Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mario Sunshine crashes at Sand Bird / Pinna Park
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the same issue that's in https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/archive/i...45617.html, but hopefully OP will come back this time. Wink

I'm having a problem where my entire desktop will freeze while playing Super Mario Sunshine in Dolphin on my rig. Rig details are in my profile, but the gist is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: AMD RX 480
RAM: 16GB

Dolphin 5.0 x64 (Build from Solus repository)

The freeze happens only on certain sequences: namely, when I'm entering the boss battle in Pinna Park or the Sand Bird stage. It seems to occur at some point during the stage loading, while the entire screen is white after selecting a shine to play.

Because I'm on Linux, I can really only test the OpenGL renderer. I tried with software, but it took about two minutes to get to the file select and I gave up.

What info do you need from me to help troubleshoot?
Are you running the latest BIOS on your board? My friend had issues running games in general on his Ryzen 7 system on old BIOS versions
I am running the latest BIOS from MSI, straight from here.
Are you using official AMD drivers or open-source drivers for your GPU?
Have you tried building Dolphin yourself? https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...n_on_Linux
I'm using the open-source drivers and mesa 17.2.3.

I've just tried to build Dolphin from source and got version 5.0-5739. Unfortunately, this exhibits the same behavior.

I'm not finding anything in dmesg or any x.org/lightdm logs. They're completely silent. Luckily, I am able to use SSH when the displays are frozen so there's some type of life on the computer.
We've ruled out most things I can think of, time to check if your disc dump is good.

In Dolphin, right click on Super Mario Sunshine, click on Properties, go to the Info tab, and Compute the MD5 checksum. If it doesn't match one of the three below, the you have a bad ISO and need to redump the game.

The American (NTSC-U) version should be: 0c6d2edae9fdf40dfc410ff1623e4119
The Japanese (NTSC-J) version should be: 3b07a4bb22db926b177e207f9d7f0d87
The European (PAL) version should be: 72c4860d8555d5e790628e348abc244d
Mine matches the NTSC-U version, seems like we're okay there.
There are certain cheatcodes that will cause the game to crash in spots.
I'm not using any cheat codes and I've got the settings as recommended on the Dolphin Wiki page for the game. Big Grin