Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: So I created account just to ask about new mario bros on dolphin on mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently or yesterday decided to give dolphin a try again (I have a wii but no tv currently and an imac i use for a tv and gaming ith bootcamp as well as a macbookair and ipad) and booted up new super mario bros on my macbook air (2013) with the latest dolphin. and low and behold it worked fanelously. super fast as i had texture isntead of ram (ebm) but low and behold the only issue and this is a huge issue in a game like new mario bros, is i see no coins or blocks. and please dont tell me to make my macbookair into a slow turtle and not enjoyable in new mario bros by changing the option from ebm to texture tor am as that is just unacceptable in the emulator thst was updated for ages and years since i used it. if it works so flawelessly wnd brilliantly why cant they jwut fix this one issue with coins and blocks dissapewring? thats all i ask and id be playing amrio all day on the go in coffee shops and such. I mean literwlly its just blocks and coins how hard can it be? werent they updating this for years. Besides this the emu actually runs and looks better thsn the ds emu i run the ds new mario bros on. i just wish guys i wish...
(03-06-2018, 10:23 PM)Szczelec33 Wrote: [ -> ]please dont tell me to make my macbookair into a slow turtle and not enjoyable in new mario bros by changing the option from ebm to texture tor am

[Image: artworks-000158672079-0gbvsi-t500x500.jpg]

Seriously, afaik this is the only way to correctly render coins.
If there's a way to make it work on texture, be sure devs would have investigated it as it's a common complaint.
(03-06-2018, 10:23 PM)Szczelec33 Wrote: [ -> ]with the latest dolphin

I highly doubt so. This issue was fixed *years* ago.

Hint: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/07/01/...-by-mimimi
Oh, my bad, missed that.
Can you post a screenshot of the issue? Best would be one screenshot with efb copies to texture only on and one screenshot with it off. Which version are you using exactly? From your description i'm not sure what's going on. Is your graphics driver updated to the latest version?

(03-06-2018, 11:46 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I highly doubt so. This issue was fixed *years* ago.

Before partial texture updates, the coins and blocks were not animated. I'm not 100% sure about the coins, but the blocks should be visible on all versions since Dolphin 4.x . If the coins and blocks are indeed invisible, the efb copies might be rendered transparent or the partial updates code is causing the issue.
(03-06-2018, 11:46 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I highly doubt so. This issue was fixed *years* ago.

How do I enable the partial ebm to textures or whatever the solution is? the article only mentions a work in profress...
I am using Dolphin 5.0-6384
Oh and I use OpenGL if that makes a diff as Mac doesnt support direct3d but have a bootcamped windows 7 at home on my iMac so I can try d3d if that makes a diff (It would be nice to play mario on my mac air though on the go). Here is a screen:
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_07_at_11_42_50_AM.png]

As you can see I see everything else besides coins and blocks and the blocks appear once mario hits them which means they are there and recognized but for gameplay purposes I cant play liuke this.
See the thing is guys I am very frustrated as Ive been playing with every possible option or hack while having that checkmark enabled on store efb copies to texture only and nothing works. This checkmark also makes all the diff in the world in terms of speed. How do I go about having it still checked and messing with what other options or downloading what texture packs to make this work? I really need to be able to play new mario bros on my mac air with descent speed and seeing hit boxes. I need that in my life right now guys as I am in a very vulnerable state.
(03-07-2018, 09:01 PM)Szczelec33 Wrote: [ -> ]See the thing is guys I am very frustrated as Ive been playing with every possible option or hack while having that checkmark enabled on store efb copies to texture only and nothing works. This checkmark also makes all the diff in the world in terms of speed. How do I go about having it still checked and messing with what other options or downloading what texture packs to make this work? I really need to be able to play new mario bros on my mac air with descent speed and seeing hit boxes. I need that in my life right now guys as I am in a very vulnerable state.

It might be useful for us to know the exact version of the i5 in your Mac air because there are 8 generations (first gen is like 50% slower than the newest one)

Maybe something is wrong with the shader cache.

1. Make 100% sure you are on the latest development version of Dolphin.
2. Try and delete or rename the whole "Dolphin" directory in /Users/"yourusername"/Library/Application Support/ (this is to return everything back to default settings and will also delete your shader cache AND savegames so be careful if you are going for the delete option)
3. Start Dolphin
4. Don't touch anything to change graphics settings (Dolphin is set up to run at the fastest speed possible without breaking the game by default) and only change the controller buttons if you need to
5. Start the game and see if the issue is solved

Still slow? Then your MacAir is really too slow to run the game, nothing we can do about it, remember: MacAirs are created to be ultra portable and last forever on a battery... not to play games on or do any other demanding tasks (even though they do work but SLOW) also OSX drivers are notoriously slow and broken in OpenGL since they don't update OpenGL anymore (and thus you are stuck on an older version of OpenGL) and instead went over to Metal, for which a back-end doesn't exist yet in Dolphin. Recently someone took it upon himself to try and create a Metal back-end (again) but it is far from ready as of now.

Still missing coins and blocks? It might be useful to create a bug report for that in the Issue tracker (all the way down on the download page, fill in EVERYTHING that is asked)
Pages: 1 2 3