Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Octa Core Proccesor Support For Dolphin! :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

RNS00000

I have 2 quad cores in my pc and i cant play games without lag because dolphin does not upport more than 2 cores =(
I believe dolphin needs to start supporting more cores than its currently supporting today! why limit this prgrams potential?
(07-27-2017, 09:30 AM)RNS00000 Wrote: [ -> ]I have 2 quad cores in my pc and i cant play games without lag because dolphin does not upport more than 2 cores =(
I believe dolphin needs to start supporting more cores than its currently supporting today! why limit this prgrams potential?

Dolphin already uses more than two threads in specific situations where it's safe (DSP LLE on separate thread).
No emulator uses that many threads, the very nature of emulation means that at most you can have one thread for the CPU, one for the GPU, etc. Splitting them up further would take more time tan it's worth.
Tldr: your computer just isn't very good for emulation, because it has a lot of slow cores rather than a few fast ones.
As a general rule of thumb, it's extremely difficult to efficiently use more than 1 core per asynchronous hardware block - you'll end up spending more time synchronizing the multiple threads than the speedup of the extra cores. It's pointless to try to make it use extra cores if it ends up *slower*.

So it's unlikely this will change much in the future, no matter how much development time is put into it.
You tell us how you emulate a GameCube more efficiently on 8 cores than two and we'll get right on it.
The FAQ will tell you why that can´t be done (and even if it was possible, why it´s not factible).
lemme just increase NUM_THREADS in the JIT.

Thanks for the suggestion.
(07-27-2017, 09:58 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]No emulator uses that many threads

If I recall correctly, RPCS3 does. But that's not comparable to Dolphin, because the PS3 has multiple CPU cores and the GameCube/Wii doesn't.
(07-28-2017, 06:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If I recall correctly, RPCS3 does. But that's not comparable to Dolphin, because the PS3 has multiple CPU cores and the GameCube/Wii doesn't.

Also, "using more threads" doesn't mean linear performance increase - having a thread do dsp/gpu/other stuff means jack if it's sitting at 10% utilisation on a core bottlenecked by the 'cpu' thread.
Well, the console games are made exactly to fit the system hardware, I guess most games will make a good use of all threads of the CPU. PC games are made to fit many hardwares, so this is why rarelly more than 4 threads is needed. The utilization of all PS3 CPU threads is the only explaination for GTA V to run on a 2005 processor.
Pages: 1 2 3