Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Some issues with majoras mask
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im getting some really bad fps and some of the textures seems to be glitched out. Any way to fix it?
Are you running the VC version or the Collectors edition version?
Have you tried the latest dev build of Dolphin?
Im playing the collectors edition and i got the latest version of dolphin.
I think this is one of those games that still has performance issues in Dolphin. In Dolphins Advanced settings, put the CPU clock override at 150% and see if that helps.
Also remember that this game runs at 17FPS for NTSC-U and 15FPS for PAL unless you use one of those hacks that make it run at higher FPS, if you do: turn them off, they cause waaaay too many glitches and lockups in certain parts of the game.
Doesn't it run at 20 FPS for NTSC and 17 FPS for PAL?
NTSC-U is 20 FPS for sure. And yeah, PAL is 17 FPS. This goes for every version of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask except for the 3DS remakes which both run at 30 FPS.

The console versions of the N64 Zelda games should work fine without enabling the CPU Clock Override, unless you start use AR codes that enhance the draw distance, FPS or maybe even widescreen. The only version that has some lag is Majora's Mask for the Collector's Edition. That lag is present on the actual hardware itself too and is mostly noticeable within Clock Town. The Virtual Console version of Majora's Mask does not have the same lag issue. Just set the CPU Clock Override to around 150% when using the Collector's Edition version of Majora's Mask, not only does it fix the lag, it makes the gameplay even smoother than you would remember.

A side note, the submarine in the Dire Dire Docks stage of Super Mario 64 causes lag too, even on the actual hardware. Enabling the CPU Clock Override fixes the lag too there.

Since your textures seems to be glitched, try to verify your disc dump. Maybe there is something wrong with that (an error occured during your dumping process?). I can confirm that the NTSC-U Collector's Edition disc run perfectly without any major issues in the latest Dolphin. You might need to disable Store EFB Copies to Texture Only since the pause menu in both Zelda N64 games have a black background otherwise. If it is just the N64 games on the Collector's Edition disc you could enable Anisotropic Filtering and Force Texture Filtering as well, as those only cause issues in the NES games.

If you have any codes enabled, trying testing the game for a while without them.

(01-20-2018, 10:15 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Also remember that this game runs at 17FPS for NTSC-U and 15FPS for PAL unless you use one of those hacks that make it run at higher FPS, if you do: turn them off, they cause waaaay too many glitches and lockups in certain parts of the game.

This is not true at all. As said 20 FPS for NTSC-U and 17 FPS for PAL. The 30 FPS code is only usable for Ocarina of Time. Use the latest FPS code since there are multiple iterations of it. You should avoid the FPS code for the Collector's Edition version of Ocarina of Time as there is a much better working version for the NTSC-U Master Quest disc. There are some issues, but I never encountered a lock-up because of it. There is a toggle-button built in the code. Just press the D-pad Up to toggle between 20 FPS and 30 FPS mode. You should get used to it to switch between those modes. Most of the issues occurs when throwing stuff for example (which does not reach as far in 30 FPS) or certain scripted fights such as the Lizalfos in Dodongo's Cavern (they didn't have any issues in the other dungeons). It is better to avoid using 30 FPS during boss battles as well. Bosses attack and act way too fast. There could be an issue where the victory cutscene after the Fire Temple boss could lockup the game in 30 FPS. But most of the time I could just run the game at 30 FPS. Issues such as crawling and using the hookshot have been since long ago fixed.

Both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are two of the games I replayed the most times. I am still doing at least one 100% run for both games a year on Dolphin. I did 100% complete Ocarina of Time using the latest 30 FPS code at least one and played both games enough to ensure there is not a major issue that prevents me from playing and fully completing them. I even run Super Mario 64 at least once a year on Dolphin. I have been using Dolphin for quite some years now.
Sorry, I appeared to have been completely wrong about the speeds. I wasn't 100% sure but I knew they were running at lower FPS than 25-30/50-60; About the 30FPS codes, I haven't used them in a long time and I remembered it being completely f-ed up at the time I used them. It might still be worthwhile to check if you are using the latest versions of these codes (if you are using them)
The GameCube version actually runs like shit on console. The emulator they used had a built-in frameskip, and it barely would hit 20 FPS in most scenes. It runs way worse than the N64.
Luckily with Dolphin's CPU override, if you overclock high enough, you can actually make it lag LESS than the N64 version. However, the graphical errors the GC version introduced will still be present. They really fucked this port to be honest, but you can make it work.
Pages: 1 2