Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Windows ARM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-05-2017, 02:28 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]No Windows version supports x32. x86 emulation was announced long ago. But I haven't found anything about x64 emulation, so where have you read about it?

When they said "x86" emulation they meant intel and AMD CPU's. They didn't mean 32-bit. https://youtu.be/ONI0zfEnBPU Here is a video from the Microsoft WinHEC2016 event showcasing Windows 10 running on a Snapdragon 820 CPU. They showed that it was a 64 bit operating system and even demonstrated Adobe Photoshop, a 64-bit application.

There wouldn't need to be any changes to the emulator itself. In fact, if the performance is so bad with the Windows 10 emulation (which seems to have great performance) there could always be some porting of the android dolphin emulator to windows 10 and compiled for ARM so it could run natively with no performance loss. This is truly amazing, Windows 10 tablets are now that much better, they run Windows 10, they run Android emulators for Android apps, and can soon run GCN and Wii games at 100% speed. The future is bright!
(11-05-2017, 03:37 AM)Peter Njeim Wrote: [ -> ]When they said "x86" emulation they meant intel and AMD CPU's. They didn't mean 32-bit. https://youtu.be/ONI0zfEnBPU Here is a video from the Microsoft WinHEC2016 event showcasing Windows 10 running on a Snapdragon 820 CPU. They showed that it was a 64 bit operating system and even demonstrated Adobe Photoshop, a 64-bit application.

There is a 32-bit version of Photoshop too, isn't there? I can't see anything in the video that says they were using the 64-bit version of Photoshop. So while the video doesn't say that they don't support x86-64 emulation, it doesn't say that they do support x86-64 emulation.
(11-05-2017, 03:37 AM)Peter Njeim Wrote: [ -> ]When they said "x86" emulation they meant intel and AMD CPU's. They didn't mean 32-bit. https://youtu.be/ONI0zfEnBPU Here is a video from the Microsoft WinHEC2016 event showcasing Windows 10 running on a Snapdragon 820 CPU. They showed that it was a 64 bit operating system and even demonstrated Adobe Photoshop, a 64-bit application.

There wouldn't need to be any changes to the emulator itself. In fact, if the performance is so bad with the Windows 10 emulation (which seems to have great performance) there could always be some porting of the android dolphin emulator to windows 10 and compiled for ARM so it could run natively with no performance loss. This is truly amazing, Windows 10 tablets are now that much better, they run Windows 10, they run Android emulators for Android apps, and can soon run GCN and Wii games at 100% speed. The future is bright!

It's true I'm of the same opinion I look forward to seeing the surprises ARM, WINDOWS 10 ARM PHONE Big Grin , there is a fair that Dolphin is compile in ARM in the coming months Angel .
The fact that they were using 64bit Windows doesn't mean they have 64bit emulation either - Windows itself should run natively on the chip, no emulation required.
(11-05-2017, 03:56 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]There is a 32-bit version of Photoshop too, isn't there? I can't see anything in the video that says they were using the 64-bit version of Photoshop. So while the video doesn't say that they don't support x86-64 emulation, it doesn't say that they do support x86-64 emulation.

You are right, after a bit of research, I found out that it can only emulate 32-bit x86 applications through Windows on Windows (WoW) emulation (similar to how XP could emulate 16-bit applications). I even checked in the video in task manager the brief moment where it showed the applications and they were all 32-bit. The reason why the OS is 64-bit is because it can run applications compiled for ARM in 64-bit.

I've used Visual Studio for a couple months and there is an option to compile for ARM, however I don't know if that would work for dolphin, and also it would have to support Adreno GPU's so... it would take a solid amount of time and unless demand is high, it probably won't happen soon. There is not yet a time of year when this technology will be released and intel is also threatening to sue Microsoft if they release a x86 instruction set emulator without their consent so there would need to be many negotiations (this is mainly to stop Qualcomm from gaining an advantage in the mobile PC space).

The future is not as bright as it may have seemed.
(11-05-2017, 10:31 AM)Peter Njeim Wrote: [ -> ]The future is not as bright as it may have seemed.

It is not that bad either. Dolphin supports the arm64 ABI and IIRC there was already a microsoft developer in our IRC room talking about how to compile dolphin for arm Wink
 The hardest part (by far) was the wxwidget UI...
(11-05-2017, 10:31 AM)Peter Njeim Wrote: [ -> ]You are right, after a bit of research, I found out that it can only emulate 32-bit x86 applications through Windows on Windows (WoW) emulation (similar to how XP could emulate 16-bit applications). I even checked in the video in task manager the brief moment where it showed the applications and they were all 32-bit. The reason why the OS is 64-bit is because it can run applications compiled for ARM in 64-bit.

I've used Visual Studio for a couple months and there is an option to compile for ARM, however I don't know if that would work for dolphin, and also it would have to support Adreno GPU's so... it would take a solid amount of time and unless demand is high, it probably won't happen soon. There is not yet a time of year when this technology will be released and intel is also threatening to sue Microsoft if they release a x86 instruction set emulator without their consent so there would need to be many negotiations (this is mainly to stop Qualcomm from gaining an advantage in the mobile PC space).

The future is not as bright as it may have seemed.
It is true that Intel did not appreciate the approach of Microsoft and Qualcomm, but announced they started producing ARM processors. Probably in order to concur Qualcomm (which otherwise may be bought by Broadcom according to some sources) ... It's quite complicated but I do not think that something can stop project that seems to be very good. (at least better than Windows RT & S  Tongue )

P.S: I hope the demand will be great Tongue
Pages: 1 2