Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Windows ARM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, as many know windows will soon release a version for ARM architectures  Smile !
But compared to Windows RT (how they dared Huh ) one can run apps designed for x86 through an emulation system natively included in this Windows ARM.
So I come to the question that Dolphin that is compiled for x86 will be compiled for ARM  Huh ? Because it seems to me that emulating an emulator is not a very good idea  Tongue . (Microsoft announces that the export of an application originally for x86 can be exported to ARM in a few clicks with Visual Studio, I doubt that it is applicable for dolphin).

Off topic :Imagine a phone under windows 10 arm with a touch xinput emulator on the screen Big Grin
Thaaat's going to depend on their implementation. But if they tie it with UWP or the Windows Store, Dolphin just won't be able to support it in any way.

EnergyCube Wrote:Off topic :Imagine a phone under windows 10 arm with a touch xinput emulator on the screen

Well, that experience is not hard to imagine, I mean, we have an android version with touch support... Though a Windows 10 phone, THAT is hard to imagine happening!
(11-04-2017, 01:52 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]But if they tie it with UWP or the Windows Store, Dolphin just won't be able to support it in any way.

What?

UWP supports what Dolphin needs fine.

D3D is available. I'd be surprised if GL wasn't available. UWP allows JIT.

We probably couldn't publish on their store, but sideloading apps is entirely possible and not particularly hard. Not unlike what we already do with Android.

Now, whether anybody wants to do it is pretty obviously no.
Oh, AFAIK the MS x86 emulator will only support 32 bit application, not x64. They expect everyone releasing only 64 bit binaries to recompile themself to ARM. And indeed, that is what we can do / shall do. Using our ARM JIT is a lot better than generating x64 code and retranslate it *again* to ARM.

But sadly, I haven't seen such an recent windows device on arm. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one at some day...
(11-04-2017, 04:14 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]What?

UWP supports what Dolphin needs fine.

D3D is available. I'd be surprised if GL wasn't available. UWP allows JIT.

We probably couldn't publish on their store, but sideloading apps is entirely possible and not particularly hard. Not unlike what we already do with Android.

Now, whether anybody wants to do it is pretty obviously no.

No !
The new Windows 10 ARM is not limited to the windows store! It supports x32 and x64 applications natively by emulating them, Windows limited to the windows store was Windows RT (and Windows S I think). So here it is about whether Dolphin will compile for ARM someday because Dolphin will be functional but very slow since Dolphin is an x64 software so it will emulate, and emulate an emulator is a bad thing in terms of performance.
(11-04-2017, 08:13 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, AFAIK the MS x86 emulator will only support 32 bit application, not x64. They expect everyone releasing only 64 bit binaries to recompile themself to ARM. And indeed, that is what we can do / shall do. Using our ARM JIT is a lot better than generating x64 code and retranslate it *again* to ARM.

But sadly, I haven't seen such an recent windows device on arm. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one at some day...

The new Windows 10 ARM support x32 and x64 architecture ! '[color=#000000]access to Windows Store & fully compatible to all x86, x32 & x64 programs'[/color]

[color=#000000]It's the windows 10 ARM [color=#000000]Cloud who does not support it natively.[/color][/color]
(11-04-2017, 01:52 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Thaaat's going to depend on their implementation. But if they tie it with UWP or the Windows Store, Dolphin just won't be able to support it in any way.

Well, that experience is not hard to imagine, I mean, we have an android version with touch support... Though a Windows 10 phone, THAT is hard to imagine happening!

Well, the new Windows 10 ARMs will be able to execute the .exe x32 and x64 as well as of course ARM but to run Dolphin x64 on ARM is to emulate the emulator it's stupid, it's a very big loss of performance.
(11-05-2017, 01:55 AM)EnergyCube Wrote: [ -> ]The new Windows 10 ARM support x32 and x64 architecture ! '[color=#000000]access to Windows Store & fully compatible to all x86, x32 & x64 programs'[/color]
[color=#000000]It's the windows 10 ARM [color=#000000]Cloud who does not support it natively.[/color][/color]

No Windows version supports x32. x86 emulation was announced long ago. But I haven't found anything about x64 emulation, so where have you read about it?
(11-05-2017, 02:28 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]No Windows version supports x32. x86 emulation was announced long ago. But I haven't found anything about x64 emulation, so where have you read about it?

oh yes I read wrong. Sorry
But Dolphin has a x32 version so the question don't change.
Dolphin has dropped its 32 bit version, so you'll only get it nativly on windows on arm, without any emulation.
Pages: 1 2