Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why do Nintendo consoles never make use of antialiasing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More specifically, the Wii, and DS handhelds, never seemed to make use of antialiasing, and that's extremely prevalent in the Pokemon and Animal Crossing videos.

I've noticed that even in Breath of the Wild sometimes it seems like there's 2x or 4x AA but other times I'm like, why the hell is there so many jaggies?

Why doesn't Nintendo go with FXAA or even conservative morphological antialiasing?
The n64 has anti-aliasing so I would imagine that at least the GC/wii do too.
(12-12-2017, 10:37 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]The n64 has anti-aliasing so I would imagine that at least the GC/wii do too.

The GC and Wii do support anti-aliasing, but Factor 5 are basically the only ones who used it.
Even post-processing anti-aliasing puts more strain on the system. When FXAA was new and implemented on the Xbox 360 and PS3, it was set up differently to FXAA on the PC versions of the same games, as what was nearly 'free' on a PC GPU actually took several milliseconds on a console of the era, which can be a significant portion of the time allotted to render each frame. The Wii was less powerful than the other consoles of its generation, so would have struggled even more, and the WiiU wasn't a huge amount more powerful than the 360 and PS3 so might also have struggled.
WiiU and Switch AA are quite often used by game developers. Nintendo itself don't seem to be a big fan of it tho.
Because the Wii share a lot of GameCube's hardware, no AA looked fine in CRT tvs 480i in 2001, and AA is expensive especially for weak hardware, so most games didn't use it.