Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Controller Config: C-Stick jitter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using an X-Box 360 for PC controller with Dolphin x64 v5.0-6406.

This isuue has plagued me since my first use of Dolphin around 8 years ago and on various PC's, also with a different controller by MadCatz.

Essentially, any game requiring aiming of a weapon using the C-Stick is very difficult. But still playable. I hoped this would get fixed but may have been overlooked or something.
My son was playing Lego Batman 2 though, and it has become impossible to pass the level where Superman has to use his laser vision to destroy some kind of flying vessel.
I'm afraid I can't give any further info regarding level as I don't know the game well enough.
The reason is that when you try to use the C-Stick to aim, the cursor just jumps all over the screen, no matter how gentle, slow and precise your movements it just will not obey!

This has prompted me into taking action to find out if it is simply a settings issue or a fault of Dolphin's.
I attempted to change the C-Stick settings to reduce the range (15) and dead zone (10) which has calmed the problem a bit but still doesn't make games very easy to play. So many games use this method to control a weapon that it is quite a big issue. Is this just me or do others have this problem too?

I'd be very grateful if this could be solved!
Thanks for your help
I just checked and that's a Wii game... so you're controlling the IR (pointer) with a stick. Yeah that's going to be painful.

What we need to do is implement the pointer like the Wii does when using the classic controller on the system menu. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it now or not, but, I do know it's been requested before.
(03-03-2018, 08:37 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]What we need to do is implement the pointer like the Wii does when using the classic controller on the system menu. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it now or not, but, I do know it's been requested before.

Isn't that what the Relative Input setting does?
I guess? I'm not too privy on emulated Wii Remote stuff.
Sorry, yeah, shoulda said it's a Wii game!
What is the relative input setting? I can't find that!
Has it been removed or renamed?

Thanks
It's in the middle of the IR column.
Sorry, I'm a dope! was trying to configure using GC config!!! Right, found it.
I have tamed the cursor but it is still continuously moving, is that right?
Center: 20
Width :15
Height: 30
Dead Zone: 0

I understand what Dead Zone is, but what do the other parameters do? Anyone know? I couldn't find any descriptions, the manual is rather minimal.
Width and Height seem to slow down the cursor by reducing sensitivity of stick movement.
Don't have a clue what Center is.

But it would be better if moving the cursor was like older games. Move it and it stays there at the position when you stop moving the stick. Is this compatibility issue?

Thanks
(03-03-2018, 10:07 PM)sl23 Wrote: [ -> ]Center: 20
Width :15
Height: 30
Dead Zone: 0

I understand what Dead Zone is, but what do the other parameters do? Anyone know? I couldn't find any descriptions, the manual is rather minimal.
Width and Height seem to slow down the cursor by reducing sensitivity of stick movement.
Don't have a clue what Center is.

Width and Height configure how large the area that you can point at is, and Center configures where the center of that area is. (I've forgotten if Center goes horizontally or vertically, but I guess vertically would make the most sense...) The values you have set for them right now seem pretty low.

(03-03-2018, 10:07 PM)sl23 Wrote: [ -> ]But it would be better if moving the cursor was like older games. Move it and it stays there at the position when you stop moving the stick.

That's what should happen if you enable Relative Input.
I'm assuming that his stick sits outside a deadzone of zero when at rest, so isn't staying still. Turning up the deadzone will help if so.
You see those descriptions make sense to me but that is definitely not how they work, least for me!

W and H don't restrict where the cursor goes, they reduce the sensitivity of the C-Stick movements.
When W and H are high value then small Stick movements are required to move the cursor, but this is hard to control.
Low values of W and H make for easier control by using full range of C-stick movement.

C does seem to have any effect that I can notice. Low or high values do not change where the cursor rests. It always returns to bottom left of the screen.

DZ does work but set it above zero and it makes the cursor erratic when moving it. The reason being that when trying to make small movements it borders on the DZ and keeps flitting between bottom left and the position the stick is at. Hence I set it to zero. But I do require this to be higher as my stick doesn't sit centrally. This causes slow unwanted directional movements depending where the stick rests. Normally this is left or right.

Either way, no matter how I set these values, I cannot achieve the required function. The cursor moves back to bottom left regardless of values when stick is at rest. Certain values make it rest at bottom right. Is that normal behaviour? I suppose it should be to avoid it getting in the way when at rest.
But the cursor never functions as I'd expect:
move Stick=move cursor.
let go of stick=cursor rests at that position.

Relative Input is ticked and has helped tame the erratic behaviour.

Thanks for your guidance.