCube and Wii game on dolphin smoothly?

Or, should I wait a bit longer and build a new PC?

Absolutely not every game, because there are still games out there that run slow on the latest and greatest machines.

Most importantly:
Use Vulkan or D3D not OpenGL for your graphics back-end... OpenGL is notoriously slow on AMD GPU's

For CPU it doesn't really matter how many cores you have since Dolphin only uses 2 cores maximum. More important is the Single Thread Perfomance or STP and this is what mostly affects the speed in Dolphin or any Emulator. AMD processors are also known in the community for having a low STP compared to Intel on the same generation, this has somewhat been solved by the Zen architecture in the latest AMD Ryzen CPU's. Having said this... The CPU is probably strong enough to run most games quite smoothly.
(03-21-2018, 01:34 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use

It seems I should wait for a few more years until dolphin is more optimized. If the last story was compiled as a native linux binary, FX-8300 and HD6450 should be more than powerful enough to run the game.

After watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9_UibrHVw, I'm not sure if AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and AMD RX 580 will be enough to run the last story at full speed.

Will my current hardwares be enough to run GameCube games at full speed?
Dolphin is plenty optimized in the x86-64 JIT. I guess you haven't actually looked at the code huh. You're running a CPU that was based off AMD's god awful Bulldozer / Vishera arch. One of AMD's worst designs ever for single threaded perf, which any emulator needs.

Last Story is also one of the most demanding titles to run in Dolphin, so much so that it even lags significantly on a real Wii.

most Ryzen CPUs are fine (Disclaimer, on the latest development build). Your HD 6450 is also fine on Direct3D or Vulkan backend. Just get rid of the FX-8300 or overclock it to the moon if you want any reasonable performance in Last Story.

GC games are no less demanding than Wii games for the most part. GC and Wii is mostly the same hardware with some small clock speed differences (Which is mostly irrelevant because we emulate an infinitely fast GPU). So it all depends on how the game works and what it does that determines how much it taxes your CPU.
(03-21-2018, 08:51 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you haven't actually looked at the code huh. You're running a CPU that was based off AMD's god awful Bulldozer / Vishera arch. One of AMD's worst designs ever for single threaded perf, which any emulator needs.

1. Most people who play game are not developers or don't have enough knowledge or time to assess the level of optimization in an emulator. I merely compared performance of linux games to that of GameCube/Wii games on a computer, Is it possible to parallelize dolphin?

2. I bought FX-8300 as a server CPU for ECC RAMs in a hurry, but my desktop died due to my mistakes. So, I ended up using my server as a desktop. I'll have to wait a while to figure out my real performance requirements and have enough money for a new PC. I recently started gaming, and my current PC is not optimized for gaming.
Parallelizing Dolphin won´t really benefit it, if it won´t make it slower.
Quote:Is it possible to parallelize dolphin?

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#couldn...-go-faster
Quote:If I replaced HD6450 with AMD RX560 2GB, would I be able to run every GameCube and Wii game on dolphin smoothly?
At a time like this ?
Aren't GPU and Ram too expensive right now ? like 2x or even triple the original price

But since your FX 8300 is very outdated , you might consider getting a Ryzen APU instead
According to benchmark , Ryzen R5 2400G iGPU is 941% faster than your current GPU
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD...440vsm7821
Ryzen APU R5 2400G is also 50% faster than your current FX 8300 in multithread bench and up to 80% faster than FX 8300 in single thread bench

Dolphin is a dual core (triple core in some cases) . So R5 2400G is going to be way faster than your current CPU , its single thread performance is on par with Haswell i7 4770k
Pages: 1 2 3