Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 5.0 6282, 6284, 6288
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
evdev: Minor fixes (PR #6357 from leoetlino)

Do not link to libusbhid on FreeBSD/NetBSD

Add -Wno-register to calm down clang 6.0.0 (C++17 mode) (PR #6355 from myfreeweb)

is this update gonna speed up dolphin??

i also notice that dev number versions is every other number, why is that??
(02-08-2018, 04:49 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]evdev: Minor fixes (PR #6357 from leoetlino)

Add -Wno-register to calm down clang 6.0.0 (C++17 mode) (PR #6355 from myfreeweb)

i also notice that dev number versions is every other number, why is that??

No, it won't speed up Dolphin.... do you want to know what will speed up Dolphin for you?
(02-08-2018, 04:49 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]evdev: Minor fixes (PR #6357 from leoetlino)

No.

(02-08-2018, 04:49 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]i also notice that dev number versions is every other number, why is that??

Each time a pull request is merged, a merge commit is made. So if someone makes a pull request with one commit (which of course is the minimal amount of commits), the version number will increase by two, since both the commit in the pull request and the commit that merged the pull request will be added. But it's also possible to have more than one commit in a pull request, which makes the number increase by more than two.
(02-08-2018, 05:04 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]No, it won't speed up Dolphin.... do you want to know what will speed up Dolphin for you?

download the latest version of dolphin?
(02-08-2018, 06:02 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]download the latest version of dolphin?

No, get a computer with a faster CPU and GPU

chumpz Wrote:Speed up emulator for all systems, not just on high end pc

The problem here is that there is a baseline at which games HAVE to run: 60/30FPS or 50/25fps.
We are not just making the game playable. We are making your computer pretend to be a Gamecube or a Wii... The Gamecube/Wii is build on a CPU that has a set of instructions made by IBM, this set of instructions is called PowerPC. PC's/Computers have a set of instructions called x86_64 these instructions are completely different. So what we need to do is translate these instructions with a translator. but where on the PowerPC instruction A might take just 1 instruction to do something you might need 100 instructions to do the exact same thing in x86_64 making the translation of that instruction 100x slower.
The same thing happens with the GPU except it is a little bit different here. A Gamecube/Wii will always have the same GPU where a computer can have a million different kinds of GPU's. On the Gamecube/Wii the developers can give the GPU instructions immediately. On a computer with all those different GPU's the instructions need to be translated so they know what to do. This translation happens in an API (Vulkan, D3D, OpenGL) each with their own strengths and weaknesses and possibilities. Also: The same thing that applies to CPU's applies here. 1 instruction in the one thing might take 100 in the other API. And because the GPU in the GC/Wii can be spoken to directly the developers can do things that are impossible to do on a PC GPU and they need to be emulated as well making it even slower.
Then the sound and the controllers needs to be be emulated as well as all other things that are part of a console... which works in exact the same way as described above.

Quick EDIT:
Not a real example but this might help a bit:
I can tell a Gamecube/Wii this: "draw a circle of this size at this spot on the screen." = 1 instruction
To do the same thing on a PC I need to do this: "Put a pixel at spot a, put a pixel at spot b, put a pixel at spot c, put a pixel at spot d, put a pixel at spot e ..-.. put a pixel on spot z" this example uses a-z and draws a 26 pixel big circle = 26 instructions.
That sure was a high effort response to a low effort thread.
(02-08-2018, 08:13 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]That sure was a high effort response to a low effort thread.

Well... He keeps making threads about making Dolphin faster (on his low end computer) and it gets on my tits, since it has been explained to him numerous times. So I decided to do a nice write up trying to explain, as clearly as I am able to, what the technical difficulties are to "make dolphin faster" the problem is that it is a very technical matter that is not easily explained.

Yesterday I made a huge write up about how adding more cores doesn't immediately create a faster computer/software. It was a complete explanation of a "game" that I actually used when I was a trainer for IBM and everyone completely understood afterwards... but stupid me accidentally deleted it when I changed to a different website in that same tab... (I made it at work), I will create that post again sometime today or tomorrow.
so sometimes its the emulators fault that the game is slow am i right?
Not really. When Dolphin runs slowly, it's due to the host computer (your computer) not having enough power to emulate things at full speed. So in that case, the hardware is at fault.

A slowdown caused by Dolphin would be something like memory leaks (Dolphin accidentally uses a bunch of RAM, and causes the entire system to slowdown). Another example would be improper coding that unnecessarily halts or stalls program execution (unoptimized code, or just a bug). But these kinds of slowdowns where Dolphin is to blame are very rare. Chances are, if Dolphin is running slowly, your hardware is too slow.
so the memory leaks is the one slowing the emulator, well i guess dolphin needs to reduce ram usage just like cemu did with 1.11.4b
Pages: 1 2 3 4