Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Load dolphin directly into the Wii menu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm on a development build and I'm curious to know if there are any builds out there that let me boot doplhin directly into the Wii's main menu.  Can this be accomplished via the command line?  I ask because it would be helpful when pairing dolphin to a graphical front end.  Thanks
Depends whether or not you have your System Menu present as a WAD file or installed to NAND.
If it's the latter, No you can't boot from it (although just downloading the System Menu version your using NUSDownloader and packing it into a WAD should work fine).

After that, just use the '-e' parameter (preferably on NoGUI)
(Just use --help if you are unsure about an option)
What is the difference between "installing" it to NAND, like I have done, or "Presenting" it as a WAD file. Are there any current clear cut instructions for converting from my current NAND install to a WAD install like you are describing? What is NUSDownloader, and will I still be able to load my purchased games using this method? Thanks
(06-21-2017, 05:11 AM)jachin99 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the difference between "installing" it to NAND, like I have done, or "Presenting" it as a WAD file.  Are there any current clear cut instructions for converting from my current NAND install to a WAD install like you are describing?  What is NUSDownloader, and will I still be able to load my purchased games using this method?  Thanks

NUSDownloader is a utility for downloading titles from Nintendos Update Server. You can find out more about it and obtain it here.

If you just use the WAD you got from NUSD to start the system menu, yes you'll be able to play your games and your current NAND won't be touched (just don't install it).

There is no clear "guide" for it, but here's the short version (you can read more on how to use NUSD in the link provided above):

1. Open NUSD and click on the Database button, a dropdown menu should appear
  2. Now go to System -> System Menu and click on the version you have currently installed (You can find that out by opening the system settings, it should be in one of the corners)
  3. Check "Pack WAD" and click on the Start NUS Download button
  4. You should now have a system menu WAD in the folder where you installed NUSD in the subdirectory titles/0000000100000002/
From there on out you can just use the instructions I provided in my first post.

Cheers.
Quote:What is the difference between "installing" it to NAND, like I have done, or "Presenting" it as a WAD file. Are there any current clear cut instructions for converting from my current NAND install to a WAD install like you are describing? What is NUSDownloader, and will I still be able to load my purchased games using this method? Thanks
Hopefully you won't need to do this soon enough, after Dolphin gains the ability to boot NAND titles directly. (There has been preliminary work, but it's not complete yet.)

Booting from WADs without installing is a hack that has been here for way too long and that I plan to remove soon.
When I install this on my PC will I have to delete my NAND backup or modify my install of dolphin in any way?
Dolphin can't actually use your NAND image right now. You can import it into Dolphin, which will extract it. The "install" feature and emulated software use that copy, not the original image.
Sorry but I'm still kinda lost. If I'm reading this right I can download NUS downloader to the PC where dolphin has been installed, and use it to navigate to my nand backup so that I can pack my games into WAD files, correct? If I am using NUS Downloader to extract files from the wii, then at some point I would have to connect to the Wii to my PC, and use NUS Downloader to grab those files or am I wrong? I'll look around for more tutorials but I'm wondering if I can just kind of get the jist of it, and do this on my own without an internet tutorial.
I have this kind of figured out but I'm not sure that the games I've bought can be downloaded by NUS Downloader. Those games are Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64. When I select those games from the database, I get a message saying they cannot be packed/Decrypted. The only thing I have been successful at so far with NUS Downloader is downloading WII menu version 513, which from what I can tell has overwritten my NAND backup on this particular PC, and cause me to lose my saves. Have you had success downloading either of these games, and packing them as WADs?
They are not meant to be downloaded with NUS Downloader nor packed as WADs.
Pages: 1 2 3