Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Missing/Broken Lighting Effect in Crash:WoC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know where the best place for something like this is, but I figured this was significant enough to report about. In the level 'Knight Time', the level is supposed to be totally dark, with you following a firefly through the level in order to see where you're going. In Dolphin 5.0 (and I mean 5.0, no patches or nothing) with DX11 backend, this effect is completely missing, making the whole point of the level moot. I don't know if the latest latest version of Dolphin fixes it but I imagine the Dolphin devs haven't done a full playthrough of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex on their emulator just to see one level screwed up (this level can only be accessed by beating the game + 5 relics). 

Maybe this broken lighting effect is part of a wider conspiracy with other games having their one-off gimmick levels ruined, but I don't know. The rest of the game works just fine (or at least, as fine as it did on Gamecube, slowdowns and all). There's some minor transparency issues in some levels too but nothing as blatantly broken as this.

[Image: P5vf55B.png]
Can you get a 2 - 3 frame fifolog of this area?

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=FifoPlayer
(06-30-2017, 06:29 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you get a 2 - 3 frame fifolog of this area?

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=FifoPlayer

Will do. I'll have it some time tomorrow.
Also, I have the game so if you have a savefile throw that on here too.
Here you go. Also contains a fifolog concerning the transparency issue I also mentioned. Hope it helps!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/58zha2v73r...2Bsave.zip
Do you know what the transparency one is supposed to look like? I odn't see what's broken.
(07-03-2017, 09:37 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know what the transparency one is supposed to look like?  I odn't see what's broken.

To be specific, it seems to happen whenever two transparent objects overlap each other, with the entity seemingly always appearing in front of the environment. Picture shows what they are supposed to look like, but do not display correctly in Dolphin. In the case of the whirlwind, you'd be able to see the bottom of the whirlwind in front of the metal grating as opposed to behind it as it should be.

[Image: PZXvpdb.png]
To end this goose chase for anyone in the future looking at this thread... cause you can find it via google...
[Image: Kf66Tjn.png]

The example shown in the first post about Missing/Broken lights is due to the user comparing footage to the PS2 version, it's this video here.
The other thing to know about the GameCube version (besides actually being the one that has the worst performance) is that it's the version that takes a hit with more simplistic lighting (see this level which is being discussed), there's also some design difference in the Warp Room which became more simplified compared to the other two ports.

Also as a extremely late note you don't need a save file for the GC-PAL/NTSC versions. You can put in "WOMBAT" when selecting New Game at the title screen.
And Knight Time level is Secret Hub - Level 26 (middle platform) for future notes.