Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What do I need to upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried running a couple of gamecube games and they were really laggy and the sound was choppy - really was unplayable. The computer I am using for this is pretty old but recently I put windows 10 on it (started with vista lol). I cant find any info on graphics card so believe it to be integrated, however there is a pciex16 slot on my motherboard so I was thinking I should upgrade what ever crap is in there currently.

I have intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5ghz 3gb ram on windows 10. Please can someone advise what I need to upgrade in order to possibly manage a playable experience. Im not after super HD etc etc just something that plays smooth. Equally I want to keep cost as low as possible. I believe I need a decent graphics card but not sure where to start. I am hoping to play gamecube and if at all possible wii u games.

thank you in advance
A GPU would definitely help. Can probably snag a 750ti that doesn't require a PCI-E power connector pretty cheap.

A lot of games still won't be full speed though. That is an old CPU, and emulation is very single thread perf reliant.

Upgrading the CPU on a platform that old won't allow you to upgrade to anything worth while.
A Core 2 Quad Q9500 will perform slightly better than your current CPU, so if you can't change the motherboard then replacing the CPU would help.

Track down an older GPU that doesn't need a six-pin power connector, like the GTX 650 or GTX 750. Your PCIe slot is probably version 1.0 or 2.0, which will result in reduced performance on modern GPUs, so don't pay too much for one.

You should also consider [removed] which has lower performance requirements.
A recent Pentium chip will be multiple times faster then your current CPU

A G4620 with integrated HD630 will also give you graphic performance as long as you don't want to push the enhancements too much. The old GMA integrated graphics are basically worthless for everything besides basic video acceleration. The more recent HD500/600 series have caught up to the low end discreet cards pretty well.
(08-20-2017, 09:26 AM)seoulgamer Wrote: [ -> ]which has lower performance requirements.

False.
seoulgamer please remember that it is against the rules to recommend a fork for performance reasons. Besides, you were wrong, that fork isn't actually faster!
(08-20-2017, 10:51 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]seoulgamer please remember that it is against the rules to recommend a fork for performance reasons. Besides, you were wrong, that fork isn't actually faster!

Whoops, sorry. I thought it was just against the rules to ask for help with it outside of the official thread.

As far as i know the core 2 quad q9300 doesn't have integrated graphics. So there's an actual gpu inside that computer already. Before recommending another gpu, it should be checked what it is, because it's likely to not give any performance upgrade. (well other than being able to use higher resolutions) You can use something like GPU-Z to identify your gpu.

A core 2 quad q9500 wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Instead of going that way, i'd look into overclocking the core 2 quad q9300, if you can afford to get new mainboard + cpu + ram, if it should break. In general, i suspect that the cpu the bottleneck here. Check out:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
there you can see that a newer i3 cpu should be more than 2x as fast for Dolphin in the important single core performance aspect. On the other hand your cpu is a quad core, which might give you a boost of about 20% over a dual core. A newer i3 should also have integrated graphics that's good enough to play at low resolution, which might be better than what you have now.

That being said, i wonder if you checked out all possibilities there are on the software side of things. If you post screenshots of your general and graphics settings, maybe someone can spot a setting that is bad for performance.
If they have an empty pci-e slot, chances are they have the abysmal Intel GMA GPU. Most prebuilts back in the Vista days didn't bother with anything better. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to assume literally any GPU in the last 5 years would be leaps and bounds better than what they have now
Thanks for the response everyone. I have taken some screen shots as suggested and also looked at GPU-Z (I didn't know this existed) I have included a screen shot of the result of this also. If I am missing any other useful info please let me know. All shots so far can be viewed here: http://imgur.com/a/0qBM7

My power supply is only 350w so I like the idea of a gtx 750 as it says on geforce website recommended min is 300w. I can get a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 2GB
DX11 for £60. Regarding processor I could stretch to Intel Core i3-4160 (3.6Ghz) LGA1150 on top of the graphics card, for an extra £40. This all I suppose is dependent on what you guys think.... would it be worth the investment given my other hardware? If it allows me to run a smooth emulation I think so.
Pages: 1 2