Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Some issues with majoras mask
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Set Dolphin's CPU Clock Override to 160%. This will increase the framerate in Clock Town from around 7-8 FPS to 18-19 FPS.

Of course, this won't work if you're on a weak computer like a laptop. In that case, you might want to buy the 3DS version and dump it for use with Citra. The 3DS version runs at a native 30 FPS and has far superior textures and visuals.
(01-21-2018, 02:23 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Luckily with Dolphin's CPU override, if you overclock high enough, you can actually make it lag LESS than the N64 version. However, the graphical errors the GC version introduced will still be present. They really fucked this port to be honest, but you can make it work.

It didnt run too well on my gamecube, but it didnt run as bad as it does on dolphin either.
(01-31-2018, 09:51 PM)emuguy Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't run too well on my gamecube, but it didn't run *that* bad as it does on dolphin.

Why don't you just run the game with a n64 emu like pj64?

You can even exctract the .rom files from the gamecube disc and boot them up in project64 like any other n64 game
(02-03-2018, 09:42 AM)Chriztr Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you just run the game with a n64 emu like pj64?

You can even exctract the .rom files from the gamecube disc and boot them up in project64 like any other n64 game

Well, to be honest i just want to play all my games on one emulator.
Try listing all your settings here, perhaps we can find a faulty setting for ya.

First, make sure you can run the game properly without any cheats enabled. Second, do you run at texture pack? Try running it disabled for a while and if using a texture pack make sure you're using the latest DDS BC7 pack and that you are prefetching the textures. Small detail also, make sure you don't dump any textures which causes a noticeable slowdown.

Other aspects you should check is the Anti-Aliasing which can be demanding, the Shader Compilation setting (althrough using exclusive Ubershaders does not case any slowdown for Majora's Mask as far as I have seen) and the option for Store EFB Copies to Texture Only.

The game requires Store EFB Copies to Texture Only disabled in order for the pause menu to display the game background instead of a black background, but it does decrease emulation speed. Enabling it anyway does not cause any game-breaking issues and you can perfectly run the game from start to finish with the option enabled. It only affects the pause menu background as far as I am aware (in Ocarina of Time it affects the equipment screen as well where it showcases Link, but that should be no issue either).

Fun fact, the GameCube version has proper support with the Free Look setting, allowing you to look around the entire map. The Virtual Console version does not cooperate really well with it.
Why is it that people are working on widescreen codes and texture packs for Marjora's Mask Collector's Edition and not the virtual console version?
Because the Collector's Edition version is technologically superior, despite being a poor port by Nintendo themselves. Sound may be very well lacking (never had issues with it) and the game lags incredible (especially Clock Town) if you don't overclock Dolphin's CPU. It is still the superior version having said that. No seriously, it really is. The Virtual Console version has too many limitations. Certain things simply can not be coded/hacked for the Virtual Console version. The Collector's Edition is the only version of Majora's Mask which can run at 60 Hz for PAL users.

The texture pack works fine for the Virtual Console version by the way, but as said due it's limitations, certain textures in some area's could still be missing, since the VC version does things a little bit differently. Termina Field already immediately pops up with some differences in textures. But getting a texture pack to work with the VC version is considerable easier than getting AR/Gecko Codes to work with it.

Then again, there are simply too many versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask to keep track off. Collector's Edition disc, Master Quest disc, Virtual Console releases. All each in PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J. You can only focus on so many version at a time. And since the GameCube discs in NTSC-U are preferable, those receive the larger focus.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to play the game again anytime soon. Over a year ago I beat the Virtual Console NTSC-U version on dolphin and posted a youtube about the remaining UI issues left to solve. It doesn't matter to me if the VC version stops receiving support. I thought I was playing the preferable version at time (based on what codes were available at the time and lack of lag) and maybe it was.

It's nice to see that people have made the game look better since then even if it's on the Collector's Edition.
(01-25-2019, 01:41 AM)Thrakk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to play the game again anytime soon. Over a year ago I beat the Virtual Console NTSC-U version on dolphin and posted a youtube about the remaining UI issues left to solve. It doesn't matter to me if the VC version stops receiving support. I thought I was playing the preferable version at time (based on what codes were available at the time and lack of lag) and maybe it was.

It's nice to see that people have made the game look better since then even if it's on the Collector's Edition.

I don't recall being the Virtual Console version more preferable over the Collector's Edition after Dolphin received the CPU Clock Override functionality. It might be more preferable from Dolphin's accuracy, stability and performance perspective but not from the AR/Gecko Codes and texture pack perspective.

Nevertheless, the VC version will not stop receiving support. The texture pack will still officially support the VC version. Most of the changes should affect the VC version as well and the remainder will be worked on at some point eventually, just a bit slower with a lower priority.
I just got the n64 version of majoras mask and it runs almost perfectly without glitches, but i still only get like 20 fps. Why does it only run with 20 fps when a game like super mario 64 run with 30 fps?
Pages: 1 2